weird fluoro question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peaceful

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me, if you have a 4 bulb t5 fixture (4X54w) and leave two bulbs out, will the electricity usage also be cut in half? I am assuming that it is a sgl ballast fixture. Thanks

Single ballast and take out half the lamps?
Rrr. .rrrr. r..rrrrr... . ohms law ..... reactance of an inductor .... rrrr . rrrrrrrr . rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. That ballast is designed to present a reactance appropriate for four tubes in parallel. I am not sure, but I suspect you might blow the remaining two tubes or drastically reduce their lifetime.

Haha, well, I am actually using an 8 tube fixture. Currently running 6 tubes. My veg cab is only 2' high and the plants don't really need to grow faster. Plus there is the heat issue. I figured that if it saves energy, I would just leave 2 out. If not, or if it will hurt my other tubes I will put them back in. Or, um, actually just re-clock the tubes so the pins make contact.

That leads me to another Q for Cowboy, if running all 8, should I throw a couple 3000k tubes in there with 6X6500k? Or just go all 8X6500k? Short-n-bushy is the goal.

peaceful said:
Haha, well, I am actually using an 8 tube fixture. Currently running 6 tubes. My veg cab is only 2' high and the plants don't really need to grow faster. Plus there is the heat issue. I figured that if it saves energy, I would just leave 2 out. If not, or if it will hurt my other tubes I will put them back in. Or, um, actually just re-clock the tubes so the pins make contact.

That leads me to another Q for Cowboy, if running all 8, should I throw a couple 3000k tubes in there with 6X6500k? Or just go all 8X6500k? Short-n-bushy is the goal.

While vegging I use all 6500K unless I have some Lowryders going,,and then I use a couple 3000K.
While flowering I use four 3000K and two 6500K. My leafs seem to stay healthier longer during flowering with a mix.:hubba:

peaceful said:

I believe that if you used all your tubes, the plant would squat more. You really do want them to grow, just not vertically, right?

Yes sir I do. I was sort of being lazy. I replaced my t5 fixture from my flower room (6X3000k + 2X6500k) with a 600w HPS. Put it into my veg area and swapped in 4 more 6500k tubes. I left the 2 remaining 3000k tubes un connected, or clocked so the pins don't make contact. I have to drag my butt to the shop to get my other 2 6500k tubes to complete the 8X6500k setup. I will indeed do that today.

In terms of amperage used, the heat of the ballast is a money waster. The ballast temp won't change much with the elimination of the two tubes, so your savings won't really be exact-by-tube-count.

In a really large op, I could see this making a difference, but with one light, not much.

Get up off that wallet.... :p

PencilHead said:
Cowboy, you amaze and humble me with your floro tricks.

Thank You Sir,,,but I owe it to ALL to the PPL on this forum.;)

Latest posts

Back