Seeking VERY basic general growing help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazzarus

Reaction score
call me nieve but I can pretty much take a leftover seed, bury it in the ground and it will yield some goodness right? I'm far from an idiot but I discovered this site about an hour ago and I'm very intimidated by the wealth of information I've found; I'm going to attempt to shear down my overwhelmed confusion by asking a few questions.

1. if i plant a leftover seed in the woods will it grow? with at least SOME results?
2. I've heard of making the seeds.. "sprout?" before planting them. is that necessary, how do I do it and how do I tell if I did it right?
3. how difficult is drying and curing? is it nigh impossible for beginners? I'll be so disappointed if I make this work and then ruin it by not being able to reap what I've sewn.

thanks so much in advance for all help - feel free to throw in your own suggestions and remember I know absolutely NOTHING about botany/growing/cannabis in its most natural form =( please educate me!

I would get it started first under a spiral florou or something. get it a little bit established. week or two is good IME. then put it out. prob with seeds is birds love em. every time i put seed out lost most to birds. LOL they love that hemp seed.
Can even get it started in a window. just get couple other potted plants so it don't stand out. tiny weed looks like a lot of other plants in the very beginning. average person won't pay it any mind if mixed in with other plants.

this link is the best place to start
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9396

It can be very intimidating when you first get started. I was in your boat almost exactly 12 months ago. I think the major decision you need to make is indoor or outdoor grow? If indoor - hydro or soil? From there, just start reading the stickies in the selected forum.

If you really intend to grow mj worth smoking, you're looking at a major investment of time either way :D. I can tell you firsthand that you will have a lot of fun doing it :D

One last bit of valuable info for new growers: Don't Tell Anyone.
Except us :)

Hello Laz :)

Daunting at first isnt it ;)

Get 2 plates and 4 sheets of kitchen paper.

Lay 2 sheets of paper on 1 plate and then the seed in the middle, lay the other 2 sheets on top and soak the sheets of paper with the seed inside, place the second plate upturned on top of the first plate and leave the seed soaking for 48 hours in a warm place.

After 48 maybe 72 hours you will see a tap root sprout out of the seed shell, it will look like a single finger about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch long.

You then fill a small flower pot with a good quality soil that has no nutrients in it (soil that says it feeds a seedling for 2 or 3 months is no good, it is too powerful and will burn your new seedling)

You want a soil with no nutrients/feed/slow release in it.

You place your sprouted seed 5mm under the surface of the soil and in a few days the seed will turn into a seedling plant.

This seedling plant now needs light, lots of it (you can use compact florescent's to give the seedling this light keeping the lights on 24 hours non stop every day)

While the seedling is growing you need to find your spot where your going to plant the seedling outside.

When the plant is 6 ish inches tall with several sets of leaves you can take the plant to your chosen grow site outside and dig a hole, fill it with quality soil and put the seedling into the soil.

The plant will need watering and feeding.

It will grow big and show its sex in mid to late July, if its a male, walk away, its no good, if its a female start panicking that you have the potential to get several free ounces of MJ.

I have made it sound really simple, trust me, it isnt :rofl:

You have a lot of reading to do.

Start here.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9396

Welcome to the forum :aok:

:peace:

thanks so much for the help thus far... mutt, what is a spiral florou? how far apart should I plant my seeds? and is it alright if I plant them in a shallowly wooded area? please keep the helpful responses coming and thanks again to those who have already posted.

spiral florou is them twisted lights that your suppose to use in place of a regular light bulb to conserve energy...usually they are either 13 watt or 26 watt bulbs. as far as planting the seeds, if your planting indoors under your lights you should just plant one seed per pot and try to use pots at least 4 inches deep is what ive always heard. you can plant them in a partial wooded area but remeber the more direct sunlight the better...i think ive read numbers like at least 6 or 8 hours a day but the more you can give them the happier they will be!...and read read read!!! i read every new post and all the old posts on this site before i even considered planting a seed....(that was when the forum was much smaller though!) i bet i spend 2 hours a day reading for at least 6 or 8 months stright before i thought i knew enough to even get a start...the more you know the less you will stress out about the whole situation.

ftw, thanks for taking the time to help me out. the problem with stopping to do more research is that the best time to plant outdoors is right about now (correct me if that's wrong) and I'm going to let the seasonal advantage compensate for my lack of knowledge. nah mean?

i know what you mean for sure.....a practice grow can turn out to be a great thing!! at best youll end up with some killer nuggs and at worst youll probably learn something...so good luck but i still encourge you to read everything you can because you can learn a lot in just a few hours of reading. i hope you end up with pounds! good luck

Latest posts

Back