Soil to Hydro?!?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoga

Reaction score
I have never grown before. I decided to buy a turnkey hydro system instead of building my own. I did my research on hydro growing. Researched seeds and seed banks. And am really excited to start. Maybe too excited. I decided to take some seeds of the really good smoke that I had and try my hand at germinating (thinking what the heck, it'll be good practice). Well, my seeds germinated so I went ahead a put them in a yogurt container with some potting soil and some lava rocks in the bottom and threw them up on the window sill. And lo' and behold my little cuties are really taking off.

So here is my question - can I take those and transplant them in rockwool and put them in my hydro closet?

Thanks for any imput! And if anyone has any good info on using a turnkey system I would love to hear about it!

I dont think so? If I were you I would germinate some new seeds and make a Hydro vs. Soil grow journel or something. :)

make a mother plant out of itand take clones for the hydro...i know, takes too long and your excited,just a thought.

A few days back I took a 4" plant in soil and moved it to my hydro. Its doing pretty good. What I did was cut a slit down the side of the wool and placed the plant in it with the roots hanging out. I then place the lava rocks around it to keep the wool secure again.

I've successfully moved plants from soil to hydro. I used pretty much the method monkerz used. Rinse the roots well with a gentle flow of cool water. What kind of hydro system is this?

Thanks for the info, I have been doing a lot of research, but have realized that until you get in there and really start trying you'll never learn. Thank goodness for this place and the people here.

It is a Sunlight Shed Caddy System.

Dimensions: 72" tall x 31" wide x 23" deep
400 watt HPS

It is not that it can not be done, it is more about the fact that it is darn near impossible to rinse all of the soil off the roots, without majorly damaging the root hairs, the root hairs are like little straws drawing up moisture and nutes.

Also you will be left with bits of soil that are completly intwined with the roots. This is where the real trouble begins. Soil has many micro orgamisms that will thrive in a hydroponic system. This can very quickly turn into root rot, stem rot and a whole host of other things.

Like i said it is not that it can not be done, it is more about the fact that you will be causing the plant unneeded stress.

It is a way better idea to just mother your plant and take some clones. Then you can fill your hydroponic system with all uniform clones.

It really depends on what method of hydro u will be using.

Youcan take your soil plant and basically get as much as the loose soil off as you can. Then transplant it into a pot of shreaded rockwool. ( i use a half absorbant/half non-absorbant mix)

Then you can top feed the plant.

Again, it would work for me, because of the hyro system I do.

What is the turn key system u have?

Here is a pic of what I am taking about.

IMG_1132 (Large).JPG

I have done a little more research and have decided that cloning is the way to go. That way I can get my feet wet and some practice with that. I realized that just starting out I need to make things as easy as possible for myself, and not do things that have the potential to cause major problems.

I have the Caddie from Sunlight Sheds.
Dimensions: 72" tall x 31" wide x 23" deep
400 watt HPS
As soon as I have mine set up I will take a pic. I don't want to use the one off their site.

Latest posts

Back