Will a 12/12 from seed plant still GROW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ekoostik_Hookah

420Member
Reaction score
so i vegged for like 2 weeks, then put it in flower.
will the plants still grow in height and get bigger? or am i going to have 7 , 2 inch buds?

I assume it will grow, because when i put my normal plants in flower, it got like 2 times bigger.

it seems the plant hasnt grown at all since i put into flower, but i assume thats because it is changing its energy toward flowering....will it resume growing soon??

well i have no idea, some look indica, some stativa.
so ur saying one of them might not grow anymore?? i really am going to have a 2 inch cola.....that would $uck.

They should flower, theres actually a thread on the top list rite now titled flower from start, he's got pics of his little guys so i'd imagine it woudl work for you to.

i know it will flower, but is it going to stay small, and flower. or grow to a foot or more..and flower

If it would be more Sativa, then it would have the most 5-7 Fingers on a leaf.And it would surely grow much higher then. About 200-300% and more!
Indica and Ruderalis have after the 5-7 Fingered Leafs mostly, also 11-13 Fingered leafs...
At flowering they don´t grow much more....lets say about 50-100% of their size.

wish you luck

ThinkGREEN

lets hope for stativa, even though i perfer Indiaca dominate, and alittle stativa.

..at onset of flowering, "all" strains will stretch to some degree. Some will triple in heigth, most all will "at least" double.
If you aren't seeing any growth, "my" personal opinion/guess, would be the attempted forced flowering at such an early age. I'm still a believer that plants should be grown to "sexual maturity" before flowering is induced. (usually 4-6 weeks)
Forced flowering simply goes against the natural metobolic actions that have been bred into the plants for thousands of years. ..IMO. "It just ain't natural".. ;) ..and that does make a difference.
Keep in mind, that vegetive growth "above" ground, is directly related to the amount of growth underground (roots). IMHO..when flowering begins, the plants put the lions share of its energy into "above" ground growth, (flowering) and root growth comes to a halt, or nearlly ceases.. Without a proper root structure to support 'that', ... growth is bound to suffer.
I am also of the opinion that forced early flowering effects potency and quality in a negative manner. But these are only "my opinions". Others will beg to differ.

Hick said:
..at onset of flowering, "all" strains will stretch to some degree. Some will triple in heigth, most all will "at least" double.
If you aren't seeing any growth, "my" personal opinion/guess, would be the attempted forced flowering at such an early age. I'm still a believer that plants should be grown to "sexual maturity" before flowering is induced. (usually 4-6 weeks)
Forced flowering simply goes against the natural metobolic actions that have been bred into the plants for thousands of years. ..IMO. "It just ain't natural".. ;) ..and that does make a difference.
Keep in mind, that vegetive growth "above" ground, is directly related to the amount of growth underground (roots). IMHO..when flowering begins, the plants put the lions share of its energy into "above" ground growth, (flowering) and root growth comes to a halt, or nearlly ceases.. Without a proper root structure to support 'that', ... growth is bound to suffer.
I am also of the opinion that forced early flowering effects potency and quality in a negative manner. But these are only "my opinions". Others will beg to differ.

100% :goodposting:

Hick said:
..If you aren't seeing any growth, "my" personal opinion/guess, would be the attempted forced flowering at such an early age. I'm still a believer that plants should be grown to "sexual maturity" before flowering is induced. (usually 4-6 weeks)

That is great info spoken from experience I'm sure.........

I agree as I'm experiencing this with some Aghani seedlings 12/12 from seed. They simply do not have the root establishment for gathering nutes for flowering. I have never had such a time with sickly looking MJ seedlings. I have missed the thick, dense, foliage of vegging plants that I'm used to when I send them to flower.

I think after this batch of Afghanis harvests off, I'm going to go back to at least 4 weeks of veg. And that's spoken from experience.

Hick said:

Ok, Hick: where in the world were you, when we were deciding if i was going to go 12/12 early.??? if you would have been there, i prob wouldnt be 12/12 right now.....ughhh i really hope this grow goes somewhere....i still think it will.

and if my plant will not grow from here, how in the world does 12/12 from seed even work??? and i vegged for 2 weeks.

Yes, your plants will STILL grow, slower, but still grow, and yes you can go straight into flower. As a matter of fact, you can start seed at 12/12 and it will grow right into flower.... Want to see my example? This plant was started from seed outside just about 4 weeks ago... and look it's less than 6" tall and is going into a flower mode. Never seen any 'normal' veg stage lighting.

PICT0111.JPG

How about some real facts:

The 40/60 Phenomena are events observed during the indoor cultivation of flowering cannabis, and when using a strict 12 hour inductive photoperiod (aka 12/12). The events start with the first day of the inductive stage (12/12), and end on the day a mature crop is ready for harvest, collectively this period of time is called the Days Spent Flowering.
Stretch Phase (early flowering)

The stretch phase is a period of time during early flowering where rapid extraordinary outward growth takes place. Some growers have reported seeing 5 inches of growth in a single day during the stretch. This phase is characterized first by the extraordinary growth accompanied by longer than usual internodes, then the explosive outward growth slowly tapers off as internodes shorten. The end of the phase is signaled when growth tapers down to approximately 1/2 inch or less per day. This coincides with a time span equaling 40% of the total Days Spent Flowering. At this point growth shifts from outward to building bulk on existing growth, otherwise known as late flowering or the fattening phase.
Fatten Phase (late flowering)

The last 60% of the inductive phase is a period where outward growth is less significant. In fact, it can appear as if growth has stopped completely due to the very short internodes. During this phase a more complex set of growth activities occur. It's not much different from an apple tree that stopped producing new apples and is now devoting its remaining time to maturing or ripening the apples it already has. With female cannabis, flower production accelerates, floral clusters begin to grow wider or fatten, resin production increases and peaks, sinsemilla calyxes plump, pistils start to wither and change color, and not long after that the plant is ready for harvest.
How To Use The Phenomena

The time-table of the stretch and fatten phases are important events for cultivators growing an unknown variety for the first time. The two most common anxieties for indoor growers during flowering of an untested variety are....
  • Running out of headroom or grow space due to unanticipated growth.
  • Being unable to predict the harvest date in advance.
An indoor grower with limited space, especially limited headroom, can find his plants pressing against hot lights if he doesn't take measures to plan for the explosive growth that takes place during the stretch phase. Knowing how long the stretch will last can give him that advantage. Similarly, a grower with limited time doesn't want to wait until the show is over to know when it will end. There are many things he may want to do with his time now that it's freed up from the high maintenance demands of extraordinarily fast growing plants during the stretch. Having an idea whether this period of lower maintenance will extend another 40, 60, 80, or ??? days will also help in the timely scheduling of his next crop.

thats what i wanted to hear, thanks X 10,000.
sooo should i raise my lights a bit, so the plants stretch for it?
I have the lights as close as plantly possible.

not sure on distance of light since this was done outside to start, but now it's under a 12/12 indoor flower room. I don't 'think' it will matter too much the distance of the lights, because the plants will grow either way, but keep an eye on it, because as mentioned above, could grow in a huge spurt overnight, and you don't want it to burn the plant if it touches overnight.

alright, well i rasied it just a tad, all should be good.
Thanks again, ill post an update PIC in my journal...soon as i find some dam Double A

md.apothecary said:
Yes, your plants will STILL grow, slower, but still grow, and yes you can go straight into flower. As a matter of fact, you can start seed at 12/12 and it will grow right into flower.... Want to see my example? This plant was started from seed outside just about 4 weeks ago... and look it's less than 6" tall and is going into a flower mode. Never seen any 'normal' veg stage lighting.

Of course it can be done. Several journals here will document that.
But does it "negatively" effect the yeild, potency and quality of the final product ??

It appears to have..THAT plant.

Latest posts

Back