Flowering a Sativa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombbudpuffa

Sweet Cheeba Chiefa
Reaction score
I'm usually growing indicas but decided to grow purp widow. How long should I let her veg before flowering. Should I wait for a certain time or go by height? I don't want 7 or 8 ft plants:D, 3 or 4 would be just fine:). I know they double or triple in size during flowering. I just don't know the growth rate of a sativa indoors. Thanks!

Im still trying to find out myself BBP......:D

The one I got seems to be about 6/7 ft but needed alot of tying down...:)

Sativas are some crazy little beings. You can be chasing down their colas all around your room with the right strain. Equatorial sativas have a natural light cycle that can only slightly vary from 12/12. Sometimes, to induce flowering, the light cycle needs to be dropped to 11/13 and then can later be raised to 12/12 again. There are many ways to control height. LST, HST, Bushmaster...these you are probably all aware of. However, there can be better ways when working with sativas.

Starting the seeds on a 12/12 light schedule always works well. But, the yield is greatly diminished. However,if you are growing out beans that your bread and you have a ton of them, this is a great way to save on you electric bill, as well as maximizing your grows economics.

BBP, I have seen that you are using grow bags. These are rather narrow tall. Try growing them in a pot that is wider, rather than taller. This helps the plant not grow as much vertical. Personally, I use soilbeds and cram them right in. This makes maintenance very easy. There is no flushing that has to be done, and no worrying of water dripping everywhere when watering. If there is a male, it is simply culled with the majority of it's roots. Even if the roots are left in there, the microbial action in the soil will thrive on it... If you are growing organically that is. Either way, a shallow rooting medium will naturally promote slowed vertical growth.

Try growing them in a pot that is wider, rather than taller.
No way! I'm looking for something taller and slimmer:D. The roots grow down and i'm trying to stick to indica or indica dom(love the buzz) but I made so many PW crosses, lol. If I get a tall plant i'll control it with lst and topping but when I try to stabilize i'll probably just kill the tall ones to save room and time because thats not what i'm looking for. Wider pots=bushy plants=less room. I've began trying to stay away from bushes as my Blue Mystic took up the space of 2 plants:(. No topping or lst just pinching the stem.

Bombubpuffa

Here is a sativa I have in flower now. I have her in a wide, shallow pot as my height restrictions are probably the most intense. 2 feet:shocked:

I am shaping her and it is pretty aggressive, but on a small scale, she's going to turn out to be a beaut!:)

I don't think you would be able to contain a sativa to 3 to 4 ft without topping. My sativa is like a tiger you almost can't cage. I have top every 3 days on the new stuff - just grows like bamboo, which is a grass. Hey this stuff is grass too ain't it?:)

Anyways, a lot of potential bud is cut off to maintain a bush, which is what it sounds like you don't want. My results, though, are a tightly packed little shrub covered in bud. All my clippings either get dried and the mini bud smoked, or the rest of the smokeless stuff goes right into my hashpile.

If you give it a shot, go for it, but I think you'll be getting out the scissors eventually if you try to indoor sativa.:hitchair:

100_0626.jpg

100_0627.jpg

100_0633.jpg

Wasssup Potbelly............:)

Look no scissors...........:huh:

Just a little string..............

P7177093.JPG

:yeahthat:

Thats some nice bud man. What kind is it?

i am also growing purp, is it a strain like purp widow that You are growing? i am also growing some indoors right now, some outside (plants five weeks old now), my average first frost is going to be the beginning of October (10 weeks, maybe a bit more, even without frost the nights will be below 46 degrees by then. Last year grew a bubblegum plant till first of October.). Do you think the plants have enough time to bud outside with natural light? Or do You think i should force them, cover them somehow to make them bud in the weeks to come? I was hoping they would grow maybe 20 inches more at least before they bud they are about twelve now. And another question, since i have such a short time left outside, should i not top them? Growing quantity is not really the object now, quality is, one main cola that is mature is fine with me for the outside plants. After reading the above, i am thinking of leaving the purps i have inside right where they are and let them get at least five feet tall, then force them to bud. i am new at this and appreciate the help, thank you,
tcbud
now that i re-read your post, i guess we have similar questions, about size and budding.

Hey guys......

I dont know the strain .......:(

It was a cutting from a friends friend.......

I must admit I paniced a bit at first....she spread for 5 weeks.....:eek:

Now she seems settled though.....

I grew her into some dead airspace I have...I guess if you straightn er up shes about 6/7 ft

shes just in week 7 of 12/12........:D

imsoborednow.....

Mine is at day 41, 6 weeks tomorrow.

I want to see how yours turns out. Post a shot of her every now and then.

Thanks

I'll post a weekly shot of mine up until harvest.:)

That video was amazing 1.5 kilos off of 1plant and 1bulb
Amazing!
Peace

kindbudcocky said:
That video was amazing 1.5 kilos off of 1plant and 1bulb
Amazing!
Peace

Isnt that something!:hubba:

Stunzeed..

Waaasssupp Potbelly ................:D

Here you go .....updated pic....shes looking good...:)

Miscalculated the flowering period......:eek:

Shes been in for 7 weeks and 3 days...(53 days) now.....

All I can see is bud , bud, and more bud.......:holysheep:

The white line I've drawn is the main stem.....as you can see I've been doing some bendin.........

sativa2.JPG

P7287137.JPG

Imsoborednow......

Think we're on the same inter-galactic plane here.:D

My plant is 1 day behind yours, and I was going to post you some pics of her this morning.

She is very healthy and tight. Just beginning to pop out with buds.

I (unfortunately) set all my flowering beauties back with a higher Nitrogen ratio than what they needed. It will cost me about 2 to 3 weeks. Live and learn. If ya ain't breakin nuttin, ya ain't learnin nuttin!:rolleyes:

Yours is looking good with plenty of bud. You've done well with the LST. Very well indeed! In the next few weeks, she'll really be packing on the bud. We're prolly not the only one's interested here in how these sativas turn out.

Hey Bombudpuffa, hope you don't mind the hijacking of this thread...... It all relates to your original topic......Kinda a mini Grow Journal of two simultaneus grows inside two near near inter-galactic localities.;) Great hash oil hit......:bong1: :D

100_0672.jpg

100_0673.jpg

100_0674.jpg

Your Lady s looking good there Pot Belly.......:)

See ya in a couple of weeks .......:lama:

Waaaaassssssuuuuuuppppp.....

13 weeks of 12/12 an she's looking good.....:watchplant:

Thought I might have got problems because the roots are probably restricted in that pot of mine.........but shes OK

I reckon another 3/4 weeks yet......:doh:

P9047251.JPG

Wassssuuppp guys....

Thought its bout time to update this thread as things are drawing to a close...

I took her down today after ....16 1/2 weeks of 12/12....thats 116 days I think...

I could have let her run some more ...but I need the space now....so...

Anyways heres a pic before the chop ...
notice that there is near total fanleave loss.....
something due to the size pot its in.......probably.......
good for me :)...aint got too much trimming....

Well thats bout it!...Ill drop in the dry wieght when I get it .....til then.......:lama:

P9307258.JPG

P9307260.JPG

P9307266.JPG

Latest posts

Back