"weekend gardening"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohninWI

Reaction score
I'm going to be re-starting grad school in mid-august. I'll be getting an apartment in my new town, but want to have my closet running at my actual home (where my fiance will still be living).

I will be coming home on the weekends. Wondering if you guys think it's possible to run a garden by caring for it only on the weekends? I never really gave it a try--since I live here, I check in every day to take care of things.

What would be the easiest? I'm thinking soil--and using large soil containers to store up some moisture--would be the way to go. Maybe grow a few larger plants in 3 or 4 gallon buckets. I figured the large containers would level out fluctuations in nutes, water, pH... I can't imagine that the plants would be able to transpire and use up that much water in a 5 day period.

If anyone has tried something like this, I'd love to hear any ideas.

Hello JohninWI :)

Yes, no problems, the only problem I can see is when the plants get big, they will need watering half way through the week.

Lights on timers and your set to go.

:peace:

how about a drip system? i made one outta a 5 gallon water jug last winter when i was going to be gone for a week..it was set on a hose timmer..and gravaty fed..fed 6 plants every onther day for 15 min..with 1 gallon an hour dripper..good luck..and with fiance still liveing there..can she not tend them?

Latest posts

Back