Unflowering?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor bongwater

Still Green!
Reaction score
Hello all!
I am fairly new here and I already have a question. I recently purchased a few cuttings (for the sole purpose of mothers) and after looking closer, two of the three are just beginning to show preflowers. Should I just flower these two and pick up another set for veg.? Or could I force them back into veg. and still make mothers out of them?
Thanks
Prof

Professor bongwater said:
Hello all!
I am fairly new here and I already have a question. I recently purchased a few cuttings (for the sole purpose of mothers) and after looking closer, two of the three are just beginning to show preflowers. Should I just flower these two and pick up another set for veg.? Or could I force them back into veg. and still make mothers out of them?
Thanks
Prof
Whats up PBW. Do you have them in flower or are they still in veg?

mornin' Prof'...if the cuts were taken from a "mature" plant, pre-flowers may be imminent. Some strains will never revert back to a vegetating state that doesn't include pre-flowering.

Thanks Guys,
TBG: They are veging under fluorescence now and have been for the last week. If I don't see a noticeable change soon I will move them to flower.
Hick: If they never revert back what is the outcome of such a plant that is allowed to continue under the vegative light cycle? Will they ever fully flower or will they remain in some sort of a limbo state?
Prof.

If its not a big deal to grab some more clones I would start over. Good luck in whatever you choose to do!

Stunzeed...

Yeah, i'd do the same if you don't have the time... I've had clones take a month to get going coming off of a flowering plant.

Thanks for all the feedback!
I was tempted to flower them as soon as I noticed the pistils. Only I really had my heart set on bigger plants to flower or make mommies out of, but I am sure they still will make for a tasty snack one day. I guess I will have to be more cautious when purchasing cuttings in the future.
Well, we learn as we grow!!!
Thanks again
Prof.

Thanks Guys,
TBG: They are veging under fluorescence now and have been for the last week. If I don't see a noticeable change soon I will move them to flower.
Hick: If they never revert back what is the outcome of such a plant that is allowed to continue under the vegative light cycle? Will they ever fully flower or will they remain in some sort of a limbo state?
Prof.

No, Professor; they will flower when you take [place] them in a 12/12 light cycle. Here's what I did on my last/current grow: Had 3 plants of same strain; two were female. Took clones about 1-2 weeks into flowering [8 clones] from the 2 females [4 clones from each]. Rooted and potted; put on 24/0 low-light floro until they looked strong. Gave 4 away, left me with 4. Transplanted to larger pots about week 3-4, while waiting for the "moms" to finish flowering. Harvested original two females/dryed/curred. Then, took the 4 clones to "the big lights", and took 5 clones [3 from one/2 from another] about 2-3 weeks later. Now repeating the same cycle, as the original 4 clones are now in 12/12 light cycle [flowering]. Not sure if I'm going to repeat, but, I am going to take "the weakest" of the 5 clones and keep it in my nursery under at least 18/6 light, and keep it trimmed back [kind of stunted, if you will]. This way, if I want the stain again [which is a low yielder but good smoke], I can start the process all over again.
I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this, but it's worked for me. I've gotten some "new" stains, so I want to experiment doing the same with them. I really love MY hobby! ;) Have fun!

Nelson

Nelson,
After rooting the cuttings from a flowering mother and placing them back to veg. how much vertical growth did they achieve in the time they was on the 24/0 cycle? Did they continue producing new flowers? Sorry for all the questions. I am not at all new to the hobbie, I just have never had a reason to go from flowering back to veg. (before now).
Thanks
Prof.

Nelson,
After rooting the cuttings from a flowering mother and placing them back to veg. how much vertical growth did they achieve in the time they was on the 24/0 cycle? Did they continue producing new flowers? Sorry for all the questions. I am not at all new to the hobbie, I just have never had a reason to go from flowering back to veg. (before now).
Thanks
Prof.
Whats up PBW. Last year we took a clone from a outdoor plant we had that was stomped on by deer. The plant was in flower at the time. We took the clone home and rooted the little lady and stuck her back into veg for like 2 months and she got huge. At the time of harvest she was like 4 feet tall. :eek: Anyway yes you can put them back into veg and they will grow. You will continue to see the white hairs but that's no big deal.

THE BROTHER'S GRUNT said:
Whats up PBW. Last year we took a clone from a outdoor plant we had that was stomped on by deer. The plant was in flower at the time. We took the clone home and rooted the little lady and stuck her back into veg for like 2 months and she got huge. At the time of harvest she was like 4 feet tall. :eek: Anyway yes you can put them back into veg and they will grow. You will continue to see the white hairs but that's no big deal.

Yup...exactly..in "most" cases. You will continue to see preflowers, even though it is in a vegetative state.

Nelson,
Thanks
Prof.

No problem, Prof.; ask away...that's what we're all here for. I can't give you an accurate growth, because I LST my plants. I just let them develop until I couldn't keep under my lights any longer [you might say I'm vertically challenged in this area]. And, no, they didn't flower UNTIL they were put into a 12/12 cycle [and your clones won't "continue to flower" on 24/0]. I would have to say that you would be in control of how tall/bushy you would want these plants. Two things I like about this: 1) Duplicate of sex/strain, and 2) Shorter growth cycle from veg to flower. If the stain you have it a good one, you'll be doing yourself a big favor keeping it going. Hope this helps, Prof....

Nelson

Latest posts

Back