What to do about rising electric cost?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
start out cost was about $45,000 after all of the rebates, both federal and state that was $17,000, my out of pocket was $28,000. If you spread that out for 10 years, my monthly would have been $230 for the amount. Should be getting my yearly bill next month.

Hidesert said:
start out cost was about $45,000 after all of the rebates, both federal and state that was $17,000, my out of pocket was $28,000. If you spread that out for 10 years, my monthly would have been $230 for the amount. Should be getting my yearly bill next month.

WOW!! That is a lot of cash I would rather spend on other stuff... the deal I got was 200 smackers and took me just a couple minutes to install and I was done. Since I have installed mine (just short of a year ago) I show a lot less usage, but I actually have a lot of things running... plus I saved over 1k $$ over what I paid last year.

~HTR~

When talking about your ele bill you should look at what you are paying a kilowatt hr now, then if you can look at what you were paying for a kilowatt hr last year. Utilitily companys hike their rates every year.

I live in the calif desert with 350 days of pure sunshine. what a coincidence,oyr altitude is around 2300 feet above sea level, it was around 75-80 today!pretty cool(warm)

Buy a lot of water, as much as your refridgerator and freezer can hold and put it in both your freezer and the fridge. Its kinda hard to explain, but imagine a cooler. You put ice in it and it keeps your stuff cool. Ice lasts a lot longer in a closed, insulated environment as opposed to an open environment. So by doing this, you're turning your fridge (biggest energy cost in every home) into an oversized cooler, so it won't have to click on and keep things cool as long, thereby saving you a little more money.

Hidesert said:
hardtoremember what did you install?

That rpu gadget that was asked about in the beginning of the thread... he was asking where to get it. I originally got my from h20 gardens, my brother wanted one several months later, and I found h20's supplier for a little less $$. I noticed in another thread on this forum and a thread on another forum some people saying sounds too good to be true. Well, I use it and have been for just over a year now, it paid for itself in the first 30, and I have saved over 1k from what I paid last year, as well as running a bit more than what I ran last year. 200 bucks beats the hell outta 45k up front costs. One day I may go with some of those solar panels and such, because I just think it smart to be prepared, but while I am short on $$, this will do well for me.

~HTR~

TheEnhancementSmoker said:
I don't know what your source is for that, but I can guarantee you that my A/C costs way more to run than the fridge.

No doubt, I have never heard of a fridge being a high kw user, my a/c is a damn hog compared to my fridge. He may have a fridge from the early 50's or something, an antique he doesnt want to part with maybe?

~HTR~

hardtoremember said:
That rpu gadget that was asked about in the beginning of the thread... he was asking where to get it. I originally got my from h20 gardens, my brother wanted one several months later, and I found h20's supplier for a little less $$. I noticed in another thread on this forum and a thread on another forum some people saying sounds too good to be true. Well, I use it and have been for just over a year now, it paid for itself in the first 30, and I have saved over 1k from what I paid last year, as well as running a bit more than what I ran last year. 200 bucks beats the hell outta 45k up front costs. One day I may go with some of those solar panels and such, because I just think it smart to be prepared, but while I am short on $$, this will do well for me.

~HTR~

I'm interested in paying $200 & savin thousands,thee me specifics

hardtoremember said:
H20 used to carry that product, they got a lot of heat from the power companies and took it off their site, even though they still sell it. However, I found their supplier. http***rpu190 DOT 9966 DOT org

I found this post due to doing a google search because I told my brother about this thing about two weeks ago and he wanted to buy it, when I went back to h20 they no longer have it on the site, so I called them. Me being a tighwad w/ my cash, I did more googling. This little bad boy works... and works well. I wont go into what I have running, but lets just say that I am not concerned about my pwer bill being any type of red flag to undesired people.

~HTR~

Here is the info I gave earlier in the thread, website name is there. I talked to the guy there today, he said he is willing to do a review with this site if they are interested. I can tell you personally, it works, and its worth it. I have talked to these guys several times because I have sent friends there, lets just say the friends I sent there have nto come after me for messing things up, they have actually hooked me up with some of their contacts for stuff that I needed ;)

~HTR~

..."stealing" electricity is NEVER a good idea. It not only reflects negatively on all growers, but also provides leo with "another" charge "when" you do get caught.
On any given day, you can find a headline reading about guys like you..
"Grow-op busted after worker discovers utility theft"... so now the uninformed believe that we are all not only pot smokers, but we are thieves as well.
"Most" of us here, are working, upstanding citizens of the community. Some are little league coaches, volunteer firemen, business owners, nurses, room mothers at school. The list goes on and on. "THAT" is the image that we should make efforts to convey/portray. Not further incriminate the growing community, by showing the world we are also theives.. "IMHO"... :)
Nothing is going to make the elec. co. report you/turn you in/prosecute you faster, than stealing their product.

Wanna save power?

DITCH THE THOUSAND WATTERS!!!

they are outdated and obsolete.

I (we) rock 600's and grow monsters, saves a significant amount of power.

Plus, if you are running your flower cycle through the day, it's gonna cost you. My lights turn on @ 10:00pm and turn off @ 10:00am.

My power bill is pretty cheap. Plus I only run minimal ventilation fans during the dark cycle.

No need for wind tunnels in the dark.

I thinks this is what guy is talking about .. hXXp://www.reducepowerusage.com/

Ah, yes, the RPU-190.

I see folks selling them all the time either in the hydro store or on Craigslist.

I have heard mixed reviews, I feel a little apprehensive, like I do about LED technology.

I gotta see results FIRST. Or hear from someone firsthand who had successful results.

If so, that's the next thing on the "Stuff I really, really need to buy" list.

I'm an electrical installation engineer with experience up to 16,000V/10MW and I can tell you right now, that the RP thingy is a scam.
The only way you could reduce your bills by connecting something ACROSS the meter - between the in and out terminals - is if that device either diverts power that would otherwise flow through the meter (in which case the RP190 will basically be a piece of thick wire that you're paying for - totally ILLEGAL - it is called THEFT -
or, it has a current transformer in it and turns the meter backwards (yes I know how to build these for about $15 and I don't tell people how because once again it is illegal, and theft)
Any idea of connecting capacitors to 'correct the power factor' is complete rubbish because all you would be doing is reducing the losses in the power company's own lines. It will not do a thing for your power consumption. And the power company usually seals "their" side of the meter and makes it illegal to break those seals.
So it's a scam. Either ON you or BY you.
Oh, and please don't connect car audio stabiliser caps across your house supply. It will go off like a hand grenade. Literally.

Kilowatt2008 said:
1/17/09 UPDATE

I found a website I bought the device. It was to much. But no one else buy
one tile I know how it works.
I did get a copy of my TOS from the power company. It say this device is
illegal meaning a (2nd degree misdameanor) + a $300 meter reset fee.

and only if the power company want to press charges?

SO with that in hand I am going for it.:hubba:

I can not afford to loose all my work. I invest over $25k. :cool:

I have 7 fixtures running + attic fans + 5 ton AC unit + 16 pumps + CO2 + an RO filter system and A 24/7 Ip camera set up.:eek:

I only need 65 more days to complete my initial start up. I will let you all know the out come. In 2 weeks i get a bill for half my usage. Last month was nearly $600 (Tip never go over $800 in my area call for a driveby and a fly over):confused: Plus the power company raised their rates by 25% for this jan month. I am FREAKING out.:holysheep:

Keep you all updated. If you want to know more send me a private message. I will share what info I have with you...

if you can afford to have 25k invested in this project why is a measly 600 bucks a month such a big deal? And any type of device or attempt to steal power will set off more red flags than your total power consumption.

if you are concerned about 'fly overs' or 'drive bys' insulate your rooms. Fly overs and drive bys are non issues where i live, but i did it anyway because of the harsh summers. --- Spend a few hundred bucks on some r15 insulation, crawl up into the attic and lay it all out above your grow rooms put several layers if need be.
for the walls i used 2" polystyrene sheets, they come in 4' x 8' sheets, and just put a few dabs of silicone and stuck them to the walls. I doubled up so i now have 8" of total insulation on my exterior walls.

this should eliminate the need for a heater and you should only need oscillating fans or can fans, which are much cheaper to run.

Latest posts

Back