New recruit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chamenon

Reaction score
Hi, I'm joining the forum as I'm going through my first living soil grow. I'm particularly interested in learning more about living soil grow and understanding how to keep the plants happy, in an organic way. Interestingly, I'm not necessarily big into organics for my groceries but I've heard so many praises about living soil grow and its results in taste, I wanted to have a good understanding and try to get it working within my setup.

So ultimately I've done what I always do when I need to learn something which is to dive into a group of experienced people about the subject matter. Currently I'm checking out the waters between growing related forums and I've been suggested mj passion as a friendly place (which is the upmost importance for me when trying to find a forum where I can call "home base")

Hoping to learn and participate, thanks for having me!

Thank you all for welcoming me, I appreciate it!

I don't have worms yet, I'm very new to living soil idea and still trying to get a grasp of it (currently living in an apartment, hoping to move to a house with more space to start my own compost by January), I wanted to mix Clackamas coot but got overwhelmed and worried about getting it right in a tight apartment space so I opted in for a ready mix living soil (dirtcraft was what was available locally). I'm hoping to learn more as my grow goes on and hoping to have enough knowledge by my second growth cycle to be able to understand what the soil needs and what/how to amend and make it ready for the next grow cycle.

Thanks again and happy to be here!

Welcome chamenon. Hope you find what you are looking to here. Stay away from me....I use chemical (nuclear) nutes! But, there is lots of help here.
Thank you! Interesting thing is that I don't pay too much attention to organic stuff at the grocery store. I guess the quality of my weed is more important than the quality of my food :D. I'm absolutely not an organics snob, in fact I was looking for hydrophonic options until my friend brought up "the best tasting buds and terpene profiles" claim for living soil grown, so I wanted to give it a try. The worst case scenario, I'll buy a bottle of maxibloom and turn it into a zombie soil if it doesn't work for me.

Just trying not to add more damage to my lungs after smoking so many weird tasting pre-legalization weed. I hope it's worth the effort!

Thank you! Interesting thing is that I don't pay too much attention to organic stuff at the grocery store. I guess the quality of my weed is more important than the quality of my food :D. I'm absolutely not an organics snob, in fact I was looking for hydrophonic options until my friend brought up "the best tasting buds and terpene profiles" claim for living soil grown, so I wanted to give it a try. The worst case scenario, I'll buy a bottle of maxibloom and turn it into a zombie soil if it doesn't work for me.

Just trying not to add more damage to my lungs after smoking so many weird tasting pre-legalization weed. I hope it's worth the effort!
it is and Im sure you know about builda-a-soil.
I grow organic and I use earthboxes.
Earthboxes really work well
I use craft blend and now starting with compost tea.
Just got a terraganix composter and puting all my leaves and budds that are small and using that said compost juice
watered down .

Hi, I'm joining the forum as I'm going through my first living soil grow. I'm particularly interested in learning more about living soil grow and understanding how to keep the plants happy, in an organic way. Interestingly, I'm not necessarily big into organics for my groceries but I've heard so many praises about living soil grow and its results in taste, I wanted to have a good understanding and try to get it working within my setup.

So ultimately I've done what I always do when I need to learn something which is to dive into a group of experienced people about the subject matter. Currently I'm checking out the waters between growing related forums and I've been suggested mj passion as a friendly place (which is the upmost importance for me when trying to find a forum where I can call "home base")

Hoping to learn and participate, thanks for having me!
Definitely a friendly place full of nice people I try to do a organic style grow but I’m just winging it😀

Definitely a friendly place full of nice people I try to do a organic style grow but I’m just winging it😀
Join our Podcast the second Monday of each month ..
We have and give detailed information about things we know about .
We also have and give information about things we know nothing about.
So far no recalls.
We have been lucky :)

I don't go full living soil or self compost. I use fox farms ocean forest mainly (some times happy frog) as my base and amend with Dr earth dry amendments, dolomite lime, worm castings and a decent amount of perlite because that soil likes to compact over time and drainage/aeration is key. Unless I have an odd issue that won't correct, I reuse the same soil - just reamend and water and it's good to go. The results of my half-assed organic grow get high praise. I topdress twice during a grow and that's it, otherwise it's just water when dry and train away - easy money.

I don't go full living soil or self compost. I use fox farms ocean forest mainly (some times happy frog) as my base and amend with Dr earth dry amendments, dolomite lime, worm castings and a decent amount of perlite because that soil likes to compact over time and drainage/aeration is key. Unless I have an odd issue that won't correct, I reuse the same soil - just reamend and water and it's good to go. The results of my half-assed organic grow get high praise. I topdress twice during a grow and that's it, otherwise it's just water when dry and train away - easy money.
I do the same except use Coast of Maine .
I am on my 4th run in my earthboxes.
I dry and cure the right way.
I as well as my constituents gets stone AF

I use fox farms ocean forest mainly (some times happy frog) as my base and amend with Dr earth dry amendments, dolomite lime, worm castings and a decent amount of perlite because that soil likes to compact over time and drainage/aeration is key.
That's something that's confusing me. I'm reading the ingredients of the Ocean Forest and it sounds like it is a living soil but most living soil people seem to frown upon it. I don't understand what's different, it says organic and it has pretty much similar ingredients to most of these "just add water" living soil mixes. If anyone is willing to point out any differences or reasons to avoid FFOF in a living soil setup I'd be happy to listen.
I do the same except use Coast of Maine .
I am on my 4th run in my earthboxes.
I dry and cure the right way.
I as well as my constituents gets stone AF
Do you use the stonington blend? That was one of the suggestions for living soil options but it was even pricier compared to the dirtcraft organics soil.
My next big worry is the water. I'm trying to understand if I can get away with just filtering the tap water with brita filters and leave it to aerate to remove the chlorine or if I really need to spend $120 on a chlorine removal filter. I checked the local water report, and asked about it to the local hydro shop, it's around 7.5+ pH, and water report (and past news articles) seem to suggests no chloramine but chlorine added.

Latest posts

Back