Tell me what you think im a nubbie.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILoveganja.com

Reaction score
I need all the pointers i can get. I think it looks ok. They are 3 weeks old. When are they gonna get bigger? Are they ever? These are just from bag seeds.

SANY0538.jpg

SANY0538_edited.jpg

SANY0539.jpg

SANY0540.jpg

SANY0541.jpg

SANY0542.jpg

SANY0543.jpg

SANY0544.jpg

SANY0545.jpg

SANY0546.jpg

SANY0547.jpg

SANY0548.jpg

They look pretty nice.

Is that tinfoil on the walls or mylar? If it's tinfoil, get rid of it, it will cause hotspots and burn your babies.

When do you intend to transplant them to bigger pots?

Keep an eye on the one with the leaves curling under, that could be trouble, ease up on the ferts if it continues.

Nice looking indica bushes though mate. keep at it.

you people should see what those two looked like last week. it was a scary time but glad to see ya got that thing rockin. and yeah i gotta agree man might need a different relfective surface. well gotta get back to work. i got babies pushing through the dirt as we speak.

Yea looking good so far mate :) Get ready to transplant them into lager pots a.s.a.p. Looks like you are useing 2 x 40watt lights. Dont know how much you want to invest but I would get a MH/HPS light. They can run a few bucks so if you dont want to get one I would suggest get some cfl's. They are better then the fluorescent tube lights you are useing and they are more energy effent and will last longer :) How long is your lighting cycle? You should keep the light on for 24/7 with the lights you have for I would say 2-4 weeks, just because the lights are weak and they will grow faster.

How often are you watering? with soil you only need to water once a week or when the soil get dry. Dont over use nuts/fertilizers that can cause nut burn witch can stun grow or even kill :confused:

But so far your doing good it looks like :)

Im using Four 4' Fluorescent tube lights 40wats X 2. 24/7 light cycle. Yeah I was watering like every 2 days and giving it nutes every 4 days. I will change watering to once a week or when needed. I will give nutes once a week now also. Yes that is tin- foil and since you told me that im getting rid of it asap. I have my lights like 6 inches away from my babies. I just transplated them to these medium sized "make shift" pots. I know they said i need to transplate to a bigger pot but would this put too much stress on my babies,being that i just transplated them? Or are they fine for now where they are? My ph is around 6.7-6.9. Are they to small for being only 3 weeks? Someone told me there are going to go, just give it a couple of weeks;is this true? Please help me!!!!!!

if you can't find or afford the thicker mylar designed for this purpose I should imagine you will have no trouble finding plenty of mylar christmas wrapping in the dollar stores. If you got some cardboard and cut it to shape then applied some spray adhesive and lay the wrapping foil over the cardboard you'd have the desired result.

The cardboard isn't absolutely necessary but the christmas wrap will tear easily.

ILoveganga, your plants will get big when you provide more light. You should be able to bring those lights in closer. Try to bring them in as close as an inch from the tops of the plants. So far, they look pretty good, just a bit on the small side for three weeks, but they look healthy. I do believe you've been watering and fertilizing too much.

If you just transplanted let them fill out those containers before transplanting them again. A plant can only get as big as the size of the pot that it's in allows. You can grow a nice healthy plant that's vegging in a three gallon pot and it'll grow nicely. You take the same plant and put it in a five gallon pot it will grow even bigger. The bigger the pot, the more room for the roots to grow nice and big and take in more nutrients to make the plants grow big.

Your pH is pretty good. Try to maintain it between 6.3 and 6.8. 6.5-6.6 is an ideal pH to aim for. In order to do this, a lot of people adjust the pH of the watering solution to about 6.2-6.4, and then water. Test the soil pH periodically.

You have two plants and four 4' fluorescent tubes at 40 watts each? I assume they're cool white tubes? If so, those should be good enough to veg two plants. For flowering try to get an HPS lamp.

smokingjoe said:
if you can't find or afford the thicker mylar designed for this purpose I should imagine you will have no trouble finding plenty of mylar christmas wrapping in the dollar stores. If you got some cardboard and cut it to shape then applied some spray adhesive and lay the wrapping foil over the cardboard you'd have the desired result.

The cardboard isn't absolutely necessary but the christmas wrap will tear easily.

cardboard ..paper ,,and intensive heat ,,,sounds like a fire hazard to me ,,,:confused:
jmo ,,,:48:

also once repotted and closer to the lights they will soon take off :48:

UKgirl420 said:
cardboard ..paper ,,and intensive heat ,,,sounds like a fire hazard to me ,,,:confused:
jmo ,,,:48:

also once repotted and closer to the lights they will soon take off :48:

Paper? I was talking about the mylar foil christmas wrap, there's no paper in it. The cardboard would be no more dangerous than the paper lining of a gyprock house board or cupboard in which millions of people grow in.

personally I'd just spring for the mylar, but tin foil is usually used by people on tight budgets.

those flourest can be closer..I run mine 1" inch from canopy..but this is seedlings then they go under MH..Milar is cheap...and white paint is easy..your choice..glad you got rid of the foil..What strain are you running? and what nutes are you useing..I feed mine every other watering..I use Fox farm.....water...feed..water..feed..water..feed...thats what the bottle says thats what i do..hope this helps:bolt::bong:

smokingjoe said:
Paper? I was talking about the mylar foil christmas wrap, there's no paper in it. The cardboard would be no more dangerous than the paper lining of a gyprock house board or cupboard in which millions of people grow in.

personally I'd just spring for the mylar, but tin foil is usually used by people on tight budgets.

ok but the mylar foil christmas wrap i have certainly flames when heat is applied ,,,i have just put a lighter near it and whoosh it was up in flames :peace:

personally id go with flatwhite paint :48:

The trouble with foil is not only that it can create hot spots, but it is a very poor reflector of light.

You are really going to need more/better light to flower. Start saving your pennies.:D

go with some higher end cfl's. or an air cooled hps system

The Hemp Goddess said:
The trouble with foil is not only that it can create hot spots, but it is a very poor reflector of light.

You are really going to need more/better light to flower. Start saving your pennies.:D

Hate to disagree with the Hemp Goddess about foil, but:
The reflectivity of bright aluminium foil is 88% while dull embossed foil is about 80% [4]. (Wikipedia)

Titanium dioxide paint = approx. 90% according to: hXXp://books.google.com/books?id=O389yQ0-fecC&pg=PA109&lpg=PA109&dq=reflectivity+%2B%22white+paint%22&source=web&ots=7yHcai0xmM&sig=i6VgH6vuR6gZd-SCDUWzMZNM0Po&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=10&ct=result#PPA108,M1

[SIZE=-1]In the physiological temperature range, the polished 'shiny' aluminized side of Mylar film has a reflectivity of p = 0.96[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
(hXXp://books.google.com/books?id=Q4C0Pxm3RvkC&pg=PA269&dq=reflectivity+%2B%22mylar%22&lr=)

- so, not much difference between the foil and the flat white paint, but the Mylar is better. Unfortunately I am finding it very hard to find Mylar film where I am. I will have to mail order it at high expense because with the high price of electricity, I want to save every single photon!
Sorry to be nitpicking, I am that way ... an engineer.
[/SIZE]

looks nice! if it was me, i wouldnt transplant them personally. Id leave them in there for atleast a month. When i get a nice tight root system, my plants do so much better. requires a little more watering. My cousin ran a grow straight 12/12 in red plastic cups and OHHH MAN! i've never had some FIRE like that!!!! Its up to you tho! either way they will be fine!

But i do agree with throwin out the aluminum foil. I dont use anything. the white paint!!!! thats the best idea! looks like they are in your room? im sure you wont have a hard time with watering.

leafminer said:
Hate to disagree with the Hemp Goddess about foil, but:
The reflectivity of bright aluminium foil is 88% while dull embossed foil is about 80% [4]. (Wikipedia)

[SIZE=-1]

- so, not much difference between the foil and the flat white paint, but the Mylar is better. Unfortunately I am finding it very hard to find Mylar film where I am. I will have to mail order it at high expense because with the high price of electricity, I want to save every single photon!
Sorry to be nitpicking, I am that way ... an engineer.
[/SIZE]

I can tell ya one big difference.....................................................:aok:

Try wiping down foil when your cleaning your grow area....................

IMO foil is a false economy....................................

Foil is useless. I have a white cabinet, so the insides are already a nice shiny flat white. Flat White Paint is as cheap as a loaf of bread.

Over time foil is going to rip, crinkle, and get dirty. (Like bud.uncle pointed out.

Get some ply wood, paint it white and make an incasing for those babies.

Latest posts

Back