Newbie Here

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My girlfriend popped a seed under her weak ass grow light and the thing got 5" tall with just the starting leaves and dropped over the solo cup. I propped it up and put it under a real grow light. Once it was strong enough to stand on it's own I repotted it, but as suggested here I repotted it deep to cover most the the white stem it had. You may want a stronger light and when you do repot, plant it deep.

Here is "Spindly"....yes she named it!
upload_2020-5-3_6-25-38.png

2 weeks later:
upload_2020-5-3_6-26-30.png

My purpose for these plants are to be outside throughout the summer. So I don’t wish to spend a ton of money on an indoor setup. So the 1200watt led (I know it’s not really 1200watts) hopefully will get the job done. It’s on 24/7 with the Veg setting. These being auto flowering do I need to use the flower lights? Are there any benefits to running both sets of lights 24/7?

My purpose for these plants are to be outside throughout the summer. So I don’t wish to spend a ton of money on an indoor setup. So the 1200watt led (I know it’s not really 1200watts) hopefully will get the job done. It’s on 24/7 with the Veg setting. These being auto flowering do I need to use the flower lights? Are there any benefits to running both sets of lights 24/7?

If you plan to stick them outside soon I wouldn't bother running your lights on a 24 hr schedule, I do that for indoor growing though. I'm not sure why you're smothering them in closed up spaces. Your plants want air flow, having a gentle breeze blowing on them from a small fan will help strengthen them. Just enough so that the leaves have a good flutter going will make them happier that being stifled. Best of luck!

The reason I had them so close was so that they got the most they could from the light. I have them spread out more in solo cups. I did have a small fan on them and will continue to do so. The reason for the 24 hr light was to get them as big as I could in the next 30 days before they go outside.

Glad to hear you've had a fan on them, that's good. Yeah, I wasn't sure about the light change dropping off like that but definitely makes sense to help get them bigger before going out. I don't bother with outdoors, perfectly content to grow indoors where I can control their environment and pay more attention to them so I don't really know how that affects them, just seemed liked it would be keeping things more natural before going into nature.
Did you say they were autos? Can't remember. Have no real experience with those either, don't like the idea of not being able to take cuts is a big reason why. Probably shoulda stayed out of this one... Again, good luck.

Hahah no worries at all. Yes they are autos. I appreciate the advice regardless. We are in a temp house while we are building. We are moving to 3 acres which is why I wanted outdoor grow atleast for summer. But I also don’t want to rack up the electric bill because my aunt is letting us use her house and she’s paying bills lol.

Getting bigger :) when does sexing begin. I saw for male it’s 2-3 weeks and female is a big longer. Will the plants me much bigger before I get to that stage.

Attachments

• BAEBA758-2652-4A00-939F-A04383A472EB.jpeg
    BAEBA758-2652-4A00-939F-A04383A472EB.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 9ACF7600-5322-4EA7-BE02-38C573E53754.jpeg
    9ACF7600-5322-4EA7-BE02-38C573E53754.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 15
Quick question. Should i clip off some of the yellowed leaves from a few weeks ago. Those leaves don’t appear to be growing.

My rule of thumb is if a low yellow leaf is touching the soil, which could allow it to rot, take it off. But otherwise, let it be and let the plant finish extracting the rest of the nutrients from it to make new growth. When it's ready to drop, it will come off with barely any pulling.

There are two the dont look to be growing up. Is there anything that can help this? Or should I just let them run course. They do seem to be still generating additional nodes. But all of these were germinated at the same time.

Don’t mind the basil lol. It got down to the low 30s the last few night so I added them to the light lol.

Attachments

• A72D53C3-E6F4-4E6E-A614-5AA38C897BD6.jpeg
    A72D53C3-E6F4-4E6E-A614-5AA38C897BD6.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 13
Those two little guys... plants get stunted like that if they're too wet and or too cold when young. Be real careful not to water them beyond the bare minimum... they may wake up.
Nice basil babies!

Ok I’ll chill out in watering. I moved them into solo cups last week so I may have stunted them. It’s hard to tell watering amounts. I usually go in every morning and water. I am just watering by visual moistness. Not even seeing a lot of water out of the drain holes so I don’t think I’m over watering. Maybe I’ll water those every other day and see if they take off.

Oh yeah that's a lot of watering for sprouts. Definitely ease off and water when you pick up the cup and it feels super light. I thought that soil looked a bit moist!

Ok good to know!! I was just going to ask, I am leaving town for a week. What do you think I should do. My options are out them outside? Or just leave them in side with the lights but would be without water for 7 days?? Maybe water them heavy the day i leave and let them go.

Latest posts

Back