Problems with vape pens. Expert Needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recommended Settings:​

Wattage: 23-30W

Temperature Control: Nickel (Ni)

Temperature: 280-380F

That's from their website for the titanium bucket settings on temp control.

Yep but where does it say Nichrome?

I cant find it. So if its nickel it has to be Ni200. Nichrome cant do temp control from what i understood during all the years i vaped. I vaped almost exclusively temp control for many years. Including wrapping my own coils and bought numerous prebuilt coils that worked in TC.

Yep but where does it say Nichrome?

I cant find it. So if its nickel it has to be Ni200. Nichrome cant do temp control from what i understood during all the years i vaped. I vaped almost exclusively temp control for many years. Including wrapping my own coils and bought numerous prebuilt coils that worked in TC.
I think I am the one who said nichrome and I am often wrong.
However that is from their site so I suspect its correct.

Just check ohms of the coil and the watts you wanna run. Plug that info into a ohm laws calculator. Im sure its less than 20 amps unless you are cranking like 50watts. A Samsung 25R can handle 25amp pulse and 20amp continuous. Dont be surprised if the ohms is crazy low on a Ni200 coil. Some of mine were like .15ohms and 30watts was plenty.

On a side note this Kandy Pen cheapy hits really well in power mode at just 12watts. I got 2 packs of coils just in case i like it. They were only $5 a 3pack. Coils are .9ohm 316L SS from what i can dig up so they work in either mode.

Do an "ohms law" and i bet it has PLENTY to fire that coil up. You realize how much heat 20amps and just 30 watts makes?
I dialed it down to 30 watts, it was still puffing fine. Not as irritating either. I don't understand the purpose for it's settings, voltage or current, programmed curves, etc.

Learning as I go!

Bubba

Just check ohms of the coil and the watts you wanna run. Plug that info into a ohm laws calculator. Im sure its less than 20 amps unless you are cranking like 50watts. A Samsung 25R can handle 25amp pulse and 20amp continuous. Dont be surprised if the ohms is crazy low on a Ni200 coil. Some of mine were like .15ohms and 30watts was plenty.
It WAS set on 50 watts!

Ok that makes sense, less resistance, more juice goes through.

Slowly learning a level of comfort with this stuff.

Bubba

The mod will sense the coil and handle it usually in watts.
Same in temp control on the voopoo set to ni set the watts and temp and done.
Easier than it sounds lots of videos and instructions on the mods online.

One of my other hobbies is building high end class A stereo amplifiers. Do I get the ohms law thing.

The mod will sense the coil and handle it usually in watts.
Same in temp control on the voopoo set to ni set the watts and temp and done.
Easier than it sounds lots of videos and instructions on the mods online.
Yes I need to watch more, obviously.
My battery order will hopefully get here today. Otherwise, I'm cruising area vape stores to see if they have batteries! Want to get the drag 4 going.

Thanks,

Bubba

Going real high watts in temp control is futile. The mod will either adjust it down by PWM or however they are designed. Better to go up in temp than that high in watts. You only need that kinda watts for certain coils that use a lot of material to heat up. Ni200 are tiny wires and very low resistance so they use more amps at a given watts than say a .5ohm coil.

How many ohms is that coil showing on the display?

Plug in the ohms and watts to see how many amps you are pulling. Ohms Law Calculator

On my voopoo it is set on,
Ni,30 watts,temp 350f and the coil reads at .47 using the titanium buckets

Recommended Settings:​

Wattage: 23-30W

Temperature Control: Nickel (Ni)

Temperature: 280-380F

That's from their website for the titanium bucket settings on temp control.
I don't think the sx mini has temp control, or more likely owner operator is very possible. I figured out how to vary watts, but see nothing for changing temps. Again very likely operator error on my part. Where is the flipping drag 4? Ought to be here soon. I mean batteries for it...drag 4 is staring at me.

SX Minis have supported TC for ages. Need to select the coil material/watts/temp. Newer models may suggest the watts for you.

EDIT: i just pulled up the PDF for the mod and the chip. TC mode on that model is called PURE. They did a big update to the firmware also but its in there as PURE or Temp Control.

This might work for you. I tried to snag the video at the right timestamp. Starting where he talks about temp control.

Go to 12:30 if not.

Last edited:
SX Minis have supported TC for ages. Need to select the coil material/watts/temp. Newer models may suggest the watts for you.

EDIT: i just pulled up the PDF for the mod and the chip. TC mode on that model is called PURE. They did a big update to the firmware also but its in there as PURE or Temp Control.

This might work for you. I tried to snag the video at the right timestamp. Starting where he talks about temp control.

Go to 12:30 if not.

I have no doubt you are right. I got the drag up and running, batteries finally came, same issue. User error. I just need to take time to figure it out. Thanks for the tips. It should be a newer one, just got it, but who knows. I will be posting results once I get this down. I'll watch the video. I do notice switching from Sequoia to Pot Stem it re does the watt reading.

I have made hash oil going back to the 70's. Big gap, then these rosin presses starting showing up. I've looked at them for a while, but am jumping in at this point. Pens and vapes I have played with lately are no more than recharge, 5 presses on-off, 4 presses to change heat range. Now, more power, difference in coils...I started to worry about metal intake on these and earlier kits.

Now its a bit more scienced out, so taking another round. I'll watch the video and be back. Some of these devices (maybe all?) have the tiniest flipping owners manual I have ever seen! Had to get out the "helpers" to see this small.

Get a regular vape mod that will go as low as 6-7watts and takes a 18650 battery. Mine last YEARS and when the battery dies its like $6.

The eleaf Mini 20watt has its own 1050mah battery but its small and simple to use. There are tons of cheap 40watt and under vape mods out there. Just make sure it can supply airflow thru the connection and will go down to 6watts.
https://www.eleafworld.com/mini-istick-20w/
The 25watt version should work also with a 510to510 air flow adapter.
https://store.eleafworld.com/eleaf-mini-istick-2-box-mod.html
What is your budget because there are way better ones under $50 too.
Why important to go down to 6 watts? Trying to figure these things out!

Bubba
On my voopoo it is set on,
Ni,30 watts,temp 350f and the coil reads at .47 using the titanium buckets
Where do you set temp on voo poo? OK, just figured it out 350 degrees.

This thing is a liar.....says I've taken 52 puffs. Not a puff over 49....where is that reset puffs button?

Bubba

Latest posts

Back