What can be done?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Comfortablynumb

Reaction score
Hi guys,I came over from the grow chat forum after they shut the doors.

I germinated a Pink Grapefruit seed and after I saw the tap root I put it in the soil about an inch deep.It's been a week now since it's been in the soil and it still hasn't broke the surface.I used a jackknife to carefully move the soil away and I found the seed and the tap root was still attached,it's just like it decided not to grow.Is there anything I can do to save it or should I bid it a fond farewell?

The waiting game begins I guess.I bought a 5 seed pack,if I had bought a 10 pack I wouldn't be fussing so much about one seed.

First, unless the seed is very old and needs to be presoaked, I would plant directly into the medium. Next, do not plant that deep. I find that 1/2" is sufficient. If it is too deep it will not have enough energy to grow through the soil.

What soil exactly did you plant it in? Soil that has nutrients can kill seedlings. I always use a seedling mix for seeds. Also, it could be a moisture issue like Sweetman mentioned. You want the soil damp, but not wet. You also do not want to let it dry out. You do not need light until the seed pops through the dirt--strong light can dry the soil out too fast. Also make sure your temps are high enough without being too high--I like to germ around 78-80 degrees.

welcome to MP. you will like it here. I planted my first seeds this year they all came up. Planted mine in the soil. Not so deep.1/4 inch or so. I left about a third of the cup empty so when they stretched I had room to fill in more dirt. Mine needed it. good luck.
I would not give up on that one. I would put it out under some sun during the day if your starting under lights. I just started mine right outdoors in the spring. But you must be doing lights this time of the year.

Hello again and thanks for all your feedback.I've never tried putting the seed in the soil to start,I've always germinated first in a damp paper towel and then planted.In a year of growing I never had a problem with that method so I figured why change.But before I try another Pink Grapefruit seed I'll try planting one of my regular Ice Wreck seeds directly in the soil.BTW...I'm growing indoors and I'm using a 600 watt HPS for the light source.I'll check in again tonight after I get home from work.

Be sure your medium stays around the 75-80f temp range. too cold and the seedling will die. Too warm and the seedling will die. I have had the same thing happen before. They start and look like they will do fine then they just stop and die. It could be just bad seed, or it could be that a pathogen got into it and it died. I would give it another 4-5 days and if it doesn't break the soil then its done. Be sure to have very clean hands and tools when working with seeds and seedlings.

I forgot to mention that I'm growing in potting soil,it's a mixture of soil,peat moss and perlite. Before I left for work I was digging in the soil with my jack knife to see if there was a root going down.I must nudged the shell of the seed because the seedling leaned over to one side.I might've F'd it up good but we'll see.

Welcome Comfotablynumb. I love that song btw. Glad you found us. THG is right, it could be the medium you put it in.

I really like germinating in the soil.. Here is a great article:http://mandalaseeds.com/Guides/Germination-Guide

I've been a Pink Floyd fan since I was about 16,even after all these years I still listen to their music.Timeless is the word that best describes their music.

I've been a Pink Floyd fan since I was about 16,even after all these years I still listen to their music.Timeless is the word that best describes their music.
I can't describe their music. Any words I try to use pale in comparison to their work.

One of my favorites is the live at Pompeii video. If anyone wants it, i have the complete original 1972 version. Can email it or something. That directors cut was atrocious to say the least. If you like their music and have never watched it, you have missed out on a piece of music. How a human can create such music and emotion, I can't comprehend.

numb welcome to marijuana passion, good to have you here and hope you enjoy the site. it's a shame chat went down, but this is a site you can call home.

Im a big Floyd fan myself. I hate that I missed them the last time they came to my area. I knew it would be the only chance but was in basic training in the military at the time. My favorite is "wish you were here". Isn't it ironic that the most eccentric people seem to make the best artists? I think its because the mental issues that seem to separate them from "the norm" actually allow them to get in touch with those parts of the brain, soul, psyche that the rest of us are unable to reach.

You want to go to a good show that pretty mellow audience, Go see Jethro Tull. I saw them a few years ago with Kansas and it was an awesome show from both bands.

I was just thinking that these seeds I've been having trouble with are all from Herbie's head shop.I was looking at more strains from there and their prices are about half of what I paid for seeds from Crop King seeds.But maybe that's why the price difference,Herbie's seeds may be of lesser quality.I have a Pineapple Express seedling going right now (from Herbie's) and it's 2 weeks old and barely an inch tall.Plus I germinated a Nebula seed I got from them and planted it on Friday and it has yet to break the surface of the soil.So I'm not having very good luck trying to get a few extra plants going.

It sounds like they may be buying older seed stock from people at a steal deal and turning it around for half price of the fresh seeds. I only buy from Nirvana and The Single Seed Center, and I have had very few issues with seeds bought from those two.

I've had good success with most from nirvana. Did have some papaya that had a horrible germ rate. Could be my fault but I popped two other strains and had almost 100%. Papaya popped two out of eight.

Latest posts

Back