Setting up small veg area.. but 8 weeks?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Green Fang

You don't see me . . .
Reaction score
Well, I have 1 tent getting ready to go into flowering, and another that has at least 7 weeks left of flowering to go. My question is.. can I veg for 8 weeks without issues, and maintain a normal height for a grow tent?

Basically, I want to veg some stuff in an area with a T5 fixture, so I can drop it right of them. I will top and LST as much as possible to keep them low, I just don't want 4 foot plants by the time they are ready to go into the tent.

Should I just wait 3 weeks to start anything else and just be patient? I really want to get started asap for the fun haha :)

It would be 1x Toxic Blue and like... 12x random bag seeds all from great smoke.. so I'm sure I'll have to weed out some males. 4x seeds are from stuff I physically got from Jamaica that blew my mind! :D

Any and every thought please?

8 weeks of veg is a lot for indoors. mostly because of height restrictions. you can maintain the plants for 8 weeks with some pretty aggressive training though.

i would suggest you look into perpetual growing. instead of harvesting the entire tent every 8 weeks. you can harvest a few plants every 2 weeks or every month or whatever schedule you choose. i feel like i get much more flexibility with a perpetual grow.

I just don't like the idea of fighting for space with such little space in my tents for the lights I have. :(

I have major OCD when it comes to certain things, and I can see this being one of them lol.

I wouldn't start 12 bagseeds. Even though they may have come from a bag of great smoke, you have no idea of 1/2 the genetics. Could be pollen from ditch weed, could have selfed--neither desirable traits. In addition, you have no idea how they are going to grow. If they are a sativa dominant strain, they could well be 6' tall in 8 weeks and take 14-16 weeks to flower. Good genetics are so inexpensive and it is so iffy to run bagseed and it takes 4-5 months to go from seed to cured bud--it is simply not worth the risk to me.

If you decide to go ahead, I would wait a couple of weeks or so. Some plants can go 8 weeks in veg just fine. However, you are dealing with unknown genetics, so better safe than sorry.

Yeah, I want to go ahead at some point.. maybe some outside grow some time, but that is very tricky in this state. Not in my area per say, just... you know.

I really really want to grow some of these, but I fully understand exactly what you're saying now THG, and I really appreciate it. At least I asked before just germing. lol.

I don't want to risk something like that in my investment of tents and quality other products.. cheers THG!!

i'd save those jamaica seeds for outside. if you happen to have a true landrace on your hands. growing it indoors can be a bit of a challenge to say the least.

Having smoked quite a bit of bud in Jamiaca on my annual trip to Negril I would have to agree with Shortbus...you might want to grow them outdoors or at the very least plan on some heavy training and extended flowering times indoors.
I will be leaving this Saturday for Negril and I look forward to smoking the local dank even though it is usually a step down from some of the more potent ladies I have grown like Larry OG. I always debate about bringing beans home but usually don't bother. Last time I had about 5 in that small pocket inside your pocket on most jeans and I ditched them before getting to customs and I almost had a heart attack when the dope dog put his nose right on that lil pocket and started sniffing. Luckily he didn't sit, which means he has alerted. Talk about leaving skid marks in your shorts. :D

Hamster Lewis said:
Talk about leaving skid marks in your shorts. :D

A Hamster wearing shorts...............Jamaican me crazy......:D

Have a great trip Hammy, and be careful, you may not go to jail, they may stick you in a Jamacian habitrail....:p

cubby said:
A Hamster wearing shorts...............Jamaican me crazy......:D

Have a great trip Hammy, and be careful, you may not go to jail, they may stick you in a Jamacian habitrail....:p

Lol...will do. My plan is to do another pics of Negril thread in the coffee table. Wife is bringing the good camera this year, wish I had gotten a good waterproof camera for snorkeling. We plan on going at least once everyday. I didn't think I would like snorkeling but it is awesome fun.

TAKE ME WITH YOU!

lol :)

So, I guess it looks like time to purchase some more seeds then... if I'm not going with these genetics I have. I have 1 Toxic Blue fem seed and the rest are all seeds from amazingly good smoking weed, but like THG said.. there's just too much I do not know.

EllisD said:
TAKE ME WITH YOU!

lol :)

So, I guess it looks like time to purchase some more seeds then... if I'm not going with these genetics I have. I have 1 Toxic Blue fem seed and the rest are all seeds from amazingly good smoking weed, but like THG said.. there's just too much I do not know.

The wife has a thing about stow aways...:)

You can get pretty good beans for not a lot of cash at Nirvana, and you would be supporting the site. Just make sure you click the banner at the top if you do decide to order from them so that MP gets credit for sending you there.

I've considered it, but for the price, I always seem to prefer Attitude when I'm browsing. I just considered Nirvana in the back of my mind again, so maybe I'll throw them a purchase this round. I'm just a sucker for top quality and freeeeebies! lol!! :D

I loved snorkeling in the Bahamas several years ago. The corrals and such were so beautiful and peacefull. Didn't get to take in any Bahamian smoke though.

EllisD: If you have the extra space for vegging and you get the itch, you can grow for the whole 8 or more weeks without issue, but what you would have to do is FIM the plants when they get to the 4th to 6th nodes. Then fim again when they get about 8-10"tall. This will buy you some time and will bush them up a bit. Then when they get to a week to 10 days(depending on how fast they grow) out from being moved to the flower, go in and cut them back down to the size that you want.

The extra 7-10 days will give them the time to heal up from having been majorly chopped back, but they will rebound and flower just fine. You may have to remove a couple of the smaller lower branches once they switch to flower to give them girth room but that isn't a problem either. I do it fairly regular with plants that I use as clone mothers. I use them a few times for taking cuttings and it allows them to get fairly big before I can put them into flower and start new clone mothers.

Thanks for all the excellent info and thoughts Hushpuppy! You're a great member! :)

I believe I'll take it slow and wait a few weeks. I should really purchase some more seeds then, because 1 fem seed isn't going to cut it lol.

Now I have to decide what I want to purchase. Always such a hard choice, lol!

EllisD said:
Thanks for all the excellent info and thoughts Hushpuppy! You're a great member! :)

I believe I'll take it slow and wait a few weeks. I should really purchase some more seeds then, because 1 fem seed isn't going to cut it lol.

Now I have to decide what I want to purchase. Always such a hard choice, lol!

Hushpuppy always has good info....... good rep sent your way hushpuppy.

Hushpuppy said:
I loved snorkeling in the Bahamas several years ago. The corrals and such were so beautiful and peacefull. Didn't get to take in any Bahamian smoke though.

EllisD: If you have the extra space for vegging and you get the itch, you can grow for the whole 8 or more weeks without issue, but what you would have to do is FIM the plants when they get to the 4th to 6th nodes. Then fim again when they get about 8-10"tall. This will buy you some time and will bush them up a bit. Then when they get to a week to 10 days(depending on how fast they grow) out from being moved to the flower, go in and cut them back down to the size that you want.

The extra 7-10 days will give them the time to heal up from having been majorly chopped back, but they will rebound and flower just fine. You may have to remove a couple of the smaller lower branches once they switch to flower to give them girth room but that isn't a problem either. I do it fairly regular with plants that I use as clone mothers. I use them a few times for taking cuttings and it allows them to get fairly big before I can put them into flower and start new clone mothers.
Spot on

Where can I purchase it and how much is it? Are they FEM seeds? Thanks for the suggestion! I've heard a lot of you enjoy that.. I was thinking of that, and also considering "Satori" or whatever you all talk about :) Also some others like Zenfindel, Cinderella 99, Critical Kush... Basically I wanted to get a strain unlike the ones I'm currently dealing with, and not pay more than $30 (if possible)

What kind of high do you like or want? IME, the Larry OG is a great uplifting, happy, creative, go do something high. I think the Satori is similar. Barney's Farm has Pineapple chunk which is very liked by myself and all of my clients, and it is a similar up, clear headed high like the Larry and Satori. Trainwreck is one that lives up to its name as it will leave you paralyzed in your recliner, drooling in front of the television. You just about can't go wrong with many of the Kushes. One of my favorites for a relaxing and very medatative high is Blueberry Punch. I think all of these can be found on The Attitude or worldwide marijuana seeds. I think the pineapple chunk can be found at nirvana. I have heard good things about White rhino which is at Nirvana. I currently have some flowering but haven't tried it yet. The Blueberry Punch is about the most forgiving and easy to grow of any that I have tried and it is a mega producer. :)

Heh, you are so helpful Hushpuppy!! :aok:

OH and Pineapple Chunk is what I'm running in my grow journal .. 3x of them. :D

Latest posts

Back