New recruit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's organic, and then there's living soil. No-till is another term for living soil. The objective there is to harness microorganisms and various organisms in the soil like worms, bugs, plant matter and shit to cultivate a resilient soil capable of consistently yielding healthy cannabis every grow, all while eliminating the need for frequent fertilizer applications or soil replacement.

With my fox farms I have to keep reamending and while there are organisms in the soil breaking down the nutes so the plant can utilize, I ain't messing with decaying matter and Worms and all that.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm joining the forum as I'm going through my first living soil grow. I'm particularly interested in learning more about living soil grow and understanding how to keep the plants happy, in an organic way. Interestingly, I'm not necessarily big into organics for my groceries but I've heard so many praises about living soil grow and its results in taste, I wanted to have a good understanding and try to get it working within my setup.

So ultimately I've done what I always do when I need to learn something which is to dive into a group of experienced people about the subject matter. Currently I'm checking out the waters between growing related forums and I've been suggested mj passion as a friendly place (which is the upmost importance for me when trying to find a forum where I can call "home base")

Hoping to learn and participate, thanks for having me!
Welcome and Glad you made it here. Enjoy..

Hi Cb
That's something that's confusing me. I'm reading the ingredients of the Ocean Forest and it sounds like it is a living soil but most living soil people seem to frown upon it. I don't understand what's different, it says organic and it has pretty much similar ingredients to most of these "just add water" living soil mixes. If anyone is willing to point out any differences or reasons to avoid FFOF in a living soil setup I'd be happy to listen.

Do you use the stonington blend? That was one of the suggestions for living soil options but it was even pricier compared to the dirtcraft organics soil.
My next big worry is the water. I'm trying to understand if I can get away with just filtering the tap water with brita filters and leave it to aerate to remove the chlorine or if I really need to spend $120 on a chlorine removal filter. I checked the local water report, and asked about it to the local hydro shop, it's around 7.5+ pH, and water report (and past news articles) seem to suggests no chloramine but chlorine added.
That's something that's confusing me. I'm reading the ingredients of the Ocean Forest and it sounds like it is a living soil but most living soil people seem to frown upon it. I don't understand what's different, it says organic and it has pretty much similar ingredients to most of these "just add water" living soil mixes. If anyone is willing to point out any differences or reasons to avoid FFOF in a living soil setup I'd be happy to listen.

Do you use the stonington blend? That was one of the suggestions for living soil options but it was even pricier compared to the dirtcraft organics soil.
My next big worry is the water. I'm trying to understand if I can get away with just filtering the tap water with brita filters and leave it to aerate to remove the chlorine or if I really need to spend $120 on a chlorine removal filter. I checked the local water report, and asked about it to the local hydro shop, it's around 7.5+ pH, and water report (and past news articles) seem to suggests no chloramine but chlorine added.
Hey Chamenon...I use CoM's Stonington Blend in 10 gallon pots and I use all of their amendments exclusively. I live in NYC where the water is really good and has a neutral pH, but I still use a Zero Water filter with a gallon and a half reservoir. They're about $36 on Amazon.

Good luck with all of your grows!

Join our Podcast the second Monday of each month ..
We have and give detailed information about things we know about .
We also have and give information about things we know nothing about.
So far no recalls.
We have been lucky :)
I thought that was where bingo was?
Foiled again darn it.

Bubba

There's organic, and then there's living soil. No-till is another term for living soil. The objective there is to harness microorganisms and various organisms in the soil like worms, bugs, plant matter and shit to cultivate a resilient soil capable of consistently yielding healthy cannabis every grow, all while eliminating the need for frequent fertilizer applications or soil replacement.

With my fox farms I have to keep reamending and while there are organisms in the soil breaking down the nutes so the plant can utilize, I ain't messing with decaying matter and Worms and all that.
Agreed. That's for outdoors! I do use teas and beneficial bacterias and that's as close to outdoors that I want indoors. But some may have that dialed in. If I had a green house, that might just work for me. I don't have a greenhouse!

Bubba

Thank you! Interesting thing is that I don't pay too much attention to organic stuff at the grocery store. I guess the quality of my weed is more important than the quality of my food :D. I'm absolutely not an organics snob, in fact I was looking for hydrophonic options until my friend brought up "the best tasting buds and terpene profiles" claim for living soil grown, so I wanted to give it a try. The worst case scenario, I'll buy a bottle of maxibloom and turn it into a zombie soil if it doesn't work for me.

Just trying not to add more damage to my lungs after smoking so many weird tasting pre-legalization weed. I hope it's worth the effort!
Synganic 😉🤘

high

They're coming to take me away, haha
They're coming to take me away, hoho, hehe, haha
To the happy home with trees and flowers and chirping birds
And basket weavers who sit and smile and twiddle their thumbs and toes
And they're coming to take me away, haha

bye

Agreed. That's for outdoors! I do use teas and beneficial bacterias and that's as close to outdoors that I want indoors. But some may have that dialed in. If I had a green house, that might just work for me. I don't have a greenhouse!

Bubba
Fah sho! I don't want that in my house either haha

One of these days I will work my way into compost teas but as of right now, I just don't want to buy more equipment. I'll just use recharge.

Last edited:

Yes I use the stonington blend.
Um fortunate to get it from a whole sale green house supply Griffen
I fill up a 9 gal container and let it sit then i put ph down its runs as it around 7.4

I have two worm bins that I have been feeding for a couple of years. I made tea with last year but I haven't done anything with them since but feed. So I have to get them out and stored but I'm going to wait till a little later in the fall and I'm just going to save the castings and use them next grow. Well see how that goes.

You can save yourself a couple of bucks on the filter just by buying a couple of plastic garbage cans. Fill 'em up and let 'em set for a week. The chlorine will dissipate.

You can save yourself a couple of bucks on the filter just by buying a couple of plastic garbage cans. Fill 'em up and let 'em set for a week. The chlorine will dissipate.
Thank you for the suggestion! I'm planning take that route for a while, in a 20 gal storage tote that I already have to expose more surface area to air.

1694909824241.jpeg

How long does it take for Chlorine to fully evaporate from tap water?​

Depending on its levels of content, the evaporation time for chlorine from tap water can be estimated:

2 ppm of Chlorine will take up to 4 and a half days to evaporate from 10 gallons of standing water. Ultraviolet light, water circulation, and aeration will significantly speed up evaporation. If, however, the same amount of water gets boiled, chlorine will evaporate in less than 8 minutes.

This makes Boiling the fastest method to remove Chlorine from water. Chloramine, however, doesn’t evaporate as quickly.

In fact, it is pretty stable.

The reason behind this is an additional molecule bond that’s not present in chlorine.

The bond makes chloramine less reactive so it doesn’t produce any disinfection byproducts or break down easily like chlorine. It’s why companies use chloramine in the first place.

Chloramine does not gas off as easily and it is more long-lasting.

Chlorine VS Chloramine in our tap water?​

Why you should care to know the difference:

Free chlorine is being kept in drinking water via pipe pressure.

As soon as it leaves the sink there is no pressure to hold it inside anymore, and it starts to naturally gas off.

Chloramine, on the other hand, represents the chemical bond between chlorine and ammonia which makes it quite stable.

How long does it take for Chlorine to fully evaporate from tap water?​

Depending on its levels of content, the evaporation time for chlorine from tap water can be estimated:

2 ppm of Chlorine will take up to 4 and a half days to evaporate from 10 gallons of standing water.
Thank you! Looks like our city water has below 1.5ppm of chlorine. Probably in a week or I should fill up a storage tote and let it sit for a week. Can I keep using that water until its gone or is there a point to refill with fresh water and let it sit again?

Yes and yes

ya may need three or more totes , depends on how many plants you are watering and how thirsty they are

Yes and yes

ya may need three or more totes , depends on how many plants you are watering and how thirsty they are
That's why I used garbage cans. Started out with three but downsized to two. I run the same water in the hydro tanks and change it once a week to refresh the nutes.
Bought the cheapest cans I could find. I was honestly expecting to go downstairs and see where one had split from the pressure. Never did.

Latest posts

Back