Running on 30 amps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White Owl

Smokin' in Peace
Reaction score
Here's the background:
I'm in an RV, and my electrical capacity is only 30amps (TV, A/C, lights, computer, and a fan only. Oh no...hope the fridge doesn't kick in!:holysheep:).

Right now, I have a 12.5''X4.5" 150 Watt, 6500*K CFL. I have a regular light/Ph/water meter from Lowes that says I'm getting about 500-800 lumens directly under the light. My Vegg box is 3' X 2' 1/2" X 19" with car window reflectors on the walls (I'm on a budget, ok...). Mary (my little one) has grown about 3" in 20 days on a 20/4 schedule. I have a 250 Watt CFL on order for my Flower Box (soon to be built) and I am wondering on how well I'm going to be able to run it...

The Box.jpg

At the present state, I'm not able to support any more amperage draw from a bigger light than the ones I'm working with. I've heard of people getting power supply boxes, but I was wondering on what kind of power drain those pull on their own. Does anyone have experience in the matter of a lack of power? I'm working with what I got, but I don't know how well this is working for Mary and Gwendalynne.

What is the most cost effecient way that I can boost my power supply enough to run bigger lights? Do i need a generator or something if I want to go to high pressure sodium?

Also I would do a 12/12 schedule for the lights to save more power during the day. Also run them at night so most likley you will be sleeping while the lights are on for atleast 8 of the 12 hours. Turn your fridge down a little bit, Of course do not use the A/C. I do not know what kind of budget you are on but you could get some solar panels to help your electrical problem. get maybe a mini tv that runs on batteries or listen to a radio that does. A few hundred watts of grow lights will only take like 2 amps. The amp ratings should be on most of these appliances. Try to find it and add them together to see where your at.

Latest posts

Back