What do you think is going on?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sMACkaddict

Señor Member
Reaction score
So I have 3 plants in containers outside. They were vegged indoors under a 400w hps for 46 days before being transplanted to 5gal plastic pots and put outside about 4 weeks ago. *Due to being close to the equator I am able to flower plants outside all year round.*

I use two different Fox Farm Happy Frog ferts at the moment, tomato and vegetable(7-4-5), and, fruit and flower(5-8-4). They are organic and powered and I think they used to be called Peace of Mind.*

I had recently fed them some tomato and vegetable before I put them outside so I didnt give them any flowering-specific fert to avoid an overdose.
*I fed them 1/2 cup(8 Tbsp) each of the fruit and flower just under 2 weeks ago.*

Also, the past week and a half has been unusually cold and windy. High 60s during the day and low 50s at night.*

The first plant is affected mainly on the bottom but there are some young leaves on buds with similarly burned margins, but usually on one side only.*
plant1.jpgplant1close.jpg

The middle plant is the least effected and it doesnt look like theres a pattern to which leaves are being effected.*

plant2close.jpg

The 3rd plant is next to a wall and is the most effected. *90% of all the growth effected is on tge bottom 1/3 of the plant but it is spread pretty evenly amongst old and young leaves.*

plant3.jpgplant3close.jpgplant3close2.jpg

I thought it might have been a P or K def that showed itself just as I fed them and was going to go away but it hasnt seemed to advance too much but hasnt clearly stopped.*
Now, after writing this, I am leaning more towards thinking its due to the cold weather and wind, but it couod also be Mg.....

What do you guys think?

sMACk

im not sure about the first plant it looks a little different from the other two but the second and third one look like nute burn to me.

ive always had problems when i go by the fox farm feeding schedule it says to use 8 tbsp but it always burns my plants so i always cut it in half

i think your temps are alright my growroom gets down to 52 at night when the lights are off and i haven't had any problems, it could be wind burn but i would think that you would see it on all of the plant

That had crossed my mind DarkHorse, but I ruled it out becusde i
i have the same 3 strains vegging in the closet and they are a little bit bigger and I gave thrm 10 Tbsp of the tomato and vegetable around the same time.
The plants are kinda effected all over, Not evenly, but it is showingup all over.
I didnt mention these plants are in a patio that has walls on 3 sides and i have a sheet hangin, about waist high, spanming 2/3 of the open side tp block thhe plants from sight. So maybe the wind is being channeled into the area or something...
Nute burn does seem pretty plausible because the tips pf mos pf the leaves are sindged a little... Sorry about spelling, suck at typing on my phone

sMACk

Turnen and burned,,thats what I see. I like a little turn and burn,,but thats a little to much nutes.

I could be wrong but I see what looks like either P or K deficiency. I noticed that the plants are just getting going on bud building, and that is when they really need the Phospherous boost. Your nutes are 12-12-9 together. You need to keep that for veg food and get a different flowering food that has higher P&K and lower N.

If you are running organic, then you may not have a real good microbe herd. That seems to be a problem that gets a lot of people who try to go organic without really understanding it, and what happens is the microbe herds are either too small or haven't had enough time to get the nutrients up enough to keep up with the plants' needs. If you have access to getting stuff quickly then I would recommend getting some microbe enhanced tea and/or some Bloom enhanced organic nutes. I used Iguana Juice Bloom on my last organic plant and it worked very well.

If you have a garden store of any kind and can't get the stuff above, see if the garden store carries Espoma's Garden Tone. It has loads of good organic nutes and lots of microbes as well.

I would also recommend that if you want to continue to grow organic, then get some ZHO or other root innoculant and some Mychorrizae and put both into a larger mix of soil and sort of brew it up for a month or more with some ammendments like bone meal and dolomite lime before adding it to your pots for the next set of plants :)

I hope this helps. Green mojo for the girls :)

Hushpuppy said:
I could be wrong but I see what looks like either P or K deficiency. I noticed that the plants are just getting going on bud building, and that is when they really need the Phospherous boost. Your nutes are 12-12-9 together. You need to keep that for veg food and get a different flowering food that has higher P&K and lower N.

If you are running organic, then you may not have a real good microbe herd. That seems to be a problem that gets a lot of people who try to go organic without really understanding it, and what happens is the microbe herds are either too small or haven't had enough time to get the nutrients up enough to keep up with the plants' needs. If you have access to getting stuff quickly then I would recommend getting some microbe enhanced tea and/or some Bloom enhanced organic nutes. I used Iguana Juice Bloom on my last organic plant and it worked very well.

If you have a garden store of any kind and can't get the stuff above, see if the garden store carries Espoma's Garden Tone. It has loads of good organic nutes and lots of microbes as well.

I would also recommend that if you want to continue to grow organic, then get some ZHO or other root innoculant and some Mychorrizae and put both into a larger mix of soil and sort of brew it up for a month or more with some ammendments like bone meal and dolomite lime before adding it to your pots for the next set of plants :)

I hope this helps. Green mojo for the girls :)

So, eschewing the microbe stuff for right now, should I give them a fert with a higher P? I have a seabird guano thats like 1-10-0 or a fish bone meal thats 3-16-0... I do not have access to much but I will be going to the states in feb and picking up some more goodies then.

sMACk

You need both P and K as it looks like one or both are in short supply. I would start with the sea bird guano as you don't need any more N since your last feeding. Do you have anything that will supply more potassium as that is quite short as well. Kelp meal and wood ashes are both good sources of potassium. If you don't have access to anything else then you can burn some hardwoods(no leaves or other stuff) to get a good pile of ash to add to the soil as it is faster absorbing than unchelated kelp meal.

I would suggest that being in a place where it is difficult to get nutrients, it would serve you to read up on making your own "super soil" there so that you don't have to be dependant on nutrients from the states. I don't know how difficult it is to take back larger quantities of nutes with you. It may be easier to take back raw materials like the bone meal, green sand, guanos, lime, and other ammendments to build your soil using some local soil and recycled organic waste.

sMACkaddict said:
So, eschewing the microbe stuff for right now, should I give them a fert with a higher P? I have a seabird guano thats like 1-10-0 or a fish bone meal thats 3-16-0... I do not have access to much but I will be going to the states in feb and picking up some more goodies then.

sMACk

One of the things you will want to research is how long it takes these to break down. Some of these organic nutes are really slow to break down--which is why an organic super soil will feed a plant all the way through.

Thanks Hemp and Hushpuppy!

I am very interested in making some super soil. I am currenty trying to formulate a recipe with the new batch of ferts I have.
I have a thread in the organics section if the two of you wouldnt mind stopping by there and giving me your opinions on what I got so far that would be grrrrreat.

Thanks for your help

sMACk

Heres the link for that thread:

http://marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63474

So I'm gonna make some aerated tea with the 1-10-0 seabord guano. It says 1-2 Tbsp/gallon, how much should I use?

Also, I will be adding blackstrap molasses at 1 Tbsp/gal, please correct if that amount is wrong.

I also have a free sample of some liquid black kelp for potassium that I will be incorporating in some way.

Thanks
sMACk

mine used to look like that i needed cal/mam it stoped the tips and edges from yellowing and they got healther

Hmmm, well what do you guys think i should do? I got all the diagnoses I was considering: P amd/or K def, mg def, and nite burn. Since its not clearly one issue I going to have to agree that there is a microbr issue in my soil. I want toake an innoculant tea in that case. I hae some Gh Rare Earth which is silicate an leonardite. Those are humic acids I believe... Or at least leonardote is. I also have a liquid humic acid product.

What should I brew up? Need to know asap so i can get it goong so its ready to water with tomorrow.

Thanks
sMACk

I would put a little bit of all of it in a 5gallon bucket of water and stir then aerate for 24hrs. And if you have any type of microbes that you could add to it like Mychorrizae that would be very helpful to get it going. All of those things in a tea with microbes for 24hrs or until the soil is dry enough to be watered. You can use some of the water (stirred well) to add to the plants but save part of it to add more water to the bucket and let brew longer. You can use that about 3 times before having to make up a new bucket of tea.

With my organic plant, I never just watered with plain water. I always used my nutrient tea, and the plant loved it. :)

Should I be adding blackstrap periodically to feed the microbes if I brew for longer than 24hrs?(read that somewhere)

Thanks Hush

sMACk

I just noticed that the very tips ofthe developing colas have turned purple, very small spot of purple at the tip of each.

Cold weather induced P def?

The strain is WW.

sMACk

I would definitely use the molasses in organic tea to feed the microbes and help them flourish early on.

The purple spots on the buds, Im not too sure about that. If it gets worse post a pic so we can see what's happening.

Latest posts

Back