Smart Pot vs Regular Pot....Larry OG

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pcduck said:
I reuse mine all the time:confused2:

yeah the guy was out to make money from me.. funny thing is if i did buy them i would have tryed reusing them anyways:p hahah.. closes grow store to me is 2 hr drive away... i make it there once every two to three months..

I wonder if there is a way to make your own smart grow pots from other sorts of fabrics?? anyone

Aloha
Squidy P

Hey Hammy,

Since you probably don't need any amended perlite because of the extreme aeration, do you put in ...say...some vermiculite to aid in water retention? Do you find that they dry out really quick? Just a cpl ?'s...What's your watering cycle?

:peace:,

7ge:)

7greeneyes said:
Hey Hammy,

Since you probably don't need any amended perlite because of the extreme aeration, do you put in ...say...some vermiculite to aid in water retention? Do you find that they dry out really quick? Just a cpl ?'s...What's your watering cycle?

7ge:)

I keep my soil mix the same....MG Seed Starter Mix with some added perlite to keep the soil from getting too compacted and sweet lime to help with the ph. The biggest downside to using one gallon Smart Pots IMO is how frequently you need to water. I water everyday in flower and can usually get away with every other day in veg. I hve not tried adding vermiculite though.

BoneMan1000 said:
Hamster, where's the best place to buy Smart Pots, and where did you buy your Larry OG Kush seeds? Did you go with feminized or regular, and which would you recommend? I'm very impressed with your plants and would love to be able get results approaching that. Keep up the great work! Thanks.

Thanks bro....apprecite the kind words. I see 7 answered your questions.:)

I found this on the Smart Pots website about cleaning them for reuse:

How do I clean my Smart Pot?

After use dump out the soil and let the bag dry. After a few days of being dry, the dust and small roots will easily brush off. For most people, this is good enough. At this point the Smart Pot folds easily for storage. However, a lot of our customerswill wash the bags in OxyClean or peroxide to sterilize. They use a washing machine or dip the bag in a tub. Do not put the Bags in a dryer.

Hamster Lewis said:
Thanks bro....apprecite the kind words. I see 7 answered your questions.:)

No kind words Hamster, the plants are beautiful. In fact I'm so impressed I'm gonna try to replicate your technique, seed strain, and equipment. Now I'm 100% ready to get started. I'm so glad I held off and decided to research. Even if I was to order my equipment a week ago I would have made some mistakes.

On one level growing is popping a seed in soil, watering, feeding, and providing light, but it seems like there are tons of details you need to pay attention to if you want good results. The cliche "the devil is in the details" seems to apply to growing. So much to consider before planting that first seed. Anyway, I'm not telling you anything you don't know. Just rambling haha.

Have a question: if you're using Smart Pots in tents (grow and veg) how do you deal with the water that drains out of the pots? Do you just let the grow lights evaporate the water, or do you have something under the pots to catch the water, or do you just clean up the water after watering? Thanks.

BoneMan1000 said:
Have a question: if you're using Smart Pots in tents (grow and veg) how do you deal with the water that drains out of the pots? Do you just let the grow lights evaporate the water, or do you have something under the pots to catch the water, or do you just clean up the water after watering? Thanks.

You can sit the Smart Pots in tins just make sure you don't over water to the point where they are sitting in inches of water. I tend to rely on the water proof liner in the tents. Once you get the hang of watering them you might not even need the tins. Generally any water that comes out gets sopped back up into the Smart Pots. They can get quite messy if you don't use tins but I don't mind the mess. jmo

Thanks for the quick reply Hamster. You mean like ordinary pie tins or are there "drainage catchers" you can buy that are specially designed for nurserys or growers? Thanks.

I use plastic saucers under my smart pots and they drink it up. No standing water.

7greeneyes said:
Hey Norcal!

What's your take on the Smart Pots/air pruning? Have you done any compare/contrasts with a clone run? Just wonderin'...

7ge:D

Yes I have sir. As most of you know, I ran a couple of runs with 5 gal smart pots and a dozen or so Air pots.
I also ran a few runs with cheap plastic bags (7 gal).
I am currently running 7 gal cheap plastic bags. I sold all my smart pots and the air pots.
For me, I noticed no real difference in quality or quantity. They all came out pretty much the same.
The only difference I saw was how much a pain in the butt dumping and cleaning the Smart pots were. Not too smart at all. Super pain, for no gain.

For gardeners with smaller gardens, Smart pots would be OK.

Rosebud said:
I use plastic saucers under my smart pots and they drink it up. No standing water.

Thanks, so where do you get these plastic saucers?

BoneMan1000 said:
Thanks, so where do you get these plastic saucers?

Walmart sells them in many different sizes. I would imagine most big box stores sell them also.

pcduck said:
Walmart sells them in many different sizes. I would imagine most big box stores sell them also.

Oh ok, thanks, you mean plastic food plates and not something specifically made for gardeners. Gottcha. I'm very detail oriented so you gotta cut me some slack for that (which you did). :hubba:

Boneman they are in the gardening section. Round saucers in different diameters. I think I have 15"or 20" saucers under my 5 gallon Smart Pots and 8" under my 1 gallon Smart Pots

pcduck said:
Boneman they are in the gardening section. Round saucers in different diameters. I think I have 15"or 20" saucers under my 5 gallon Smart Pots and 8" under my 1 gallon Smart Pots

LOL, oh there are saucers specifically for growing pots. My bad lol. Come to think of it though, plastic dinner plates might work too lol. Anyway, I've beaten this to death but I'm all set now. Thanks again.

I switched to smart pots myself 3 and 5 gallon pots, more roots more fruits! I also switched my Veggies to smart pots 10 gal .

This was the side by side I did. One gallon Smart Pot vs One Gallon Plastic.

Fun to go through and read this, i miss some of those guys! Plus a good grow comparison. Thanks Hamster for doing that. Big difference.

Latest posts

Back