sophomore grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure I'm up to the task of going hydro. I like soil for some reason, but am very interested in the upsides of hydro. You seem to be doing a great job.

Thanks F1, but I am definitely still in the "novice" rating. I would actually love to try soil, as it seems to be the medium of choice for most growers. I was drawn to the idea of hydro due to its seeming ease of maintenance and "beginner" potential. Before my first grow last year, I knew nothing of the process of growing herb, save one flunky attempt at a scattering of "bag seed" in a friends garden. Plants actually grew, but I was so ignorant to the process, that I failed to recognize they were all males and had no idea why the smoke was no good.
Like many others here, I am a student of mother nature's goodness, and only hope to learn enough to get better with each crop. I will stick with hydro for a while, simply because I am growing out of closets and it seems to be the best method for me at the moment.
Hydro is clean, easy. For us beginners is it is a good start, and keeps variables to a minimum. As I am about to attempt my first SOG, I will be doing so exclusively with hydro. I will have an aeroponic system for the mother plants in one closet, and will veg and flower the clones with NFT in another. Last time (my first grow) I was just happy to end up with smokable weed at the end of it all.
It's like life: not a journey, a destination. Well, enough waxing esoteric, I should quit while I am ahead...
Good luck with your grow and I look forward to our future correspondence---MoJo

You mean it's not a destination, but a journey, yes? :p

I still say props, and I'm kinda surprised that you would say that hydro is ealier than soil?

Fluid1 said:
I'm kinda surprised that you would say that hydro is ealier than soil?

Grow is looking great, I was thinkin what Fluid1 was as well...once you get that hydro down you wont want to use that "nasty" soil as StoneyBud would say....

:D I'm sure that I could be convinced to convert, I've just never tried it.

One week till 12/12 begins, and the three plants are at about 2 feet. Just installed a new hooded reflector and it is definitley an improvement over the old batwing thing. Made first attempt at cloning earlier today, took 2 cuttings from each plant. Hope I got it right. As seen in the photos, I just cut them, dipped in rooting gel and placed them right in the rockwool that I had soaked in pH balanced water with just a touch of nutes. Got them on a seedling heat mat with a 125w flouro high above.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions on what they see here, I would be much obliged---
Keeping the fingers crossed,
MoJo

5weeks 001.jpg

5weeks 002.jpg

5weeks 003.jpg

5weeks 004.jpg

5weeks 005.jpg

5weeks 006.jpg

Looking good!! How often are you going to water the clones, and how long until you transplant them? This past Monday I took two clones form my stinky girl, and they have caught on well. I also started flowering this past Monday. Cool, because you and I will be at similar points if you start in a week :cool:

Everything looks pro... could get ur cfl closer to the dome tho... speed up the process... just make sure u check that the cuttings dont dry out too much and u'll be doin great!

Dr.GreenThumb said:
Grow is looking great, I was thinkin what Fluid1 was as well...once you get that hydro down you wont want to use that "nasty" soil as StoneyBud would say....

Hydro rocks man! Excuse me, I have to go clean the hydroponic nutrient solution from under my nails. Ewww, look at that wet stuff! What *can* I wipe it on?

Hhahaahahahaa, nasty, nasty dirt!

You're killin me Doc!

So far onlt 2-3 of the clones look like they MIGHT make it. Not sure what I might have done wrong, but I have some suspicions. Perhaps I had the rockwool TOO wet, maybe I got air in the stem, etc...damn, I had such high hopes...

They seemed to just wither and literally keel over. Like they were saturated, waterlogged. Been pulling off the dome a few times a day to get air in there, but I don't know what it could be. So, if I'm lucky, I will end up with maybe 2 clones from the same plant, and possibly one from another plant. Doesn't exactly narrow my odds if I only end up with one female (which is what I suspect is going to happen).

I am really pushing it waiting until six weeks to go 12/12, as these plants have simply not slowed down for anything and are now at about 30 inches tall. I will run out of room in a hurry if they shoot up during flower, and I don't want to have to top em.

Thanks for the good words, and I will be in touch when the plants decide to show some sexing--

They are looking great man. I lost some clones this time around also but the good thing is you can always take more. ;) We think our problem was to much root powder. Anyway grow is looking great man.

At least some of the clones have taken! I noticed that when I took the lid off the humidity dome for too long the clones would wilt. I'd replace the dome and spray the leaves and the walls of the dome and a couple hours later the'y be looking up at the light just fine... I don't really think that there's an issue with being too wet?

Nope, thas exactly what you want to happen. That way u know they are still kickin.

Just checking in after my hardrive crashed about a week ago---plants are now over 3 feet, and have been in 12/12 under hps for about 5 days now. Still no definite signs of sexing, but I think at least one might be male so far (of course, it is the largest most robust one--). Still too soon to tell, so I will think positive thoughts--
All clones are dead, I didn't do so good my first time, but there is always next time--
I'll take some pics as soon as these things reveal their true selves--
MoJo

Damn, sorry to hear about the computer and the clones, I killed my first clone...but the next batch of two is thriving well after over two weeks. Definitely post some pictures. One of my plants started shooting pistils out everywhere after like 4 days, and the other one took about 8.

my cloning skills used to have 100% results... now they are crap for some reason... i think i'm gonna invest in a heat pad sometime.

Whats up mojomon. Sorry about the clones man but there's always next time. We all learn from our mistakes and only get better. Looking foward to your next round of pics. ;)

Verdict is in: 1 male and 2 females out of 3 total plants.

Not what I had hoped and prayed for, but I am nevertheless thankful for the majority outcome in my favor.

As the photos demonstrate, the male turned out to be the monster plant that took up so much space it actually caused the other two plants to be far less rounded and bushy as a result. (That's it sitting outside the closet after I cut it out by the roots and removed it). What a beautiful specimen of bud it would have been if it were only a lady. No use crying over spilled milk, so I will hang it, dry it, and smoke it while I wait for the genuine article to appear.

The remaining plants are a little skimpy, and I think I will end up having to tie them over a little to keep them from hitting the light, but they should yield a decent harvest if they make it.

Been feeding them the MaxiGro powder nutes for the first week of 12/12, and my intention was to switch to the MaxiBloom powder when I changed the res today. The MaxiBloom powder was really clumped and hard, and didn't mix well in the bottle I use to pre-mix/shake up before I add to the res. Didn't look good, very cloudy and murky and the clumps wouldn't dissolve. I have this 3 part stuff (Vita-Grow), so I decided to go ahead and give it a try. Anyone know if it is a good or bad idea to switch from a powder one-part to a liquid 3 part midstream? Just wondering.

Anyhoo, I'm considering trying to re-veg these ladies after harvest and grab some clones to make mothers. I have heard mixed reviews on this, and I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts as to whether or not this is a good way to go. It's either that or I plant the last of my seeds and start all over, which I would rather not do. Gotta get this cloning thing down.

Cya,
MoJo

1weekflower 001.jpg

1weekflower 002.jpg

1weekflower 003.jpg

1weekflower 004.jpg

1weekflower 005.jpg

Holy crap those things are huge!! Only one week into flower? You are going to have some insanely large plants bro. I hope they also produce some insanely large buds for you!

The ladies are looking great man. Sorry about the male but we all get them when starting from seed. ;)

Latest posts

Back