What is LEO going to find with his IR camera?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O.K., so I wil be using one of those portable grow cabinets, (homebox XL..4.5' x 4.5' x 6.5') in my one car garage, (10' x 20') and have no choice but to vent into the garage's attic..., would it be best to use the extra "50 feet of ducting" as you suggested from the source< (((btw, it's a 7' duct run from the source to attic and I will be using a 440cfm exhaust fan with a carbon filter and a separate in-line fan, 265cfm to cool/vent the heat from the light, a 1000hps....and a 7000btu portable a/c unit as to it will get hot as hell in there during the spring/summer months approching... http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs/prod/30128181/i/1/productInfo.web#navPanel , 2 six inch ducts exiting grow cabinet connected to a Y connector for 1 ducting run to attic<just easier..))) with 2 additional in-line booster fans to cool the air in the over-all duct run, so by the time the air escapes into the attic the air will be cooler with no heat sig??? (i'm confused with all this....) should I insulate with more fiberglass in the attic and/or do I also use a product called thermal-sheild to use in my grow cabinet as well as interior side of garage door?< (it claims to block FLIR..here's the link...http://www.hydrowholesale.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=hydro&Category_Code=TS ) ANY HELP IN ALL OF THIS WILL BE GREAT!!SORRY FOR THE LONG DRAWN OUT ESSAY...:confused: :D :hubba: :rolleyes: :holysheep:

TentFarmer said:
I know first hand that for a few hundred dollars you can rent your very own IR camera. With the investment many of us have in our rooms, if we are really that concerned, find out for yourself.

We rented ours for finding shorts in an electrical system. Dialed in they can pick up the difference of a few degrees clear as day. The camera was on the cheaper end of them and it seemed pretty movie like to me.

My humble opinion... if IR is your biggest concern, adjust the temp of the air coming out of the vent. Hypothetically you could run 50 extra feet of vent line through your attic (obviously you would need a few extra fans as well) but your air would cool to a cooler temperature before exiting. The cop in the video mentions the difference in temp from that vent vs the rest. You could also have two inlets with one outlet, one runs through the lights and the room, the other bypasses all of that and just mixes with the room's exhaust to cool the final product.

I personally am less concerned with a random IR camera pass then a snitch who smelled too much. People are our gardens biggest enemy. I think a postal worker, gas or electric meeter reader is a bigger danger than IR choppers.

Another way to avoid detection like in the video is to vent through something that should have heat escaping from it. Ask yourself "will the cop who randomly scans my house be suspicious of heat coming from my chimney?" For the sake of my continued rectal virginity, I hope not.

Be safe and protect yourself from our real enemy, people, and whatever means they can use to find us.

I would be far more concerned with smell then heat. If your running one light it really shouldn't be too bad. If you're going to put 4 1000watt hps in your garage, then might be time to rethink.

If you have lights on during the day, you will fight the daytime heat, but the same heat will work to your favor in difficulty of using an IR camera. If you have lights on at night, your a/c and vents wont have to run as often but you take the heightened risk of IR.

I would start simple (and cautious) and add to your system as you feel best fit. You can always buy more stuff to help but once you own it, its yours.

I run the same tent with a 600watt hps and feel very confident that my system would be tough to find. Now until l I'm full force flowering I wont be able to know how well my filtration system is working but I know how to incrementally improve it. Feel free to PM if you would like.

I was lost in everything you posted but I would have a dedicated line to cooling your lights. Then a exahst system that is setup to run at a predetermined temp. If you have you system closed up enough (and the tent allows it) you can also run co2 for increased yield and the benefit of temps as high as 90.

Good luck and happy growing.

TentFarmer said:
I would be far more concerned with smell then heat. Good luck and happy growing.
Dude! You nailed it! Like a Hamma

thanks for the advice...but u may need to read my earlier post again...i know it's long and drawn out, but i did cover the smell issue...I will be using a 440cfm exhaust fan with a carbon filter..as well as have a separate 265cfm fan for the light...But u did answer my main qustion as to wether [1] 1000hps will not be too much for the FLIR's to pick up on...and i will be getting Co2 system after I harvest this crop to compare..:cool: (main reason I'm asking about the 1000hps [besides detection] is because i will be growing 24 plants, (auto's) and may need all the lumens i can get) do u think i can use a 600 to properly grow with that many instead??:confused:

TentFarmer said:
I would be far more concerned with smell then heat. If your running one light it really shouldn't be too bad. If you're going to put 4 1000watt hps in your garage, then might be time to rethink.

If you have lights on during the day, you will fight the daytime heat, but the same heat will work to your favor in difficulty of using an IR camera. If you have lights on at night, your a/c and vents wont have to run as often but you take the heightened risk of IR.

I would start simple (and cautious) and add to your system as you feel best fit. You can always buy more stuff to help but once you own it, its yours.

I run the same tent with a 600watt hps and feel very confident that my system would be tough to find. Now until l I'm full force flowering I wont be able to know how well my filtration system is working but I know how to incrementally improve it. Feel free to PM if you would like.

I was lost in everything you posted but I would have a dedicated line to cooling your lights. Then a exahst system that is setup to run at a predetermined temp. If you have you system closed up enough (and the tent allows it) you can also run co2 for increased yield and the benefit of temps as high as 90.

Good luck and happy growing.

I don't know how I could handle any more heat in my tent then what the 600 already provides. I have a dedicated 4" inline fan (that cranks the air through) and it still gets pretty toasty without my a/c.

In my experience, a carbon scrubber works best when it can recycle the air multiple times. I have one in my tent with a inline hooked up to it that just filters the air and dumps it back in the tent. When I had the filter in the tent, sucking the air through the filter, through the light and out the tent, the air being dumped outside the tent was not nearly clean enough for me.

I would have one filter, filter the air 100% of lights on time and a separate filter/fan for dumping the rooms air out when it gets too hot. I would also consider getting a smaller fan (or hooking it to a dimmer) as your fan will completly exchange the air in you area in 30 seconds. Whoops, had your fans mixed up, your fan will clear the air in 20 seconds. 3 times a minute. Not a bad thing, but overkill if running constantly (at least in my opinion).

Since you are already planning on using the a/c, take a look at my "double bubble" and see if that would work for you. My a/c provides all the vent I need and it doesn't have to run that hard (although mine is in a basement and its friggin cold right now). I'll definitely be interested in seeing your setup.

O.K., I just read up on the double bubble....very impressive!!!:hubba: I see what you saying about the smell issue thing..let me make sure i got it right....what you are saying is instead of exhausting air out of the tent via ducting/fan,(440cfm)/filter, recirculate that air inside of tent, (with no ducting to outside) to contain smell and then use a separate fan to cool/vent the light,(hps) heat out of the tent<(was gonna do that with my 265cfm in-line fan already) and for added peace of mind, get another fan, (small one) with an additional filter for outside the tent? both with speed controllers? did I nail it?:confused: :hubba: :D..........Oh, remember what you were saying about the "50 feet of additional ducting to cool the air in side the ducting from lights"??....If i'm gonna go with the 600hps instead of the 1000hps then will i need to do that still? if so, how many in-line booster fans would i need u think to get a very low or no heat sig by the time that air is exitited from duct run going into attic? (better safe than sorry, **** FLIR!):cool:
BTW, I WILL BE USING TWO 6" AIR CIRCULATING FANS AND A PORTABLE A/C, (160CFM, 7000BTU) AS MY AIR-INTAKE, PROBABLY MOST OF THE TIME AS TO THAT I LIVE IN FLA WITH NO BASEMENTS AND IT IS ALWAYS HOT & HUMID HERE...BUT NOT RIGHT NOW! IT WILL BE 40* DEGREES TONIGHT!

TentFarmer said:
I don't know how I could handle any more heat in my tent then what the 600 already provides. I have a dedicated 4" inline fan (that cranks the air through) and it still gets pretty toasty without my a/c.

In my experience, a carbon scrubber works best when it can recycle the air multiple times. I have one in my tent with a inline hooked up to it that just filters the air and dumps it back in the tent. When I had the filter in the tent, sucking the air through the filter, through the light and out the tent, the air being dumped outside the tent was not nearly clean enough for me.

I would have one filter, filter the air 100% of lights on time and a separate filter/fan for dumping the rooms air out when it gets too hot. I would also consider getting a smaller fan (or hooking it to a dimmer) as your fan will completly exchange the air in you area in 30 seconds. Whoops, had your fans mixed up, your fan will clear the air in 20 seconds. 3 times a minute. Not a bad thing, but overkill if running constantly (at least in my opinion).

Since you are already planning on using the a/c, take a look at my "double bubble" and see if that would work for you. My a/c provides all the vent I need and it doesn't have to run that hard (although mine is in a basement and its friggin cold right now). I'll definitely be interested in seeing your setup.

Id be more concerned with anybody else locally who knew I had a grow.Right now it's nobody.

Helicopters costs thousands of dollars per hour to operate.

Habanero?

Gb

I agree with Geezer. I can only contest as to what has worked for me. I don't run tons of hosing, I was just making an off the wall sugestion as to one way to deal with the heat. If you vent out of something that is supposed to be hot, then you shouldn't have much to worry about. The only exception to this in my opinion is if you had a wind tunnel flying out of what would normally be a low flow vent.

If I were you, I would have lights on during the day (since it would already be hot) and vent similar to my setup (or would that be if I were me). Don't worry so much about flir. Venting durring the day will be much tougher to pick up as the roof will already be hot. Likely much warmer then what your vent will be. The videos of FLIR that I've seen were used at night.

Also note that the pilot in the video mentions a tip. Too expensive for random flybys. Kill the smell and tell no one, and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Plenty of long time growers on this site that put no concern into IR cameras.

I've learned you can spend a fortune worrying about the what if's. Get your plants healthy and your smell contained and expand from there. Even if random IR gets you, they still need more evidence before a judge will grant a warrant. I truly think smell and first hand knowledge of the grow are key to getting busted.

Latest posts

Back