3 gal. smart pot help please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grass hopper

Reaction score
Since everybody seems to be out of my most loved seeds, i'm forced to find some new favs. i plan to try a couple seeds From a bunch of new strains. i need to go to a 3 galllon size in half of my tent. stay with 5 gal. on the other half... will be a great compare as well... ANYWAY, The 3 gallons i saw at the local (2) grow stores had only 1 inch less in diameter on their 3s vs. 5s. Meaning JUST SHORTER!! Also means i will have the same # of plants total.. I am looking for a felt pot about 8.5 inches in dia. and about 10 inches tall. this will allow for more test plants.. aNY IDEAS, thanks!!

Hamster Lewis has great results using 1 gallon smart pots. I also use 1 gallon for running new strains.

thanks rose, i ordered a 5 pk of handled felts. gotta see em. thx.

hi duck, yea i know. it's a big step to go from 5s to 1s. i may try whole tent 3s though. why do u use 1 gallons on new strains??? thanks

Don't want to waste the space if sub par strains.

not sure how good you are with a needle and thread but you could probably take the 5 gallon felt pots and kinda hem them to 8.5" diameter. If you wanted to go back to 5 gallon, just remove the stitching.

not sure how good you are with a needle and thread but you could probably take the 5 gallon felt pots and kinda hem them to 8.5" diameter. If you wanted to go back to 5 gallon, just remove the stitching.

your always thinkn oldguy. my wife has the patience for that. not me. not a bad thought though. thanks!

Hamster Lewis has great results using 1 gallon smart pots. I also use 1 gallon for running new strains.

i have a ton of respect for both u and hams gro skills... In the past, i start in rapid rooters for about 1 week. i then transplant into 6 by 6 inch white, square plastic pots, 8 inch high. they remain there for 4 or 5 weeks in which then i transplant into 5 gal. felt pots. my question is that when i remove the plants from the 6 by 6s, they are mostly rootbound. sometimes badly. i think that the 6 by 6s are approx. (1) gal... if i were to grow them an additional 8 to 12 weeks in this size pot, i think i would be choking them badly. or am i wrong?? could the felt pots do root pruning that well?? thanks

rose, THANKS for that link. gonna use (3) gal. in whole tent. found them with handles for under $3.00..

is that picture for real? no it isn't. is it? i don't belive it. yes i do. how? grown in soil? where do you keep the roots? or hydro and we can't see the roots hanging out of the bottom? very cool.

Latest posts

Back