What could this be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audix2359

Reaction score
These seedlings are 5 days old. I have them in a mix of MG organic, perlite, vermiculite and peat moss and have been watering with distilled water. Ph is around 6.8.

I have them under 6500K CFL's at the moment. Temps have been running higher then I like but the highest I've seen has been around 86. I also have a lot of air moving and blowing on them. Could this be heat stress or windburn?

I have some plants in the same soil, using the same water but in a different tub that look normal and nice and green, so I don't think it's a soil/Ph problem.

Week 1 c.JPG

Week 1 d.JPG

Week 1 e.JPG

Week 1.JPG

Week 1 b.JPG

IMO its nute burn man that MG is way too hot for seedlings. flush out the soil with just water (aired out or spring) till the soil no longer drains yellow. let it dry and you should be :aok: in a couple of days.

Dubbaman said:
IMO its nute burn man that MG is way too hot for seedlings. flush out the soil with just water (aired out or spring) till the soil no longer drains yellow. let it dry and you should be :aok: in a couple of days.

But there's no nutes, just MG orgainc...no nutes in that stuff.

akirahz said:
too much heat, leafs drying and curling upwards

Thanks; I think that's it, although I was hoping it was something else as the only way to correct the problem is to unplug some of the lights. Although I don't think 86 is too high I probably had the thermostat in the wrong spot and it was hotter then that.

audix2359 said:
But there's no nutes, just MG orgainc...no nutes in that stuff.
might want to check to be sure if its MG it usually does have a boosted nute complex to it at the start organic or not ive seen lots on here say thats what they use and have similar issues. could just be a weak strain too. but id say a hot packet of air nutes first even if its an organic soil its an MG product and thats why they get big results is the boost in nutes in their products

I have used both mg and organic and experienced nute burn with seedlings but I didn't throughly flush it beforehand, which I hear is the trick. My last grow I threw in a few bags seeds and they loved it, prolly just used to high nut commercial growing lol. My master kush didn't like it at all and showed signs of nute burnt leaf edges. imo some strains are just more sensitive then

Thanks for the responses. I hadn't really considered nute burn because the bag says that there are no added nutes and I used such a small portion of it in my mix, maybe 20% MG Organic.

I lowered the heat by removing a few bulbs so I'll see if that helps. At the next watering I'll flush the soil to see if that helps at all.

when your flushing be sure to keep watching the drainage, when its comes out clear your :aok: but if its any bit yellow (pee color) keep flushing. then let it dry out and :watchplant:

I agree, it looks like too much heat to me. What kind of ventilation are you using? try putting a small fan on them, cools them down and makes the stalks stronger too.

KaptainKronic said:
I agree, it looks like too much heat to me. What kind of ventilation are you using? try putting a small fan on them, cools them down and makes the stalks stronger too.

That's the funny thing, I've got exhaust out the you know what. It's a 45 gallon rubbermaid bin and I've got a 4" 80 CFM fan as well as an 8" turbo fan from Target I rigged up to fit a 4" dryer duct. I have no idea of the CFM but it slurps a ton more air than the 4", 80 CFM fan. I have 1 8" Target fan blowing air into the tub. I also have a small fan, probably 4-6", blowing on the plants and lights. The temps outside the box are typically around 72-75.

Before, I had only 6, 26 watt CFL's in there. With all of that ventilation, etc. I have no idea why I cannot keep the temps down. I'm thinking I might need some additional fresh air intake of the passive sort so I'll probably work that in tonight and see what it does.

Dubbaman said:
when your flushing be sure to keep watching the drainage, when its comes out clear your :aok: but if its any bit yellow (pee color) keep flushing. then let it dry out and :watchplant:

When I water, I always let a little run out of the bottom. It's usually a brownish sort of color - never clear and never yellowish. I have some mushroom compost mixed in and I've always supposed the color came from that.

this same thing happened to me man, i think it may have been the heat because when we started it was constantly about 86 degrees. let me know if you figure out what the deal is. thanks.

Well, I reconfigured one of the fans so it will pump more air out of the tub. That got the temps down to 77. I don't think my little plants will need water for another week so I should be able to tell by then if it was a heat issue.

Whats up audix!
Poor lil babies... you think a dome would help.. to keep them moist?

Latest posts

Back