Range of a dog's sniffer. As much info as anyone can, ASAP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemmongrass

Basil Farmer.
Reaction score
Okay so my shady neighbor has been producing EDIT tweak for years and the cops finally got a big enough tip from a friendly neighbor of ours to search the house. We have wanted them gone for so long(the secretary at the station knows who they are off the top of her head..) but cant really use the police for protection as we are outlaws ourselves i guess.....

So when this goes down in a week or so, this is my question. they haven't done it for a while, so they will have to tear the house apart for evidence which makes me think they will use dogs.

Does anyone know if there is a chance the dogs will display drug indicators while outside from my grow? would they walk to the house? sit down and look at the house? The grow doesn't smell bad but sometimes does smell the inside up a bit.

The closest point they would be is 50-100feet from the house. but would they walk up to the house to ask us if we know anything? if the dog was indicating to my house when they let it out to search her house would this be usable? would they even let it smell if it was going away from the target?

please im at critical mass here(halfway thru flower) and cant press the button myself to abort....

If lawn damage wasn't and issue I would say pour ammonia around your house perimeter it will burn their noses and they won't want to come over there. But thats just a suggestion.:cool:

my house is surrounded my rocks, but i would not want my house wreaking of ammonia when the house next door is being investigated for methamphetamine production... :p thanks tho.

IIRC they lead them by the leash into the house. they they kind of walk them around on a short tether. would they look outside? or even give it a chance to cue outside?

They might inform you of the happenings. Ive had them do that before. But mainly that was to advise us to stay inside for safety.
And yea, shouldnt be any trouble for the dogs to smell it in the air.
Build one of those 5gal bucket fan things like in the DIY. And mask as hard as you possibly can.
But the dogs should be on leash, and probably walked directly inside, then back out directly to the car. So I wouldnt be to awfully worried overall.
Just take every precaution you can think of. And good luck.

newgreenthumb said:
If lawn damage wasn't and issue I would say pour ammonia around your house perimeter it will burn their noses and they won't want to come over there. But thats just a suggestion.:cool:

thats imo proly a not so good idea. kinda like they say wrappin ya weed in pepper to deter dogs sniffin it out... but the dog starts sneezin uncontrollably and like the handler isnt gonna further investigate wat it is aggravating the dog...?
jus my thoughts .

A friend of mines dad is a K9 cop. He's pretty cool so we kinda mess with him everynow and then and ask crazy questions about how to trick the dogs and stuff. apparently fresh grass clippings drive them dogs off their game. You said something about some rocks in your front yard, but if you do have some grass, wouldn't be a bad idea to cut it while the business is going down. Apparently when you cut grass, all types of stuff goes flying through the air. Good luck.

That makes great sense stully. Probably is 1000s of odors going into the air at once to the dogs. Dogs can smell 120k-140k different odors. Human nose only a small fraction of that, like just a few thousand.
To a dog the air would be blanketed with different scents.

exactly mindzeye... and if they had a warrant and they weanted you they'd be in your house not knockin. especially if its a warrant cuz of drug related offense.
thats funny cuz i've never herd of cops round here kikin in anyones door for a warrant unless they for drug related charges. strait up its funny. i mean if you got a warrant and a cops knockin on ya door, like your gonna answer it...lol

Hi Zip,

I think it depends on whether they want to smell it too... When I was a stupid teenager about 17 I went with a buddy to jam with some guys who lived on an air force base. Much to our surprise there was big male German Shepherd at the gate to greet us... I had an oz down my pants and the sentry po po asked us to "pull over there and exit the vehicle." Somehow I managed to keep myself on the opposite side of the car away from Fido and although we blew a fatty on the way out there... he couldn't care less. It's entirely possible that the dog was trained for weapons searching rather than drugs but this one didn't alert on a damn thing... thankfully... :rolleyes:

I think if you keep your house shut up and sealed as much as you can til the time comes you'll be fine but who knows when that will be...?

Peace!:cool:

Here's another way to think about the issue; The guys who handle those dogs, do it all day, every day, day in, day out. They've probably seen every reaction to the dogs that exists. If they see that their dog is having a hard time with some odor at your house, they might remember the case they had where the dogs acted that way when the second house they busted was a problem like that to their dogs. Maybe the dogs are also trained to alert on very strong odors that might be used to mask drugs. Dog alerts, now the cop has reasonable grounds to obtain a warrant for your house. Be back in an hour while Officer Pukenuts watches your property from here.

My best advise to you is to just keep your windows and doors shut, exhaust fans off and wait until they leave.

Their warrant isn't for you. Their dogs pass by hundreds of people every day in their normal comings and goings. If the dogs alerted on every single person that smelled like weed, they'd be busting every 10th person they saw every day. :D

The dogs do this stuff as a result of being trained to alert on an area. If you ever watch them, the handler always makes it clear to the animal where he wants the dog to search. They hit on the car, box, whatever. They wave at it, point at it and make it very clear to the dog where they want it to sniff.

In my life, I think I've seen this routine about a dozen times. They did this stuff the same each time I saw them.

If it's across the street, I don't think the dog gives a crap about it. The handler might if he/she smells something like an ammonia smell.

Button the house up, turn off anything that could be causing air to blow out of your home and just chill.

They'll go away and you can get back to your normal day.

As long as the tweeker or the "good" neighbor that was a snitch, don't have a clue what you do, You should have no worries. I would not trust the "good" neighbor.
Most dog are trained to smell cured marijuana not growing. It is my understanding that you can not train a dog to find growing Marijuana, if they could we would never be able to grow outdoors. Think about it, train a pack of dogs to smell growing MJ and sit and howl when they find it. Sounds like coon hunting.

we actualy have the biggest garden ive seen and more flowers and exotic plants than most ppl could fit on our lot. all in the front yard. it smells like every plant outside exept pot around the house.

prolly 1000sq ft of veg garden and another thousand sq feet of flowers used as borders and decorations.

she has so many priors it should be pretty open and shut in my uneducated opinion.

fishcabo said:
Get your own dog. Preferable a bigger one that will **** and pee everywhere. Kind of a good idea to have protection when your not home.

True to this, I have a Dalmation that is such a sweetie to my family, my son wrestles with her and sleeps with her, but if she hears a knock on the door or sees you and doesnt know you she wants to tear the jugular straight out of your neck... I didnt train her this way either... I have family members who are afraid to come to my house... It works great to keep those pesky in-laws away LOL

this is true about the "good" neighbor. but he has 4 kids, and this crazy hoe has tons of cars coming and going, one violent abusive BF after another(honestly, beaten every day. we have heard it from all the way at his house before). screaming, fighting in the yard. the backyard his packed with junk, enough that my house would burn down if hers caught fire.

and to be honest im about 10 seconds from calling them myself. we heard her and the cook fighting one night cause she took a lid off while it was on the stove. they intimidate opened every window while yelling and fighting, turned the power off and abandoned the house for 3 days. they didn't bother to tell us that the house 100ft from us was about to explode so she is dirt in my book.

We actually have 2 large male dogs, 1 female in heat, and a male cat. we cant let new people inside right away cause they get too excited so this is a good reason to talk on the porch...

Anytime law enforcment comes to the door and you answer you should talk on the porch, they have no right to enter your home, but I have seen them weasel thier way into an open door... Step outside and close the door behind you....

Latest posts

Back