Screwdriver's harvest thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent thread. I love how you keep adding to it even though you could very well let it sit stagnant. Question: What do you do with you trichome laden trim? Hash or do you use it for butter also? Thanks again for this thread!

that blue mystic looks beautiful,what does that strain taste like? what kinda high? thanks for the thread..very helpful

Great Looking grow screwdriver...I harvest/manicure my plants almost the same way...All except for the recycling of the clippings to compost...Keep us updated with the curing/smoke report

Thanks Puff, I guess I'm a creature of habit. Since there are only a couple plants at a time and I put most in my cooler.:cool: I don't trim nearly as close as I do when I air dry so there really isn't enough for me to accumulate anymore.

A_I_D, thanks. She actually turned out rather nice.:D I've only quick dried some early pickings and the comment received was that it could be felt in the eyes.

tn, curing will be done in a few hours. I'm sure I'll get an "A+" on the smoke report.

Screwdriver,
I was just reading the DIY thread that you wrote about the computer drying case. After reading it I am very tempted to build one very similar to that myself. I was going to build some rectangular frames, cover them with some window screen, and then stack them in a cardboard box that is approximately 24 inches x 6 inches x 36 inches. At the bottom I was going to put a 4" inline fan that moves 65 cfm. My only concern is do you think that will dry the buds too fast....65cfm just seems like a lot to me. That said, would it matter as long as I had a humidistat?? You set yours at 62-72 % correct?? Thanks for any help.

I use the fan at a lower voltage mainly because noise. In the original design I just left it turned on, but it would dry too quick in such a small space.

The fan should be turning on a off so the CFM is not that critical. The humidistat had to be modified to be used in my box. I needed the N.O. contact so I had to grind some plastic away to get to the terminal. I also had to readjust the tension on the mechanism to get to the range I needed.

I have it set to close the switch contact at about 75%. The hysteresis of the humidistat causes the 65%. With different air flow in box the lower number isn't as important as the upper rh which shouldn't get much higher.

I like the humidistat, but you could also use a timer to turn on and off the fan at different intervals. 15 minutes on / 60 minutes off while manual monitor the rh.

Okay, I understand where you're coming from. Since this box is only going to be temporary until I have time to actually design and build a more permanent drying box, I think I'll use the timer method. Like you said, I will leave a hygrometer in the card board box and manually monitor the humidity, if it goes above say 70 % I'll adjust the fan to come on more often.

Two last questions: Mold is not a problem at 75%?? Seems kinda high to me....just wanted some clarification. And finally, how long does it take to air dry your bud from cut, trim, to jars using the computer dryer?

Man, I cannot explain how grateful I am of your help screwdriver...thanks a ton!

screwdriver said:
Echo? Hello, Hello, hello. Echo, echo. Pinch hitting for Manny Mossa....

I've got to concentrate.....concentrate............concentrate

When it comes to mold......It can happen anytime.

With tobacco curing, I usually see no high than 80%. That is being recorded by accurately calibrated equipment.

My ghetto design, and where the hygrometer is placed, where the humidistat is placed, all the air leaks, just making room for errors. I've had no problem with mold, knock on cedar.

I had mold probs on my very first ever harvest, I hung the plants upside down in a closet and closed the door....three weeks later I came back and all of the top colas were covered in mold. I felt like I had just gotten my lunch money stolen. That said, I may drop to around 60%.

screwdriver said:
Your using indirect air flow over buds so make sure you have something to damper air flow of fan.

Can you elaborate on this? Here's what I think you mean: Since the fan will be pulling harder on the buds directly in front of it as compared to the ones further from it, I need a way to distribute the suction more evenly so that the bud on each layer feels equal amounts of fan suction....Now that I think about it I think I'm far off...sorry.

I have had mold because I jarred to early so I started using a hygrometer and monitor. Haven't seen any problems in my jars.

Bad news for the harvest thread. I was too distraught to finish, but heres what I got. Everything was going great. She is at about day 72+. Next to her is the companion tomato plant that I'll keep in 12/12.

View attachment 65111View attachment 65112

I took this shot to show how far the lower buds had gotten from the main stem. Easy to see where I'll be cutting and trimming.

View attachment 65113

And the typical trim.

View attachment 65114View attachment 65115View attachment 65116

Working my way up. Buds getting bigger.

View attachment 65117View attachment 65118View attachment 65119

Here's the last shot.

View attachment 65120

So after a couple more nodes into the main cola I discovered mold deep in the bud. Any bud with mold went sadly into my soil bucket. Salvaged the tip top of the cola. I used a 10X loupe to look over buds and didn't see any other signs. I put some of the bud into my cooler and some into my computer so I will monitor it in those threads.

This is the next girl. I thnk she is nirvana Big Haze.

Well, my story is that I wished upon a star for something about 3 or 4 nodes which I could put in veg cabinet. What I got was this thing which was twice the size that my cabinet can hold. Then my cat promptly jumped in the box that it came in and she squashed which probably didn't help her. Anyway, as I was putting her into the cabinet she bent about halfway up the stem. Really crushed the stem so I had to support with some ties pinned to the side of cabinet. There she grew and stretched and stretched right into the light.

View attachment 65585View attachment 65586

Some, but not all, of the nodes stretched and they did some stretching. I think when the stem bent it really sent shockwaves throughout the whole thing. The buds that looked least affected really looked good, but all that stress made the buds with thicker stems and less calyx formation. There was a fair amount of trichomes. I did sample some and I got high.:eek:

View attachment 65587View attachment 65588

This is from a lower node. I have been cutting off each little bud site from the stem and trimming the longer leaves. I'll be air drying, and I'm being a little lazy with trimming. I'm trying to get all the dried leaves out of the harvest, but they will burn the same just a little more flavor.

View attachment 65589View attachment 65590

As I work my way up the main stem, cutting off the really long stretchy portion of the bud.

View attachment 65591View attachment 65592

The end, for now!

View attachment 65593

Looking good bro, wish i could help ya smoke it!
Peace and Love!!!!!!!
Roken.

Hey My Brother, What's Up???.........WOW!!!~~~~~~Amazing Work!!!!~~~~~~I'll Be W?atching For Your Next Project!!!:hubba:

Latest posts

Back