Troughs instead of buckets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Mine hermied perfectly this year"

I must say, i have never read this statement in my life.... WOW... I myself hate hermies... I learn every day...

If it's not broken!......I'm not a fan of plants sharing growing mediums...your grows in the individual pots look great...hope u have tough skin...experimentation is from my experience majorly frowned apon by the self appointed guru's...if you simply wanna try something, do it, don't let others opinions on what you're doing discourage you...have fun and keep it green...

Self appointed guru's bud, that wasn't very nice.... If your talking about me... i am not a guru of anything.
I just hate seedy weed.. I feel it takes too much energy from the plant to make seeds and the end product is not quite dank enough.

Bud: no one here has ever called or even insinuated that any of us are Gurus. This is however an open forum where ideas and "opinions" are expressed, and most often by those who have a lot of experience under their belt. That does not mean that we are the know all end all of MJ growing, and there is not one "right way" to grow great buds. :) Everyone has their own methods that apply to their individual circumstances. However, If you decide to do something different and showcase it here,(and ask for opinions) people will give their opinions, and as the name says, "Passion" is the way folks feel about their grows.

Hackerman: I think its cool that your plants have worked out that way. It does sound like the original plants were landrace genetics from Colombia, so its reasonable that they would be very strong genetically. History has proven your results so far so I wouldn't change it unless you just want to try some different breed mixing for the fun of it. However with the right strains you will probably end up breeding out the hermy trait rather than passing it on. Hard to say though as genetics are amazing and tricky. :)

"Mine hermied perfectly this year"

I must say, i have never read this statement in my life.... WOW... I myself hate hermies... I learn every day...

I agree--to me that is an oxymoron. Back before they started making fem seeds, I never saw a hermy. The first time you have a crop totally seeded--4-5 months of work virtually down the drain--it gives you a new perspective re hermies. To me, there is no way on earth that I am going to risk my crop, i.e. purposely put hermy genetics in my grow room. Quality genetics are not that expensive and if you learn to clone, you have females all the time.

Well, hopefully, I will be getting some quality seeds soon and I can start a whole new strain. After all, I have been smoking this same strain for 3 decades+. I have to wonder if I have built a tolerance. LOL Sometimes I buy a bag just to have something different.

Still, considering all I have done wrong for all these years, the room looks pretty nice. That 400w light seems to have penetrated the canopy and given plenty of light to the lower buds.

So far, 1 Indica has seeded but only on 2 of the buds. I think I see a couple of the lower buds on 1 of the Sativas starting to seed.

The reason I always hermied is because it was my only source of seeds. For me, seedbanks are only a myth and don't really exist. LOL And, since I never got more than a few buds that seeded, I always thought it was a good thing. LOL

View attachment room1.jpg

Hackerman, how are the troughs working, are you going to use that method again?

They are working out great. I have about 40 plants in a 4x4 room where I used to have 16. As expected, some of the plants were dwarfed by the others but most of them are doing great. I am going to do a thread on it right after I harvest.

The only down side is not being able to move individual plants. LST works to push a plant to the side but moving them is , I believe, better.

The picture 2 posts up is my last harvest in 16-2 gallon pots. Check out the picture below and compare the 2. From the looks of things, I am going to get 2x to 3x the harvest from the 40 plants than I did the 16. And, as shown in the last pic, the buds are pretty frosty.

I am definitely going to do this again because there were some other variables involved last time. I am getting ready to cut some new clones so I will put one (7 gallon) trough in with the 13 buckets (the trough taking the place of 3 buckets and containing 6 to 8 plants).

View attachment troughs071214-1.jpg

View attachment troughs071214-2.jpg

View attachment troughs071214-3.jpg

View attachment troughs071214-4.jpg

View attachment troughs071214-5.jpg

Looking good Hackerman, it is always nice when everything comes together the way you want it to. Some real nice buds in there.:fly:

Yes, I have been growing hermies on purpose for decades. Goes back to a time when there were no seed banks or hybrid seeds. If you had a good strain, you had to keep seeding it to perpetuate your grow. Hermies were much better than a male/female setup. I actually induced the hermie trait on purpose using (if I remember right) asprin in water, sprayed on the plants.

I never get males or male flowers. Only the little nanners that pop up on a bud now and then. And, it would usually only pollinate the bud it was on. I have smoked about 4 ounces from my last harvest and I got about 10 or 15 seeds so far. That is my typical result of 2 or 3 seeds per ounce.

On the crop in the picture, I have 3 plants that actually got heavily seeded. The rest of the plants look pretty clean. I will devote those 3 plants to extraction experiments.

Now that I can get quality seeds easily, I am done with the hermie plan. LOL

Latest posts

Back