Seeds from 1968...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Six

Perfect smile..chronic...
Reaction score
lol...Check this out, my pops gave me some seeds that he actually saved from 1968...he said it was some bomb stuff, best he ever had....im goona give it a shot and see if i can get any of them to germ, ive got 16 of em so thats 16 chances....keep your fingers crossed for me...

This is going to be really interesting :hubba:

You have to remember that people think back with rose tinted glasses.

What was classed as 'Bomb' back then could be in todays trerms classed as low quality.

Then again you may have your hands on a lost strain that really was super bomb :eek:

Good luck Six :)

:peace:

Just a thought on old seeds I glue a little sandpaper in a match box top and bottom and shake shake shave about oh 15 mins and darn good germ rate ...Did that with some 7 year old seeds one of the other patients hard darned if we didn't hit an 80% germ rate too ...Have fun keep us updated

James

Reactions: Six
I made a shaker box too but i used an emery board....will definately keep ya posted....

HippyInEngland said:

What was classed as 'Bomb' back then could be in todays trerms classed as low quality.

Then again you may have your hands on a lost strain that really was super bomb :eek:

I hear ya there....ive read some articles that have stated todays genetics and thc content is supposed to be way higher....now i guess i get to find out for sure instead of just readin about it...kinda like a time capsule...lol

If i can get them to germ, we are talkin 41 years here....

:ciao: I was born in 1968 and have read that seeds become unviable the older they get..and another read had some beans from hundreds years old..this will be intereting to see you results..does POP know the strain? Sativa/indica? and will you be doing a GJ on these? I would like to fallow along if i may..thanks for shareing..take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

HippyInEngland said:

:yeahthat: I have to say that I personally never smoked anything back then that can touch what we have now. Most of us old hippies had just started smoking about then and anything other than mexican ditch weed was "bomb". It is hard to describe how mj has changed in 40 years.

This might be pretty cool. Remember, even though it is suggested that mj has become better over the years (and we all know this is true, for the most part) availablity has also changed. And so have refined growing techniques. Weaker weed in seed form from the '60s does not suggest that potential in the right hands is absent.;)

This reminds me that I too have some seeds saved from back in the day. Mine aren't that old, maybe 1983. In a different life, we were growing indica single cola plants. #22 was the "bomb" in our collection. We germed 100 seeds, grew them out, pulled all but one male and made some seeds. It was fun, except for the part where local thieves came by one night, broke in the building and took all 80 mature, ready to harvest plants. Then I moved. I may try and germ some of them for grins this winter. I remember growing a few in my corn patch for my own stash. Very stinky, but they only got waist high, even growing in compost. Strains were pretty limited. Outdoor sativa, or this indica, was all we had.

It may be best to try germing just a few at first, if none open we can all pop in with different methods or hints/tips of different ways to try to get at least a few to open.

basket%20eggs.jpg

I have an easy surefire way as well..

I also use a pill bottle to scar seeds, but don't bother with gluing anything.

I use the 'flying saucer' method.

Drop scarred seeds into a cup of pure water and place in a dark, warm spot. No more than twentyfour hours. Ever.

I then take two thick ceramic dinner plates and some paper towels. Wet the towels with pure water and allow to drip the excess moisture out for about ten minutes. Place seeds in the paper towel and fold to cover. Place this on one plate and use the other plate to cover, making a 'flying saucer' shape. I then place this right on top of my flouro ballast. Works perfect every time.

Good luck!

4u2sm0ke said:
:ciao: I was born in 1968 and have read that seeds become unviable the older they get..and another read had some beans from hundreds years old..this will be intereting to see you results..does POP know the strain? Sativa/indica? and will you be doing a GJ on these? I would like to fallow along if i may..thanks for shareing..take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

Nope, Pop's doesnt know for sure, he never got into this end of things so was actually pretty unaware of alot of the facts...even the difference between sativa/indica was new knowledge to him...he knew that some smoke turned you into a couch potato and some was more of a social...but he didnt know the definition of the differences...

As for me, this is my first round...just actually started round #2 from some more bag seedage and a combination of some clones from a couple of my favorite flowering girls....round #1 is still in flower and not ready for harvest for about 3-4 more weeks...so i am learning as i go...not sure what a GJ is either but would like to know :)

Current laws in my state only allow 12 plants for medicinal purposes so it will be about another 3-4 weeks before i am able to germ these...im at my limit at the moment, but when round #1 goes to cure i will give these a go...i will bring this thread back to life when i give it a shot:farm:

HippyInEngland said:
It may be best to try germing just a few at first, if none open we can all pop in with different methods or hints/tips of different ways to try to get at least a few to open.

That would be awesome...i will be doing 2 germs at a time...the way i have my calendar worked out with my limit of 12 plants at one time...i can have 2 seedlings and two clones...this allows me to harvest 2 plants per month with a constant flow of 12 plants...with two mother plants that only leaves me 10 to actually work with....when i start my next two it will be from these seeds, about 3-4 weeks from now...im sure the calendar will get tweaked as i go but for now thats the plan...

Six said:
Nope, Pop's doesnt know for sure, he never got into this end of things so was actually pretty unaware of alot of the facts...even the difference between sativa/indica was new knowledge to him...he knew that some smoke turned you into a couch potato and some was more of a social...but he didnt know the definition of the differences...

As for me, this is my first round...just actually started round #2 from some more bag seedage and a combination of some clones from a couple of my favorite flowering girls....round #1 is still in flower and not ready for harvest for about 3-4 more weeks...so i am learning as i go...not sure what a GJ is either but would like to know :)

Current laws in my state only allow 12 plants for medicinal purposes so it will be about another 3-4 weeks before i am able to germ these...im at my limit at the moment, but when round #1 goes to cure i will give these a go...i will bring this thread back to life when i give it a shot:farm:

hey six....a GJ is (grow journal) start one up and like HIE said we can all come visit and give our .02 and sometimes i give $1:rofl: I live in Seattle where i can have 12 plants and 24 oz dried weed..i exceed the plant limit and have yet to have 24 oz:giggle: good luck 2u..take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

Reactions: Six

Latest posts

Back