Ozone and Odors... and "Ozone Danger"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MysticWolf

Just Me
Reaction score
I'm only going to pop this up because since I'm still new to indoor growing I learned from it so it may help others too ...I know Ionic Breeze units are relatively safe as I use one at the house outside My grow area ...

I just got a panicked call from a friend that all her plants were burning up turning crisp and withering by the min ...I thought Oh crude what did she feed them and I headed over after My stop to another patients house ...I shut everything down in her grow area and cleaned it out for her looked over the plants and man did they look bad spots leaves curled up and burnt to a crisp ...I asked what she had given them the last two feeding she said just plain water ..

I noticed in the room almost a sweet smell and no MJ smell at all I thought... hum... I looked around here is this "Zen Living Air Filter and Ozone Generator" cranked near 3/4 up ....I thought No Not an Air Filter... No Way ...I turned it all the way up sat One and only one of the worst off plants in front of it on high under 3 cfl when out had a smoke and a talk with her ...

10 mins later the plant was seriously dead as dirt ...So if you got one of those or other large volume ozone generator ...and your tent or grow area is pulling in large amounts of ozone ....Watch OUT DANGER WILL ROBINSON.

Her other 5 plants I think will be okay we trimed the burn off in a few places and did a folar feeding and tomorrow I'll take her over a plant from the pod roughly the same size ....

Wow Intersting Day I swear

James

Thanks for the info, I've always heard that a ozone generator doesn't work very well at getting rid of the smell, the hydro store told me they are a waste of money, I'd love to here if you found otherwise? I'd also like to here any expriences you have had with certain generators! I would love to go to ozone instead of my carbon filter if its as effective! So any and all info is appreciated thanks again

Phatpharmer

Well it worked in hers but darn near killed the plants ...perhaps right outside a grow area but I'd say No way to inside or in close proximity ...Now from school I know plants love positive ions so a Positive Ion generator might be good ..Positive ions are produced from Oh thunderstorms waves wind ect...I know they make Positive ION fountains too ...So that might be a thought with someone with far bigger bucks then I to explore

http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/misc/ck1103.htm

In my early years of doing grows at friend's houses we used to use a Uvonair unit but we never ran it inside the room itself. We had a room inside a room built with 1 x 1's and 4 x 8 sheets of insulation board covered with Panda Film. I had to put the unit on a cycle timer even if we ran it in the 'outer' room away from the plants or it would seem to remove odor from the weed! Looking back I think it didn't remove it as much as negatively effect the production of dankness but I'm not a scientist. We ended up moving the unit out of the bedroom entirely.

The room we grew in was at the end of a hallway that also had the washer and dryer in it and we kept it on the laundry shelves about 6 feet from the bedroom's door. It helped keep a "bubble" of treated air around the laundry area and that helped a lot because we had some ventilation and the only place you smelled anything was right near that door late in flower. With the Uvonair it could deal with trace amounts of odor very well. They do say that these units are NOT healthy for people and animals to be around for any length of time so our placement in a laundry area where people on spend a few minutes at a time wasn't a problem.

They can't compare to carbon filters though and I never had peace of mind with my grows until I started using carbon filters about 7-8 years ago. Carbon filters are amazing at containing and completely controlling odors late into flowering.

Good Luck!:cool:

Lil update note I got the gals plants back on track a little foliage water feeding and some tlc they got some spots and a few crisp spots but she is back on track ....Yeah go team and we put her a new plant in roughly the same age as the ozone causality ...Live and learn ...who would have thought... Not I ...but you learn new things every day

James

MYSTIC<<<< way ta save the day and helpin a damsel in distreess there.
(zipflip passes you a dewb man)

PHATFARMER<<<<
Thanks for the info, I've always heard that a ozone generator doesn't work very well at getting rid of the smell
i have a small air purifier thats got ozone gen on it too. and i smoke cigarettes too and it just makes it smell all funky like.
kinda like sprayin glade after ya take a poo. it dont help. it just smells like **** and flowers or fruit. lol.
sorry TMI i know lol. i apologize in advance if anyone is offended by that remark . thank you please drive thru...LOL

Latest posts

Back