thc from clones = less?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ojae

Reaction score
hey guys i was wondering when u clone a from the mother plant does the clones produce less thc or is it the exact same?

it's the same genetics in the clone as in the mother plant. yes, same... more or less... there is a possibility of degredation, but more or less, it SHOULD be the same.

It is definitely the same genetics, but my experience has been that the first cutting from the original mother plant seem to have a higher density of trichomes. The trichome density doesn't keep increasing just stays similar from then on. I attribute that to the maturity level of plants. I usually take a cutting and put mother in 12/12 to flower. She isn't fully matured and has no alternating nodes. So I feel the plant is forced into flower and is stressed. By the time the cuttings go to flower they have matured with alternating nodes and preflowers at every node.
I don't recall ever waiting until the mother was naturally matured and then taking a cutting from her.

No.......its a "Clone"

However, i do believe after a certain ammount of genertaions that a plants "dna" ( i guess)...starts to change, and could potientally decline in thc %.
I think its after 15-20 generations.....but i have smoked 10th generation, and it seemed sooooooooo good.
so who knows.

What you are talking about is mutation and it would be pretty rare, chances are if one of your cuttings did mutate it would die so to answer your question no the THC would be the same as it share identical genetic makeup as the parent. The only reason the THC level would drop is because of something you did. Say change the lighting, or air circulation or whatever, it would be totally environmental.

after a certian generation they will degrade in potency, but not in flavor.

I had a Skunk#1 that was 3 or 4 years old when I got it and I cloned off of that for 12 years and it was always good weed ,except for the times I messed up

So long as you maintain a consistent environment the potency of your plants will always remain the same. I have heard of growers keep their mothers for 3 years and over with no loss (at least not noticeably so) to potency.

Potency is genetic and I don't believe that even environmental factors (catastrophes aside) can have much of an impact on the actual potency level of a plant. Sure the environment can have an impact on the mass of trichomes that are produced, maybe even the amount of trichomes that are potent... but the actual potency is genetic, and to change that takes a lot of growing the same plant through successive breeding in the wrong, or very bad, environment. As the plant's new seeds will be genetically inferior.

Clones though will always hold the same genetic pattern... and I believe the loss to potency is merely within one's own mind, boredom maybe.

gardenguru said:
So long as you maintain a consistent environment the potency of your plants will always remain the same. I have heard of growers keep their mothers for 3 years and over with no loss (at least not noticeably so) to potency.

Potency is genetic and I don't believe that even environmental factors (catastrophes aside) can have much of an impact on the actual potency level of a plant. Sure the environment can have an impact on the mass of trichomes that are produced, maybe even the amount of trichomes that are potent... but the actual potency is genetic, and to change that takes a lot of growing the same plant through successive breeding in the wrong, or very bad, environment. As the plant's new seeds will be genetically inferior.

Clones though will always hold the same genetic pattern... and I believe the loss to potency is merely within one's own mind, boredom maybe.
"I" believe environment can absolutely effect potency. I believe that environment can also effect degedation, due to mj's ability/willingness to adapt,evolve...
Environmental Influence

It takes high quality genetics to produce high quality marijuana, but genetics is only half of the equation. The genetic structure (genotype) only plays 50% of the role in determining the appearance and quality (phenotype) of a given plant. The other half is determined by environmental conditions such as light, temperature, humidity and soil nutrition. All these factors play a role in both the physical and chemical nature of marijuana's trichomes.

The best way to take a look at how environment affects THC production is to look where on the planet cannabis has naturally adopted a high THC profile. As cannabis has spread around the world it has taken on many different traits to help in its adaptation to varied areas. The best drug varieties have always been found at equatorial or high altitude locations. The one thing which both of these variables have in common is high light intensity and a large amount of ultraviolet (UV) light in the spectrum.

Recent Swiss trials in outdoor plots of clones grown at different altitudes have shown that there is correlation between higher altitude and increased potency (although there seems to be a trade off in yield). This likely means that THC-rich resins act to protect the plant and its seed from both higher light intensities and ultraviolet presence. It's no surprise that cannabis has developed a chemical to protect itself against the Sun's damaging UV rays, as they can be injurious to all forms of life.

2159-19_tri.jpg
In a plant's search for survival, energy put towards unneeded processes is wasted energy. Therefore a high-THC plant grown in a low THC environment will likely produce a medium THC result.

Humidity also plays a role in plant resin production. Although some potent equatorial strains do seem to occur in high humidity areas, most high-test land races have evolved in drier areas, like Afghanistan. The aridity of the areas of Afghanistan where Indica strains have evolved is quite apparent by the trait of large dense flower clusters. This would only be an advantage in an area of low humidity, as flowers will mold in anything more.2

There are many examples of non-cannabis plants producing resins in order to protect themselves from drying out. The waxy coating on cacti and other succulent plants is a prime example.3 Marijuana flowered in humid conditions will often have a longer stalk on the glandular trichome than the same strain grown in drier conditions. While this may give the appearance of being very crystallized, it will likely contain less THC than the same plant grown in a drier environment. Another problem with longer trichome stalks is that the gland heads are more likely to break off during handling.
hXXp://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2159.html

I can't recall if it was DJ Short or Clarke wroye an interesting article on "environment, and it's influence on bringing out sativa or indica traits" in mj, also.

Latest posts

Back