Peat, spaghnum in soil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifsixwasnin9

Reaction score
I thought I read that you should avoid these because they hold too much water or something. Then I saw them listed in several soil mix recipes. Which is correct? And are these found in some (or all) commercial composts?

I use Spaghnum Peat when I amend my Soil. I have NOOOOO problem with drainage.

having peat in your soil is fine. i njust dont use it cause i re-use my soil

Does peat or spaghnum contain (or break down into) any good microbes or provide supplemental nutrients?

Found this for ya. I use it in all my Raised Box Gardens.

Peat can also help lower pH in very alkaline soils. It has a pH of 3.4 to 4.8. It is a must when planting acid-loving plants like azaleas, rhododendrons and blueberries. Peat moss is an important ingredient in seed-starting mixes for growers who start seeds indoors.

Other Advantages
Peat moss degrades slowly; although it is organic, it breaks down much slower than most other organic materials, decaying over a period of years, as opposed to approximately one year for most other organics. It is free of insects, contaminants like chemicals and organics like weeds and seeds. Peat moss also improves compost pile efficiency, helping speed up the process while reducing odors and maintaining proper moisture levels. Peat moss is also a renewable resource.

Hope that helped.

Conversely, the acidity of peat can cause problems. It really does not provide any nutrients to the plant--it is mainly a soil conditioner meant to help the soil retain moisture. It is a non-sustaniable resource.

The Good and Bad of Peat Moss.

Overview
Peat moss is partially decomposed organic matter found at the bottom levels of a peat bog, as described by Sherry Rindall on the Iowa State University Department of Horticulture's website. Once harvested, it is packaged and sold as a soil amendment in much of the U.S. The primary source of peat moss for the U.S. are large Canadian peat bogs, where it is commercially harvested for the horticultural market.

Benefits
Peat moss improves the texture and water holding capacity of soil. When added to heavy clay soils, it loosens the soil and improves aeration. This allows roots to access oxygen needed for healthy growth. It also provides loose soil conducive to good root formation to provide plants with moisture and nutrients, and support for growing plants. In sandy soil, peat moss is instrumental in improving its water-holding capacity. Its absorbent nature takes in moisture when it rains and releases it to the surround soil as the soil dries.

Application
The Cornell University Extension recommends adding one-third volume of peat moss when amending soil. Layering 2 to 6 inches, depending on the amount of organic matter already present in the soil, before tilling the soil provides adequate amounts of peat moss to the soil. Working peat moss into the garden soil with a garden tiller incorporates organic matter to the soil.

Cost
For home application, peat moss is relatively expensive, particularly when added to entire gardens. Other less expensive options include composted yard or garden wastes or well-rotted manure to amend soil.

Considerations
Peat moss is acidic and lowers the pH of soil. Depending on the original pH of the soil and the amount of peat moss added, adjusting pH to 6.0 to 6.8 for gardening may be necessary. Typically, a soil test reveals the pH of the soil. Raising pH requires an application of limestone.

Environmental Concerns
Harvesting peat moss may pose a threat to the environment. According to Linda Chalker-Scott on the Washington State University website, restoration projects after harvesting peat moss do result in new growth, but release high levels of CO2, contributing to greenhouse-gas production for several years. However, according to Cornell University Extension, the harvesting of peat moss is regulated and requires restoration and reclamation to develop a sustainable resource. It recommends conservative use of peat moss for horticultural needs

Latest posts

Back