New Setup - Some questions!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started some bagseed on veg today to practice before I buy some seeds. I have 5 vegging under 4 27 Watt Daylight CFL's. Totall of 5200 Lumens.

I plan on concentrating on just 2 plants. It's actually kind of a micro/stealth grow, I'm on the look-out for a cabinet that will come very soon. My biggest concern right now is a light to flower with.. If I up it to 6 lights and switch to (6) 2000 Lumens White light CFL's will that be enough to flower 1 or two plants that will be LST and small?

Any reccomendations for bare basics nutes? And when to start them? What about those simple MG sticks you just stick in the soil? Home depot is my only real source in this town and they carry mostly MG. I am very familiar with ebay and paypal - I'm not against ordering stuff.

Here's the HPS I'm looking at for flowering, How much better will this be than 12,000 lumens from 6 CFLs ??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=260161892889&Category=42225&_trksid=p3907.m29

How Hot is this light? I'm in a closet so is this HPS even worth it?

Again I'm gonna stick with just one or two plants at a time. More for fun than to be entirely self sufficient grower atm.

Pics coming when they pop from the soil :D

if they arent even out of the soil yet they dont need the light and if your going to do one small plant in a 1ft by 1ft grow box you could feasably get away with just the bulbs you have no nutes till after about 3 weeks and id not recomend any till after 3 mox if you used any off the rack top soil to put them in as it is already set to be used and it would take the plant about 3-4 mabey 6 mos to eat thru the nutes in the soil then if your going to add any (and you want to use MG) id say go for 1/4 to 1/2 strength when time 3-5 weeks after breaking ground

good luck on the grow

It is actually just some old soil, it might be pre-nuted i duno.. I figured I'd just get some soil from a buddy who had a pot filled with it in his storage closet. These are just my experiments for the time being..

Does it hurt to have the lights on even if they arent through the soil yet? I kinda just am eager to see how hot my closet gets with the lights/fan going.

I'll be putting them in a two door cabinet. Not more than 1.5-2' high, 1-1.5' deep and 2' wide. I want to keep it small. I'm also planning on adding a carbon filter scrubber like the one advertised on this site. So I'd really rather spend my money on that than a HPS that's gonna heat up and be big on electricity. Still sound ok for 12,000 CFL lumens for flower? (2 plants tops and the box stated above)

I have them in ~4 inch deep halves of water bottles for now, I want to practice transplanting. First transplant comes when the roots come out the bottom? I remembered to poke holes in the bottom of the bottles.

Thanks guys.

the lights being on now wont be a bad thing for them if anything it soes it will help keep the top of the soil drier so they can break thru

as for the box upgrade that youtalking about its sounds to be about 3sq' so id go and do about 15k (thousand) lumen in it if you can but you may be able to get by on 12k. and you can flower on them still many good grows on cfls that ive seen on this site

as for when to transplant it would depend on how big of a half bottle you used for the starts but id say if the root comes out of the bottom that would be a great time to get them a bigger home

thestandard said:
It is actually just some old soil, it might be pre-nuted i duno.. I figured I'd just get some soil from a buddy who had a pot filled with it in his storage closet. These are just my experiments for the time being..

Does it hurt to have the lights on even if they arent through the soil yet? I kinda just am eager to see how hot my closet gets with the lights/fan going.

I'll be putting them in a two door cabinet. Not more than 1.5-2' high, 1-1.5' deep and 2' wide. I want to keep it small. I'm also planning on adding a carbon filter scrubber like the one advertised on this site. So I'd really rather spend my money on that than a HPS that's gonna heat up and be big on electricity. Still sound ok for 12,000 CFL lumens for flower? (2 plants tops and the box stated above)

I have them in ~4 inch deep halves of water bottles for now, I want to practice transplanting. First transplant comes when the roots come out the bottom? I remembered to poke holes in the bottom of the bottles.

Thanks guys.

"2 feet high"...room enough for "A" plant ...maybe, but where are you going to put lights and a pot/container??
IMHO...you need at least 4 ft of heighth.

Found a cabinet at walmart for 60 bucks.. 3.5 feet high and 1.5 feet wide/deep. Even has a drawer on top which will work excellently to mount a carbon filter and hang lights..

Stay tuned for the grow journal..=p

could you give a link for the box from walmart i might be interested thank you

Latest posts

Back