Ph is to high.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharonp

Reaction score
I checked the ph of the soil I am using and it is 8. What can I use to lower it? It should be around 7 right?

Most any ph down sold most anywhere will do the job. Simply add to your water and nute regiments and you can return it to 6.5.

I saw that but didn't know if that was for soil. Thanks! Is rain water high or low ph because this dirt I had set outside to get rained on.

Adjust your water after you add nutes to 6.5 and then check your runoff and then adjust accordingly. What goes in ,,,,isnt what it will always be coming out,,,, so thats why a lot of us check the PH of our runoff. And i doubt that your rain water is at 8.0.

Normal, clean rain has a pH value of between 5.0 and 5.5, which is slightly acidic. However, when rain combines with sulfur dioxide or nitrogen oxides—produced from power plants and automobiles—the rain becomes much more acidic. Typical acid rain has a pH value of 4.0.

Would not a slurry test be a better way to accurately measure the actual PH of Soil being used?
I have done both the runoff and a slurry.

I have one of the meters you put in the soil. Are they accurate?

Personally I would use a meter that reads the mix you give them. I use a soil tester in my garden but I don't depend on it. A good ph pen in about $50. Here is the one I use. You can even get them for less.

• Oakton EcoTestr pH1 Waterproof Pocket Tester
Click image to open expanded view

Oakton EcoTestr pH1 Waterproof Pocket Tester
Brand: Oakton
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 ratings

Price:$58.00 + $7.89 shipping

• Battery: 4 AAAs
  • Buffer Recognition: USA and NIST
  • Calibration: Up to three points
  • Display type: LCD
  • Meter Type: Tester

Wow, I was trying to get away from the test tube test with the capsules, but I guess I need to still test the run off water.

I have a pen Pute but ran outta calibration liquids. Now i use my pool kit.

I use a BlueLab PenPH model , very happy, but with any pen style you have to make sure when stored the probe is kept wet with storage solution
or it can be expensive.
1610305197988.png

Nope,,i have Glow Fish. They could give two shits about PH.
I use my pool kit mostly on my pool but have been using it for a couple yrs on my grows. Seems to work just fine but id rather have my pen working but my lazy ass hasnt bought a new one.😁

Nope,,i have Glow Fish. They could give two shits about PH.
I use my pool kit mostly on my pool but have been using it for a couple yrs on my grows. Seems to work just fine but id rather have my pen working but my lazy ass hasnt bought a new one.😁
What the heck is a Glow fish any pics, do they light up

They most certainly do under a black light.
I actually spelled it wrong. Its Glofish. They do not need a bubbler or extra oxygen. They can live in just about any water as long as it doesn't have a lot of chlorine.
1.jpeg

The GloFish is a patented and trademarked brand of genetically engineered fluorescent fish. A variety of different GloFish are currently on the market. Zebrafish were the first GloFish available in pet stores, and are now sold in bright red, green, orange-yellow, blue, pink, and purple fluorescent colors

Last edited:
They most certainly do under a black light.
I actually spelled it wrong. Its Glofish. They do not need a bubbler or extra oxygen. They can live in just about any water as long as it doesn't have a lot of chlorine.
View attachment 267930 to

The GloFish is a patented and trademarked brand of genetically engineered fluorescent fish. A variety of different GloFish are currently on the market. Zebrafish were the first GloFish available in pet stores, and are now sold in bright red, green, orange-yellow, blue, pink, and purple fluorescent colors
Those are so cool, are they your grand kids or yours Hopper?
I may have to check them out LOL

They are mine. I havent cleaned the tank in awhile and it has green algae everywhere and they are still thriving. They are cool and very easy to car for.

They are mine. I havent cleaned the tank in awhile and it has green algae everywhere and they are still thriving. They are cool and very easy to car for.
Makes me think of The Big Bang show, Dr Sheldon Cooper and his glowfish
1610460577394.png

I used to have a fish tank. I ended up only having gold fish because the other fish kept eating each other. I did have some tetras in there that were fine but try to find fish that can coexist in a fish tank is a lot harder then it looks.

Latest posts

Back