starting up new grow couple questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emptypackofcigs

Reaction score
first things first... explanation of the setup/grow space and what i want... i am growing in my closet... have a 400w HPS light (doing veg under CFL's) demensions are 4ft wide by 3ft deep by 6ft high... i want to grow in soil and i want to have about 2-4 mature ladies... gonna start from seeds that i have (seeds i have are skunk #1, Shiva Shanti II, Blueberry <from sensi seeds> and i also have a seed of Grapefruit kush <got that from a bag out of the medical dipensery>) i have about 20 seeds total so i think i'm gonna start with 10 a couple of each... i'll germ them using the paper towel method and i'll put them into plastic cups then into larger pots as i go... my main question i have is a 2 part question... so here it goes... what is a good soil for growing and which nutes should i buy? other questions i have are... where can i get that soil? how much soil should i use? how much water is normal for watering? (for sprouts, smaller plants, larger plants, flowering) <<never grown in soil before and i want to know this before i start so i am prepaired only grown hydro before>> and also any other info you think i should know... the reason i guess i'm not just reading a grow journal or guide is because i've read alot of guides and they never get down to specifics like which soil or which nutes... so i'm asking for some help here... any help is greatly appreciated... thanks in advance.. peace

Alrighty. First off, this is purely my opinion and is not set in stone. First, If I were a first time grower, I would chose to grow plants all of one strain, not a few different others. Reason being, the same strain will relatively have the same wants a needs for water, lighting, food. I made the mistake by growing more than one strain my first grow and it turned out being a lot more work for me.

Soil? Well, I use FF dirt that I get from my hydro shop. Costs me about $40 for 10 gallons :eek:. TBG and a few others here love using Miracle-Grow soil which can be purchased at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart...

To make your life easier and tastier in the long run, grow organic. It is nearly impossible to burn your plants with organics. If you do some studying it is something that can be very rewarding. Check out Eman's grow journal. It is very thorough and has many articles on organics. Even recipes for your own killer soil mix!!!:cool:

Seriously, the best thing for you to do is to read every night for a solid week. Check this out. And, yet again, I can't stress enough how important Eman's grow journal is for expanding your knowledge with growing in general:p ;) :rolleyes:

hey empty pac..... Alot of your questions can be answered just by looking through other parts of this sight/ journals,etcc.....

thanks guys...but i know i've actually looked at all these journals... i've read through most of them... eman's was one of the reason i wanted to go soil anyways... i merely wanted to get some opinions from other growers who grow through soil and see if there were any likes and or dislikes about certain soils nutes and additives... DL... thanks for the tip on the different strains... but for my first grow i actually did grow 2 strains and they are successful as we speak they are growing beautifully... another 4-5 weeks before i harvest... but they are in hydro... and i want to go organic... cause it is tastier... thanks for the feed back though i'm gonna go back to emans journal and read up on some mix's... thanks

I have not used it yet, but have heard good things about Miracle grow organic soil. I have plans next soil run to pick up a bag, add some goodies and see if I can go thru flower with no nutes added.

As for now, I use Sta-Green all purpose potting soil with Peters ferts in veg and Better grow orchid in flower.

Latest posts

Back