Pictureless grow...where's your imagination?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kailiwela44

Malama ka `aina
Reaction score
I am a unsucessful grower of a female plant. If you are to look at my introduction thread it gives you a basis of my experience in the past, either failure or male, and part of my current grow.
Currently I have two Citral (Nirvana), #1 & #2, which have just survived germination. The worst part of my grow seems to be the temperature, High in the low 90F's. This has been adjusted by adding DIY co2--yeast, sugar, h20 as suggested by this forum. My grow is in a box
23" x 14" x 23" which will be converted to a flower box once my girlfriend, child, and I move into our new home (maybe i'll be able to add pictures then--~12/08). With this grow i will us a 'lst' to keep the plant short and to train all the new growths that will come as i saw in my first grow. The water i will be using is filtered tap water. I adjust the ph to be between 6.0 & 7.0.

#1 is about a few days older than #2.

#1 has just started a second set of leaves with the 2 and 3 fingers growing on the first set of leaves. Although "she" started of as being stretched and broken, "she" has survived my clumsyness and is starting to take form. "she" is being grown in a 8inch pot, with part of the stretched stem buried, with Black gold top soil, a pinch of Osmocote slow release nut (19-6-12), a pinch of dolomite lime, 1/3 perlite added to soil, and perlite filling the bottom until it's above the drainage hole.

#2 has one set of leaves, a thicker stem, half the height of #1, and what appears to be the second set of leaves forming in the middle. The soil and mediums are the same but i added sphagum moss because i needed to get rid of it.

Hope to see the imaginitive during my grow and harvest.

Much mahalo,
kailiwela44

#1 watered 250mL water with 0.3mL molasses mixed +250mL pH adjusted water. "she" is looking very healthy and strong. I may have to add a chopstick to hold her up before i can LST.

#2 watered the same as #1. new growth is still forming. First set of fan leaves are widening.

Both plants are rotated 90 degrees everyday four hours before lights off. I'm typically not home when the lights turn on, usually forget to rotate the pot after work, and my work schedule differs two days out of the week.
If i remember to, i'll measure the height of my Citrals and the widths of all sets of fan leaves.

stay irie,
kailiwela44

Ilikebigbuds said:
good luck with your grow, I was wondering what kind of lights you are using?
currently i have three 40w daylight CFL and three 26w cool white cfl. I was running four 40w but one of the bulbs burned out recently. When i go into Flowering i will be using four 40w Soft White Cfl and two of the 40w daylight CFL.
My lights are set up so that i have one 40W about 2inches from both Citrals, and three 26w near the roof of my box. I know its far away, but with one of the 40w near the plant my temperature reads 90's F.
As i LST, the two 40w located will be moved near the roof, between the other four bulbs, to get good light on the canopy. If there are any new growths under the canopy, they will be removed for good air circulation and if the cutting is a good candidate it will be used as a clone.
Any suggestions for a newbie at cloning? is the soil cloning guide on this forum a higher % winner or does anybody have an easier way of doing it? I have rockwool cubes, cloning powder, and a humidity dome currently at my disposal.

one luv,
kailiwela44

When i first started to grow it was all about saving cash:woohoo:
then a 2nd reason came which is to always have stash.

:goodposting:
A third point came up which is the experience to grow.

:watchplant:
Experiencing each strain i really must know!

:hairpull:
To reach my goal i must keep it cool.

:cool:
Because when everyone else buys i can call them a fool.

:hitchair:
As each agonizing day passess to grow some weed.

:(
It will be all worth while when my weed feeds my need.

:ccc:

Hey Kaili...Sounds good..do you have a fan blowing on them?..we need to get the temps down below 88..IMO they slow down and dont produce well..how about an ac unit?..the heat is why I dont grow in summer my friend..why do you rotate the containers for?...and heres wishing you nothing but FEMALES my friend..KEEP M GREEN

Cool, someone actually got my short hand version of my name correct. Thank you.:banana: :48:
As far as my grow goes, i do have a intake fan which blows air ground level, and another fan which blows air onto the babys as well as the light (typically a few degrees warmer than floor level). I cant use A/C because, to me, its really a waste of money for me & my family. I love my plants but my mentality is when the weather gets hot hit the beach (sorry babies). Me not wanting to use an A/C is why i add some extra C02 (If you can't beat it, work around it). As far as growth goes, the higher temperature doesn't seem to effect the plants negatively--no heat stress (yet), no heat stretching (stem splinding), and fan leaves are getting wider, staying green, and new sets can be seen forming:watchplant: .
My lights are on mostly at night and up till about noon 18/6. My previous attempt was using "See more buds" technique, but between noon and 4pm the sun hits my room and shoots the room temp up a few degrees.:rant:
Today on my lunch break i was able to check to see what my temp range is during lights off in the afternoon. It ranges from 83F to 85F. Oddly enough, if i add a fan to my closet, my temperatures rise...idk why:confused:.
By years end i'll be living elsewhere with my chicks (gf & baby) where my girlfriend demands some a/c. she's cool with the herb (reason why i quit ciggs) and helped me with my ventilation problem (she does HVAC, plumbing, and CAD drafting for a living). If it wasn't for here, my temps would still be in the upper 90's.

Much mahalo, pau hana (finish work)
kailiwela44

oh yeah, the reaso why i rotate my pot is because the light closes to my plant is vertical. So, i rotate it to get an even distribution of light. Same concept that plants grow/"reach" for light. wow, i never knew what they taught us in 2nd grade science would apply to me today. Even crazier is that i remember it. Hmm. must of been the 2nd hand smoke from my dad.

Shoots,
kailiwela44

4u2smoke said:
Hey Kaili...Sounds good..do you have a fan blowing on them?..we need to get the temps down below 88..IMO they slow down and dont produce well..how about an ac unit?..the heat is why I dont grow in summer my friend..why do you rotate the containers for?...and heres wishing you nothing but FEMALES my friend..KEEP M GREEN
ha ya, i live on the coast i grew up on. always been mild, even in summer. first summer i grow, record heats! thank god, budda ect., i had an a/c i randomly got from a friend emptyin his storage for moving. didnt use it for 2 years but hung onto it. ended up not having a fan in town for sale by day 2!!!!!!!! what was usually 80 tops outside was 100 for 4 days straight. lucked out be being prepared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last night when i got home from work, I checked the dimensions of my plant.
#1 stood at 3" tall and her 2 sets of fan leaves are 3" wide respectively. I got so mind set on LST yesterday that i decided to give it a shot. i have her tied about a 1/4" from the soil, and above the first set of leaves. Early this morning when i checked on #1, "her" 3 set of leaves have taken shape. Aside from the lowest fan leaf, #1 is begining to grow turn upwards. I will leave her with only one tie until a fourth set of leaves are grown.
#2 is at a whopping 1" tall and just over 3" wide. "Her"second set of leaves are starting to be independant. She will be LST after i observe how #1 reacts.
As for my temperatures, the max temperature it reached yesterday was at 93.4F--The thermometer is inches from #2. I have a sensor near #1 so i can eyeball the temperature without having to go into my closet.
The maximum humity was at 60" +/- 5% according to manufacturer. And the low was at 44".

have an irie day.
kailiwela44

These are my notes for:

July 4, 2008
  • Temperature
    • High 96F lights on (35C)
    • Low lights off 82.9F (28.3C)
  • Humidity-
    • High 55%
    • Low41%
  • No signs of heat stress
July 5, 2008
  • Temperature
    • High 95.4F (31.7C)
    • Low 85.3F (29.6C)
  • Humidity
    • High 49%
    • Low 40%
  • No signs of heat stress
#1 Citral
  1. Watered 16oz of ~6.5 ph water
    • After 4 hours runoff removed
      • 5oz
      • ph ~7.0
  2. Measurements
    • ~4.5" Fan leaves diameter(11cmX11cm)
    • Bushy top from LST,(ties removed, scratches from twist ties, will purchase pipe cleaner)
#2 Citral
  1. Watered 16oz of ~6.5ph
    • After 4 hours runoff removed
      • 6oz
      • Unable to produce clean ph sample. Will assume ph is similar with #1
  2. Dimensions
    • First pair of leaves 4.5" (12cm) Diameter
    • 2nd set of leaves 4" (10cm) Diameter
    • 3rd set forming
    • Forgot to measure height
The high acidity from both Citrals run-off, i will adjust the H20 ph as follows:
  1. 500mL of 5.0<6.0ph
  2. 500mL of 6.0ph with traces of molasses
  3. 500mL of 6.0ph
  4. 500mL of 6.0ph
My observations for the preceding days are:
1. Twist ties work for LST, but it damaged the stem and created an eye/heart sore.
2. On July 4th, temps were higher because of fireworks.
3. LST is fun to just stare at. #2 will begin LST after growing 3 sets of fan leaves.
4. hard to determine how many sets of leaves, from #1's LST, as higher leaves grew more fingers than leaves shaded near the soil.

Aloha,
kailiwela44

hey Kaili..I like to use soft pipe cleaners to tie my Girls Down...also I like to use electrical ground wire 12/2...its green and you can bend hooks at the end and the wire is coated with soft sheating..I learned this from PotBelly here..who I havent seen around for a while..hope he/she is ok..anyway I would like to see some photos...that 90+ temps and no stress? wow..good job..KEEP M GREEN

4u2smoke said:
hey Kaili..I like to use soft pipe cleaners to tie my Girls Down...also I like to use electrical ground wire 12/2...its green and you can bend hooks at the end and the wire is coated with soft sheating..I learned this from PotBelly here..who I havent seen around for a while..hope he/she is ok..anyway I would like to see some photos...that 90+ temps and no stress? wow..good job..KEEP M GREEN
I went to a local craft shop and bought a couple dozen of them. I got the extra co2 when the temps reach that height. It mostly reaches the 90F's when the sun is still out. night time when i periodically check the temps are in the upper eighties.
The air that hits the citral feels cooler than room temperature. My theory is that even though the temps reach a higher temperature, the cool air that blows on the girls, along with co2, alleviates some of the stress.
If the Citrals becomes males i plan to grow them out to collect pollen for future use.

I have started to take pictures starting from July 4, 2008. Because i am using a work computer, i am not able to upload any of the pictures until i get to my gf computer. I plan to post all pictures in a gallery type setting with the dates to refer back to. Then for all those who are faithful, we can turn it into a discussion board(?)--things that worked, what will work better, etc... i really do want to keep this pictureless until the very end..."where's you imagination"

4u2 i just visited some of your grow room pages. My next grow i'm gonna grow t44. I couldnt fine out your total yield for the LST and not LST plant. What were they? If you cured them better, do you think the smoke would've been better? If so, would it be something you would clone or hybrid?

Watered with 500mL of 5.0<6.0ph water. Run off was gone by morning.
Lots of new growth forming. "She" is starting to get bushy, a canopy is begining to form, and covers about 1/3 of the pot. added one more pipe cleaner to expose new growth. The original top is still highest point but other branches are getting larger.

Soil was still moist and pot is on the heavier side. Eyeball guess she'll be super thirsty tommorrow 7/9/08 @lights on.
Getting really wide and not much vertical growth. I don't have my notes on me but i believe 'she' is about 6.25in across with three sets of fan leaves--3rd set showing five fingers.

As an observation. The temperatures do reach the 90s F, but only for a few hours during lights on. Typically about two hours in the begining and two hours in the end. These are during the afternoon times. Shoot I forgot to mention that light regiment is 20/4 since 7/4/08--after #2 past germination. For aproximately 12 hours the temperature will ranges from 87F-89F (still not ideal but pretty close).

kailiwela44 said:
4u2 i just visited some of your grow room pages. My next grow i'm gonna grow t44. I couldnt fine out your total yield for the LST and not LST plant. What were they? If you cured them better, do you think the smoke would've been better? If so, would it be something you would clone or hybrid?

Thanks Kaili...I think that was put in another thread..but as for the side by side..I yeilded a little more over an oz..each..I did find that LST is great if you are limited on height..ans far as yeild diff...LST= smaller budds..I dont have height restrictions in my shed 8'..but do still like to touch my girls..what Ladie doesnt like to be carest and tied down onece in a while? :hubba: ..Yes I do think if I slowed down the drying and the cureing it would Have been smooth..but it does have lots of resin..and very sticky;) the DEADLINE cured real slow and it is smooooooth...and has a good taste..I will keep this one around a while...putN on my IMAGINATION CAP..

Looks like you got lots of weed growN in there..lol...May want to back off the nutes a bit...They look.....well....like nothin..lol..Just kiddN..Keep us posted but most of all KEEP M GREEN:D

Kaili..sorry..I did try to clone the t44 but am new and couldnt get it at the time..I am getting better...but I would say yes I would clone or hybrid..thanks again friend

Latest posts

Back