What to do about rising electric cost?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kilowatt2008

Robbin Hoood
Reaction score
I have done almost everything....
I am asking anyone?
who knows anything about saving or reducing my power bill.
So i may still afford to keep on going?
I saw a product has anyone heard or used this devise on h20gardening.com
rpu190? if so let me know what you think??

Please help or I might have to shut everything off just to afford my month bill.

I searched h2ogardening.com for that product and did not find the product.

If your in serious need... Find an electrian whose your buddy as well... talk to him about capacitors. They hold a charge for your bulb strike so they don't suck all kinds of juice from your line causing the spike. They slowly feed and hold a charge. Turning a bulb on consumes the most power. this is really affective is you have the means... Good luck

When you say everything do you mean everything? I have a 1000w digital system, Vortex fan, fan inside the tent (both fans 24/7), a little space heater (on low 24/7) and my bill only went up $20, I changed every single light bulb in my house with mini CFL's and saved like a extra $7.00, so basically I am paying $13.00 xtra, I am guessing your KWH charge is more then mine tho...

IMO the only way to grow for free is outdoors, but evenstill there is a cost, as we all know the reward always outways the cost... :hubba:

I use the heat from the light to heat my bedroom in the winter, thereby saving on my heating cost. However, the way I look at is that, no matter how expensive electricity gets, it is not going to ever cost more to grow it than it does to buy it.

All good advice, though I think yumyum gave you the best advice- look at the other items in your home that consume electricity and how you can reduce those costs- cfl's in light fixtures, turn off and unplug items you're not using, how cold is your refrigerator- turn it up a bit, etc.
Unless you've got a massive grow set-up, making these adjustments will offset your increased costs.
And like HG said- it sure alot cheaper than going out and buying it!

Well, you need to cut ALL corners, but unless you are running 4000 watts you dont need to really worry.

We converted every single light bulb to CFL, they run 14 watts instead of the standard 60 watt light bulbs, so we shaved off about 200 watts in my house that way.

Also, when your TV and computer are off, shut off the power strip 100% so it isnt sucking up juice. We also never run the heater or any other electric appliances unless absolutely neccesary.

The only thing i indulge in is my flatscreen and xbox, which runs about 1000 watts, but i try to keep that down to a 2 hours a day between me and the roomate.

Well, like Country Cowfreak says, man, you go big.
He suggests relocating in survivor mode in some deserted and hurricane-bashed part of the SE, establishing an air strip, getting in touch with Mr Chavez, who will recognise you as an independent country and open an embassy, and it will be simple to export the product in the diplomatic bag.
Me, I am not so sure.
I think maybe having a glass roof might be a better solution.

H20 used to carry that product, they got a lot of heat from the power companies and took it off their site, even though they still sell it. However, I found their supplier. http***rpu190 DOT 9966 DOT org

I found this post due to doing a google search because I told my brother about this thing about two weeks ago and he wanted to buy it, when I went back to h20 they no longer have it on the site, so I called them. Me being a tighwad w/ my cash, I did more googling. This little bad boy works... and works well. I wont go into what I have running, but lets just say that I am not concerned about my pwer bill being any type of red flag to undesired people.

~HTR~

Kilowatt2008 said:
I am asking anyone?

Please help or I might have to shut everything off just to afford my month bill.

And he didnt even come back after 1 post.

Where are you people drawing power from that is this dirty? Do you run your home off of generators? The electrical grid is monitored for spikes and surges and for the most part they do a good job. I have my doubts on whether that thing would work in town at all. It sure would stop the power spikes from showing when your lamps fire up, but so do digital ballasts. Not only that but is your lights turning on going to be your giveaway or maybe it will be the 4000 watts of power being consumed for 12 hours everyday like clockwork.

i do not pay an electrical bill in MI. and was wondering if anyone else living here could give me an estimate on what their cost is for running there grows.i've been using 1 400 watt lumatek with 2 blowers.

yumyumbubblegum said:
When you say everything do you mean everything? I have a 1000w digital system, Vortex fan, fan inside the tent (both fans 24/7), a little space heater (on low 24/7) and my bill only went up $20, I changed every single light bulb in my house with mini CFL's and saved like a extra $7.00, so basically I am paying $13.00 xtra, I am guessing your KWH charge is more then mine tho...

IMO the only way to grow for free is outdoors, but evenstill there is a cost, as we all know the reward always outways the cost... :hubba:

:rofl: :rofl: With all what U said about what U run and ur bill Only went Up 20 bucks....:rofl:
I must be doing something wrong because as soon as I hooked up my 400 watt Hps and ran fan 24/7 and my bill went up 45 bucks more a month and with my heater going, it went up another bucks which I don't know and I have change all my light in the house to CFL's too..

I live in the calif desert with 350 days of pure sunshine. I lowered my electrical bills from $300 a month to $250 a year !!! I installed a 5 Kw solar system. My meter runs backwards during the day and then runs forward in the night. Its called "Net Metering". My solar energy produced during the day is fed back into the electrical grid, thus the backward rotation of my meter. I have a 2200 sgft house, 1000 sgft photography studio, heated pool, hot tub and the bill is only $240 a year and I get that bill once a year.
When i turned my 400 w MH and my Agro Son 430w HPS light on I never saw a difference in my electrical

IMG_1958.jpg

Hidesert said:
I live in the calif desert with 350 days of pure sunshine..... I have a 2200 sgft house, 1000 sgft photography studio, heated pool, hot tub .....
.. Need a 'house guest'?? :p

Hidesert said:
I live in the calif desert with 350 days of pure sunshine. I lowered my electrical bills from $300 a month to $250 a year !!! I installed a 5 Kw solar system. My meter runs backwards during the day and then runs forward in the night. Its called "Net Metering". My solar energy produced during the day is fed back into the electrical grid, thus the backward rotation of my meter. I have a 2200 sgft house, 1000 sgft photography studio, heated pool, hot tub and the bill is only $240 a year and I get that bill once a year.
When i turned my 400 w MH and my Agro Son 430w HPS light on I never saw a difference in my electrical

do you mind sharing what the initial setup cost was?

everything i have found so far is just to expensive for me to setup right now

Kilowatt2008 said:
I am asking anyone?

1/17/09 UPDATE

I found a website I bought the device. It was to much. But no one else buy
one tile I know how it works.
I did get a copy of my TOS from the power company. It say this device is
illegal meaning a (2nd degree misdameanor) + a $300 meter reset fee.

and only if the power company want to press charges?

SO with that in hand I am going for it.:hubba:

I can not afford to loose all my work. I invest over $25k. :cool:

I have 7 fixtures running + attic fans + 5 ton AC unit + 16 pumps + CO2 + an RO filter system and A 24/7 Ip camera set up.:eek:

I only need 65 more days to complete my initial start up. I will let you all know the out come. In 2 weeks i get a bill for half my usage. Last month was nearly $600 (Tip never go over $800 in my area call for a driveby and a fly over):confused: Plus the power company raised their rates by 25% for this jan month. I am FREAKING out.:holysheep:

Latest posts

Back