poppies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started grown indoors and out. Much larger results outside.

When in that small 2 leaf phase don't let them dry up. Plant early, April. Must be watered every day until they get some size, pretty quick.

I grew them in a lasagne garden patch. Once of size, you will see pods, first a "dragon head" on hooked down stem. It will straighten up and open, 4 petals emerge. Once a flower (only last 2 or 3 days) but soon petals fall. Pod swells. When the flat "hat" on top of the pod begins curling up, it's time to poke it. I use a needle and make a little patch of holes, which the white, sometimes pinkish juice begins to form. Using a knife blade scrape off the residue until a glob of it is on knife blade. Set it aside to dry, grab another knife and repeat.

Once you have a bunch of knives with a glob of dried juice on them, scrap it off. Collect all the scrapings. I put it between aluminum foil and crush. When open, the dried brown stuff is a powder. Put in little bottle. use as bowl topper. When heated, it melts and bubbles.

Bubba

When poking, don't poke too deep. There is an outer skin, and an inner skin, the goo is between them. Hollow inside, will be full of seeds. You want to poke the outer layer and try hard NOT to poke through the inner skin, only the outer layer.

Bubba

When in that small 2 leaf phase don't let them dry up. Plant early, April. Must be watered every day until they get some size, pretty quick.

I grew them in a lasagne garden patch. Once of size, you will see pods, first a "dragon head" on hooked down stem. It will straighten up and open, 4 petals emerge. Once a flower (only last 2 or 3 days) but soon petals fall. Pod swells. When the flat "hat" on top of the pod begins curling up, it's time to poke it. I use a needle and make a little patch of holes, which the white, sometimes pinkish juice begins to form. Using a knife blade scrape off the residue until a glob of it is on knife blade. Set it aside to dry, grab another knife and repeat.

Once you have a bunch of knives with a glob of dried juice on them, scrap it off. Collect all the scrapings. I put it between aluminum foil and crush. When open, the dried brown stuff is a powder. Put in little bottle. use as bowl topper. When heated, it melts and bubbles.

Bubba
Do you have to do anything special to grow them indoors lighting-wise?

Bubba

thanks for the easy to follow instructions!

I was 12 yrs old when I use to cut lawns for the local neighbors
and she had poppies (a lot) in her back yard garden.
I would watch her working on them when I was there , and one day she said come over here I want you to see this and learn.
She explained what the Poppy plant was and how one could get Meds from it. She then pulled out a one sided razor blade and ever so carefully she made slices in the pods , She then let it drip and dry a bit before scrapping it off. It was a white goo that dried darker, She told me she uses it to make her sleeping meds at that time.
Lifes Lessons are the best

No. But you can get the same seeds from flower shop supply type places. I think we ended up finding them at Farm and Home, Farm & Fleet... One of them. I was looking forward to it. Did a bunch of googling early spring to try and pull it off. There is people doing something with wild lettuce that they are making an opium type product out of. I was wanting the real deal. I was scared to post here and ask. Same with shrooms. Stick to the green beans on forum.

IMG_6483.jpeg
IMG_6482.jpeg
IMG_6481.jpeg

Latest posts

Back