What is LEO going to find with his IR camera?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol,potus i too once was taking some seeds from some habeneros and then went to the bathroom.i imagine you can figure out the rest of the story.there was a blister for several days.never again.

parkingjoe said:
well dibble wont need thermal imaging for my grow as its snowed and i noticed my roof has some serious issues regarding insulation aka no snow on most of my roof unlike the others

lol

pkj

I just read somewhere that they were pinging growers in colder areas by spotting the lack of frost on the roof...

andy52 said:
lol,potus i too once was taking some seeds from some habeneros and then went to the bathroom.i imagine you can figure out the rest of the story.there was a blister for several days.never again.
Please, don't remind me.... :shocked:

Hey everbodeh! I work at an organic grocery and we of course carry peppers of various kinds but we can only go as hot as Habeneros for the publics safety, little kids grab junk off the shelves and UH OH!!:eek: (it DOES happen) One of our restock guys grabbed a Habenero and before we could stop him popped the WHOLE THING into his mouth!:shocked: :shocked: He became ill almost immediatley and unfortunetly decided to vomit it back up. Bad bad bad idea. You can guess what it must have felt like the second time around. :eek: Little peppers bite SOOOOO hard!!:p

Potus,

What you are doing, was recently done by someone else. Barry Cooper set up the same senario. He knew that some local cops were not playing fair and set them up with a MH and some christmas trees and had a live webcam to catch all the action. Litigation is pending....you got a webcam?

umbra said:
Potus,

What you are doing, was recently done by someone else. Barry Cooper set up the same senario. He knew that some local cops were not playing fair and set them up with a MH and some christmas trees and had a live webcam to catch all the action. Litigation is pending....you got a webcam?
Ha! That's pretty funny man. No, I don't need the cam. No one bothers me. I'm just another skinny, wrinkled old guy that no cop would ever look at twice.

hey Potus, good stuff man.:eek::)...
i string my peppers up on thread, through the stems only, or they'll rot. then tie 'em in a loop, and hang 'em in windows to dry to a crisp. then we grind 'em up and put 'em in a stinky cheese shaker.:cool::D.

i was eating some habaneros one night, and i guess had some of the juice in my mustache. me and the lil lady went to bed , and was cuddlin' close, you know, when she jumps up and runs to the bathroom, screaming like a banshee. i followed, not realizin' what had happened. ( this your gonna like).
she was lay'in in the tub on her back, with her legs up the wall under the spigot, and the cold water runnin' full open. ouucchhhh. that had ta burn.:eek:...bb...

mendo local said:
You guys that worry abour IR, are watching to much tv.
I guess the people who make and sell the equipment are just making it up too?

"Structure profiles. One of the earliest uses of infrared imaging in law enforcement involved structure profiles during indoor marijuana cultivation investigations. Indoor growing operations require the use of high intensity growing lamps which produce large amounts of heat. This heat must be exhausted through the building’s structure to maintain an acceptable air temperature for the marijuana plants to grow. The exhausted heat will manifest itself in several ways: through exhaust vents, attic vents and exterior walls. Infrared imagers see this abnormal excess heat and provide an additional element of probable cause.

Or maybe these guys are making it up: IR used to bust grow op

"Video: Police release tape of flyover of Hamburg Township home where marijuana grow operation found

May 19, 2008 14:47PM

The Oakland County Sheriff's Department released video footage of a helicopter flyover of a home in Hamburg Township. Authorities said they discovered a marijuana grow operation in the home.

The video shows the helicopter's infared zeroing in on vents in the home."

Or maybe this is just something they made up:

"Oakland deputies use heat-seeking chopper equipment to bust pot operation
Detroit News Online - May 16, 2008

What police described as a father and son marijuana grow operation was busted Friday with the help of a 2 ½ month investigation and a helicopter equipped with an infrared camera...

My point being that yes, the cops DO use IR. If they do use it on me, I hope it's while I have a hot pepper crop going. If that's the case, then they won't have crap, regardless of what else they find after busting in my place.

Kyllo v. US
CERTIORARI TO THE UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE NINTH CIRCUIT
[Decided June 11, 2001]

In a 5-4 ruling on June 11, 2001, the US Supreme Court ruled that the use of thermal imaging (infrared) scanners to look at homes for evidence of crimes is unconstitutional without a warrant.

Quit scaring folks POTUS.

If LEO is on you, you screwed up and that led them to investigate you. Period. LEO is not flyin' around with IR scanning houses.

Now, I will concede that there are plenty of Shady LEO's that will do anything for a bust, but all in all, IR is simply not a major tool of LEO to bust grow ops. I am sure in some smaller towns, LEO gets away with alot. That is why it is important to know your rights and know them well.

NorCalHal said:
Kyllo v. US
CERTIORARI TO THE UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE NINTH CIRCUIT
[Decided June 11, 2001]

In a 5-4 ruling on June 11, 2001, the US Supreme Court ruled that the use of thermal imaging (infrared) scanners to look at homes for evidence of crimes is unconstitutional without a warrant.

Quit scaring folks POTUS.

If LEO is on you, you screwed up and that led them to investigate you. Period. LEO is not flyin' around with IR scanning houses.

Now, I will concede that there are plenty of Shady LEO's that will do anything for a bust, but all in all, IR is simply not a major tool of LEO to bust grow ops. I am sure in some smaller towns, LEO gets away with alot. That is why it is important to know your rights and know them well.
I don't think you understand how LEO works, man. First they find the place to watch by using the IR. Then they watch it. Set up on it and watch the obvious ones. Then they use THAT information to get their warrant for the IR they're going to bust you with, if they even need it at that point. The IR won't even be mentioned in most cases. The IR systems don't have a counter on them. No one knows when the cops are using it if they say they didn't. They can fly around all day with it on as long as they GET A WARRENT for the time they use it to bust you.

Dude, no cops play fair. They want to bust anyone they can, any way they can. They lie, they cheat. They think we're all low-lifes that are one bust away from their next promotion into pig fame.

The secret is two fold:

1. Don't be obvious.

2. Don't sell.

If you grow for nothing but your own stash, the cops won't ever be interested in you unless you rub it in their faces.

I just showed you some examples of the cops using IR to bust folks. By saying it doesn't hardly happen, you're ignoring the evidence that contradicts your statement. It happens every day, somewhere.

If you sell weed, sooner or later you'll see a cop over it.

Grow your own. Get out of the street sales crap. Both sides of it.

I can set up a fake dresser grow with a built-in carbon scrubber that will grow a quarter pound of weed. You don't need a room. You don't need outside ventilation. You don't need fancy.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, man. I'm trying to tell them all to not be obvious. Not to be greedy. Not to try being Al Capone.

Growing your own stash is simple and if done right, will keep you in weed forever.

Peace Brother!

We're on the same side...

POTUS said:
Dude, no cops play fair. They want to bust anyone they can, any way they can. They lie, they cheat. They think we're all low-lifes that are one bust away from their next promotion into pig fame.

The secret is two fold:

1. Don't be obvious.

2. Don't sell.

Depends. In some cases the law may just be in your side. {Senate Bill 420} [CA Health and safety Code 1162.3][Measures K and JJ]

POTUS said:
If you grow for nothing but your own stash, the cops won't ever be interested in you unless you rub it in their faces.

True.

POTUS said:
I just showed you some examples of the cops using IR to bust folks. By saying it doesn't hardly happen, you're ignoring the evidence that contradicts your statement. It happens every day, somewhere.

If you sell weed, sooner or later you'll see a cop over it.

Grow your own. Get out of the street sales crap. Both sides of it.

I can set up a fake dresser grow with a built-in carbon scrubber that will grow a quarter pound of weed. You don't need a room. You don't need outside ventilation. You don't need fancy.

Want never usually equals need.

But..

What if you want to start crossing your own medical strains? Breeding? Keeping Mothers?
I HATE working in cramped spaces. I also HATE carrying buckets of water..
you need room(s) for this usually. I want to go all out. Breeding my own signature strains. That ACTUALLY WORK MEDICALLY.

This is important to me.

Plus there is a HUGE demand for dried cannabis flowers to people. People who use it not so much to get high, but more to LIVE. I like those people. I like giving them what they need to help them at a fair compensation.

If we lived in a resource based economy, or worked on the barter system I could pay rent and bills by trading. Unfortuinately, I have to play the govenrment's game and use meaningless paper instead.

POTUS said:
Peace Brother!

We're on the same side...
For some of us...the LAW is too...

No guilt here brother, no dime bags (in baggies) to teen's either.

Really, cops for the most part want nothing to do with patients, as we are legal hot potatoes, and not much of law enforcement budget is set aside for lawsuits, which usually follow a medical bust.

If you are not a patient, and live in an area that does not recigignize the benifiets of medical marijuana, and are growing for profit...

..you are on your own. Sorry, but good luck to you brother or sister.

Insulate your room and vent into the drains or sewer pipes.

Right on POTUS, we are on the same side.
I was hoping you didn't take offence to my remark, as I have mucho respect for you man!

Believe me when I say, I understand how LEO works.
But, as Effen said, we are almost in two different worlds.

I can see how some states are going to fight it tooth and nail and use ANY resource they can to bring down "the dopers". It is crazy, but it is true.
BUT, alot of podunk LEO don't really even understand the law, and if YOU do, you will have a leg up.

Anyway, IR busts in cali are virtually zero. I remember about 10 years ago or so when FLIR became popular with LEO here. They actually raided too many houses with Tanning Beds (alot of Cali folks are vain!) and lawsuits forced them to stop.

My hope is what we have here will spread to the other states man. Peace of mind is priceless.

parkingjoe said:
well dibble wont need thermal imaging for my grow as its snowed and i noticed my roof has some serious issues regarding insulation aka no snow on most of my roof unlike the others

lol

pkj

People have been getting busted this way.

All i know is that that if your that concerned about IR scans then you should line your grow with plain old glass it reflects IR beams with out picking up the heat ;) At least that's how i've seen the IR motion sensors beaten that can be installed as home security devices.

hxxp://www.chez-williams.com/Hot%20Sauce/hothome.htm

Maybe I'll order a bottle for the Pre-4:20 BB-Q.

Clear the sinus right up.

i like peppers too, but nothing quite so hot! even habaneros are too hot for me really, but i grow the tobasco peppers and they are just right for me, hearty too outside. i like to take my peppers and cook them on low in the oven (175° for mine anyway) until they dry out, then I cut them into tiny pieces and store in glass jars. i learned the hard way about how sticky that oil is too. after processing a few ounces of dried peppers I washed my hands, then again and again because i could still taste it on my hands! a couple hours later i forgot all about it, rubbed my eye and whew there was still plenty of burn left on my fingers!

back to the IR, does anyone have any kinda real technical data on how well these things penetrate various materials? i'd like to get a real good understanding for my own protection. before i grew, i had several large reef tanks with plenty of metal halides. i never worried about my electric bill or heat signature because of it but now with a medical grow i'm a little more paranoid. nobody ever came knocking. i'd love to see some test results with an IR camera showing different materials and how they mask the signature, and different exhaust methods and what they would look like - and also what normal houses look like. i would think you would have normal heat leaks from roof vents and such, and probably could just vent to the attic, just make sure it doesn't smell so have a good scrubber and inline ozone generator on the exhaust. anyway, i'd love to know if any of you have any experience and tips on how to keep a small grow room concealed. not talking 10 x 1000w or anything, but less than 1000w small grows. do you even need to worry about it with 'low' wattages like 400/600?

I know first hand that for a few hundred dollars you can rent your very own IR camera. With the investment many of us have in our rooms, if we are really that concerned, find out for yourself.

We rented ours for finding shorts in an electrical system. Dialed in they can pick up the difference of a few degrees clear as day. The camera was on the cheaper end of them and it seemed pretty movie like to me.

My humble opinion... if IR is your biggest concern, adjust the temp of the air coming out of the vent. Hypothetically you could run 50 extra feet of vent line through your attic (obviously you would need a few extra fans as well) but your air would cool to a cooler temperature before exiting. The cop in the video mentions the difference in temp from that vent vs the rest. You could also have two inlets with one outlet, one runs through the lights and the room, the other bypasses all of that and just mixes with the room's exhaust to cool the final product.

I personally am less concerned with a random IR camera pass then a snitch who smelled too much. People are our gardens biggest enemy. I think a postal worker, gas or electric meeter reader is a bigger danger than IR choppers.

Another way to avoid detection like in the video is to vent through something that should have heat escaping from it. Ask yourself "will the cop who randomly scans my house be suspicious of heat coming from my chimney?" For the sake of my continued rectal virginity, I hope not.

Be safe and protect yourself from our real enemy, people, and whatever means they can use to find us.

Latest posts

Back