Smart Pot vs Regular Pot....Larry OG

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BBFan said:
Hey Doc! How you been? Good way to start the day!

I'd like to give these a try- just was concerned about all the run-off. Getting ready for another run and thought I might change things up. Thought using these on top of a 5 gallon bucket might help with the run-off- but I get where it would largely defeat the purpose.

Take good care.

They don't create any more run-off than a regular container if you water slowly.

Miss the thanks button! Thanks all.

I'm considering a smart pot for my next grow, I'll be doing a scrog with 28" of grow space height to the top of the light. Not sure what size to use but if you're doing that with 1 gallons I think i'll be fine with 1-2 gal. pots...any input?

burner said:
I'm considering a smart pot for my next grow, I'll be doing a scrog with 28" of grow space height to the top of the light. Not sure what size to use but if you're doing that with 1 gallons I think i'll be fine with 1-2 gal. pots...any input?

I cld see smart pots working well with that...I am gonna try 2 gallon smart pots next run but the one gallon worked great...

Thanks hamster....I think I may get a 2gal. As well

Hamster Lewis said:
I don't think there is a secret but I do think large pots is preached a bit much...nothing wrong with bigger pots but I have grown some huge asss lolipops (single cola) in nothing more then 20 ounce cups all the way through harvest. I think strain and plenty of light help....I like to prune the lower 1/4 to third of the plant to help focus energy to the top colas.
As is I usually yield 2-3 ounces per one gallon pot and I am able to get 9 one gallon pots in my 4x4 tent easily under a 1000 watts of hps.

I think the key is to not veg too long....I veg till they show sex then flip them.

I know this post is a bit dated but I have a couple of questions. Could you share the physical size of the one gallon smart pots? LxWxH please.

Would you be willing to share the type of soil you used and the nutrients?

Thanks

Hamster Lewis said:
For the record I have grown multiple times in these one gallon smart pots and nothing has ever grown out the bottom or sides...won't happen in my opinion....by air prune I believe they mean the roots are constantly pruned on the inside....when I pull the root ball out after harvest you can't see any roots around the outside of the soil.

they grow out the sides and the bottom! thats the idea!

Skool said:
I know this post is a bit dated but I have a couple of questions. Could you share the physical size of the one gallon smart pots? LxWxH please.

Would you be willing to share the type of soil you used and the nutrients?

Thanks

look online, they give specs....and any medium and nute u want!

also look into geopots, they are far superior to smart pots! or airpots, even better!

Kushluvr said:
they grow out the sides and the bottom! thats the idea!

I hve been using Smart Pots for a while now and nothing has ever grown out the sides or bottoms. :confused:

It is not supposed to grow out the sides. If they are growing out the sides that means your sides, that means a couple of things. One, Your canopy is too thick and is super shading the the pots, allowing the roots to grow out of the pot. Two, they are kept too wet too often.
The whole idea of the smart pot is to allow the roots to get "air pruned", meaning that they will poke out the sides of the pot and get "burned", therrefore forcing the roots to grow latterally inside the smart pot filling the pot with rootmass.
You will see a few roots make it and extend out of the pot, but that is not what it is designed for.

Mine grow out the sides or bottom only when the sides are touching one another or when growing outdoors on top of the soil the roots will migrate into the soil, but that is it. When indoors if properly spaced and sitting on the floor no roots grow out the sides or bottom.

I will be trying two 5 gallon smart pots along my 5 gallon Home de Pots for poo's and guffaws. With what Hammy pulls from those 1 galloner's, I'd love to see what I could pull from a 5 gallon Smart Pot.

You finally sold me on it Hammy. Very good thread, comparisons like this is what makes the site awesome to me. :cool2:

:48:

NorCalHal said:
It is not supposed to grow out the sides. If they are growing out the sides that means your sides, that means a couple of things. One, Your canopy is too thick and is super shading the the pots, allowing the roots to grow out of the pot. Two, they are kept too wet too often.
The whole idea of the smart pot is to allow the roots to get "air pruned", meaning that they will poke out the sides of the pot and get "burned", therrefore forcing the roots to grow latterally inside the smart pot filling the pot with rootmass.
You will see a few roots make it and extend out of the pot, but that is not what it is designed for.

Hey Norcal!

What's your take on the Smart Pots/air pruning? Have you done any compare/contrasts with a clone run? Just wonderin'...

:peace:,

7ge:D

Hamster, where's the best place to buy Smart Pots, and where did you buy your Larry OG Kush seeds? Did you go with feminized or regular, and which would you recommend? I'm very impressed with your plants and would love to be able get results approaching that. Keep up the great work! Thanks.

you can get Larry OG from the seedbreeders, Cali Connection, through The Attitude seedbank. You can get smart pots at any of your local indoor/hydroponics stores. Throw your google at it...:rofl:

from CC's website, all these sites sell their gear:

* Sow Amazing Seeds
* Cali Connection Cannabis Seeds Official UK Distributor
* Attitude Seedbank, the worlds largest cannabis seed superstore
* The Cali Connection cannabis seeds from Seedsman
* Select California dispensaries

7greeneyes said:
you can get Larry OG from the seedbreeders, Cali Connection, through The Attitude seedbank. You can get smart pots at any of your local indoor/hydroponics stores. Throw your google at it...:rofl:

from CC's website, all these sites sell their gear:

* Sow Amazing Seeds
* Cali Connection Cannabis Seeds Official UK Distributor
* Attitude Seedbank, the worlds largest cannabis seed superstore
* The Cali Connection cannabis seeds from Seedsman
* Select California dispensaries

Thanks man, found the seeds at Attitude, and also Smart Pots at Amazon for a good price. There seems to be so many advantages to using Smart Pots I'd be crazy not to take advantage, plus Hamster's pics speak volumes. Thanks.

Hamster Lewis said:
Yes....I just soak them real good in soapy water and then rinse them real good....they don't look good visually but they work fine.

when i was at the grow shop here i saw they got smart pots in.. i asked if they was reusable.. he said no so i couldnt see dropping 8 bucks a pot.. all tho i am very intrested in these smart pots.. i wonder if you could use old carpet felt?? the stuff they use under the carpet.. lol .. to make your own smart pots?? now i know you can reuse smart pots i got to give them a try..
Great thread thanks Hamster .. and those plants look spectacular...

Aloha:48:
Squidy

Edit: i also wonder if those fabric walmart bags would work hmm.. 25 cents one..

i asked if they was reusable.. he said no so i couldnt see dropping 8 bucks a pot..

I reuse mine all the time:confused2:

Latest posts

Back