poppies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this also- The seeds (about the size of a pin-head) are naturally sown by the pod blowing in the breeze and shaking like a pepper-pot, the contents scattering. When deliberately set, they are either broadcast or dropped in rows of shallow holes made by a stick or dibber, the timing of the sowing depending heavily upon local seasonal and climatic conditions. About 500 grams of seed are sown to half a hectare. The seeds may range over a wide variety of colours from white through yellow to brown, grey or black, the coloration not being relevant to the eventual blossom. Other cash crops, such as beans, peas or tobacco, may be planted alongside the poppy: these do not hinder it and are usually only a means of obtaining a higher return from the same area of land.

The seeds germinate quickly in warm, moist conditions and, within six weeks, the plant is established by which time it vaguely resembles a young cabbage with glaucous, green leaves with a dull grey or bluish tint. By eight weeks, it reaches a height of about 60 centimetres and consists of a main stem the upper portion of which (the peduncle) bears no leaves or secondary stems. Below the peduncle, secondary stems (called tillers) may appear from leaf bases where they join the main stem. Apart from the peduncle, the stems are frequently covered with hairs.

As the plant matures, it grows to a height of between 90 and 150 centimetres, the leaves appearing alternately, those on the main stem being oblong, tooth-edged and between 10 and 40 centimetres long. The main stem and each tiller ends in a single flower bud. As these develop, the ends of the peduncle and tillers extend and bend over to form a distinctive hook shape, the young buds suspended upside down. However, as the buds mature the stems straighten, the main bud at the head of the peduncle pointing upwards. Within two days of becoming vertical, the sepals of the bud - which are the same colour as the leaves - open and the flower blooms. In ideal conditions, the main blossom appears around the ninetieth day from germination.

At first, it appears crumpled, like a butterfly emerging from its chrysalis, but the four petals quickly expand and smoothen, each marginally overlapping the other. Their colour may vary from plant to plant. Traditionally, opium poppies are white but they may just as readily be pink crimson, weakly purple or a variegation of these with the colour darker at the petal base. Inside the flower is a ring of anthers on top of what will become the pod. Fertilisation is carried out by insects.

The flower is short-lived. In two to four days the petals drop, exposing a small, round pod the size of a large pea. This rapidly grows and may become ovoid or globular: when mature, it is the size of a small hen's egg with a diameter of between 5 and 7.5 centimetres. It is bluish green with a slightly waxy appearance, the top surrounded by a small crown from which the stigmas rise. Where the pod joins the peduncle is a ring of petal base scars.

The pod is made of an outer skin enclosing the wall of the ovary, which is made up of three layers, and cavities or segments separated by seed-producing walls. The seeds, of which one pod may produce over 1000, are reniform in shape with distinct reticulations. When mature, they are loose in the pod before dispersal through small holes which open just under the crown.

Wow, thanks bombbudpuffa, that's some in depth info. Looks like they'll fit right into my grow box.

@stinkbug……any luck with those poppies?

the last time I grew some poppies they never made it , they died right after the first two leaves showed…

anyone have any luck growing them?

Ah Crap I thought it was Puppies
R.f10b4c6a2dc1238a293d4c5ad03d5bbe

THREAD DRIFT!

back on topic 🤓🤓🤓

I have some poppy seeds that came from Europe ……..some family immigrants brought the medical seeds with them and planted them in America at their farm , over 100 years ago

we made some poppy tea out of the pods after we emptied the seeds and a 4 oz glass of that liquid kicked my arse….i laid down and felt no pain for a few hours….bliss

THREAD DRIFT!

back on topic 🤓🤓🤓

I have some poppy seeds that came from Europe ……..some family immigrants brought the medical seeds with them and planted them in America at their farm , over 100 years ago

we made some poppy tea out of the pods after we emptied the seeds and a 4 oz glass of that liquid kicked my arse….i laid down and felt no pain for a few hours….bliss
Sorry I need new glasses. I had Mexican last night and my pooper is acting up!

hmmmmm , more research is needed cause I am having a difficult time keeping them growing once they germinate…

@dogster …….any tips on growing these would be much appreciated

I use a shallow pan to germ in sunshine mix.
Zero ferts until they have a couple sets that seems to matter for some reason.
Not too wet and never dry.

I'm too chickenshit to order any. Nothing like giving the feds your addy and your intent.
A hundred years ago, I was told that the poppy seeds you buy for baking goodies were sterilized and wouldn't grow. They didn't get the hint and sprouted. Not knowing what I was doing, I'd put them in a window planter outside and spread duck manure in the box before I sowed them. The only place they came up was on the extreme edges where the manure wasn't. The frost got 'em as I had planted them much too late.

I'm too chickenshit to order any. Nothing like giving the feds your addy and your intent.
A hundred years ago, I was told that the poppy seeds you buy for baking goodies were sterilized and wouldn't grow. They didn't get the hint and sprouted. Not knowing what I was doing, I'd put them in a window planter outside and spread duck manure in the box before I sowed them. The only place they came up was on the extreme edges where the manure wasn't. The frost got 'em as I had planted them much too late.
I plant poppy seeds from the spice aisle.
Breadfruit poppy is what they are so the plants also contain high levels of alkaloids.
The flowers aren't illegal but any type of harvesting or processing is so don't put them where people can see the cut bulbs.

Latest posts

Back