New growth yellow??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BudMeister

Inspired Grower
Reaction score
I'm new to hydro and have fairly done my homework. I've tried several times with different mediums, strains/plants/clones, solution strengths, etc. I am getting the same problem, over and over. The new growth/leaves start yellowing. I've talked to many and tried many things and still :hairpull: Hopefully one of you will figure it out, I need "Dr. House" for gardening I guess ;)

My current set-up is an indoor hydro-hut, 400W HPS, ebb-flow system. Started 5 healthy 8" clones (rockwool and pearlite). Transplanted to "coco croutons". Feed with GH Flora series (aggressive veg 15,10 & 5 mL/gal in 20ppm RO), pH between 5.8-6.2. I top off as needed and will change once a week.

I'm running 18 hours, temp 78-83deg F & humidity 43-50%. The first 2 days I fed for 15 minutes 4 times/day and the new growth nodes started looking light green/yellow.

I've tried so many other things and thought I was over feeding in the past, I decided to kick up the feeding schedule to 7 times/day because I think the coco drains very good and requires flooding more often.

I'm on day 5, take a look at the pics. Am I on the right track? Give it a few more days?? Help, any ideas or suggestions. Thanks!

pm4.JPG

pm3.JPG

pm2.JPG

pm1.JPG

:bump:

Ok, I'm a little impatient. Everyone knows how important our little girls are!

Should I maybe increase the flooding to once every 2 hours??

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!!

howdy,im not familiar with your problem but youv definately done your homework. i have RW cubes on slabs and i flood 3times for 15...it floods AND drains fully inside 15 min. i did my first two grows only flooding once for 20...but thats RW for ya.i would guess there getting plenty of water but im fairly new at this as well. im sure a pro will be with you shortly.
good luck

Looks like it could be sulfur deff., does your nute solution contain sulfur?
What is the PH of your nute solution?

Solution to fixing a Sulfur deficiency
Mix 1-2 teaspoons of Epsom salts per gallon of water until condition improves.
Any Chemical/Organic nutrients that have Sulfur in them will fix a Sulfur deficiency. (Only mixing at ½ strength when using chemical nutrients or it will cause nutrient burn!) Other sulfur nutrient supplements are: Rain water, Ammonium Thiosulfate, which is all fast absorption. Garden Sulfur, Sulfate of Potash, Gypsum.
Note: Caution when using gypsum to an already acid soil (pH that is less than 5.5) can have a very bad effect on different types of plants by affecting the absorption of soil aluminum, which is poison to plant roots.

Thanks GrowDude. It appears to be sulfur, but I am using General Hydroponics 3 part Flora series which should be fine. I am using the same solution recipe as the clones were already using when I got them.

I keep my pH between 5.8 & 6.2. The EC is around 2500uS (2.5mS) and the ppm reading is around 1600.

The other diff is: I got the clones from pearlite and I am using "Coco croutons"? Also, I am using Ebb&Flow while he was using a drip system.

I examined a dead soldier and the bottom croutons were very, very wet. So, I have decided to cut back on the flood & drain cycles to 2 per day?

Any Ebb & Flo or coco pros out there?? Help, they are getting more yellow!!

The only other problem I can think of is a bad batch of nutrients?? Maybe too much Nitrogen or old stuff??

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all :)

Here are a couple pics I just took. Is that a bit of green coming through??

canopy.JPG

greenmaybe.JPG

dont know anything about coco,but rockwool stays wet for days even if you dont fllod it.thats wild,ive never seen anything like that!im no pro,ive just looked at a lot of pics. good luck

oh yeah...ya,looks like green.be interesting to find out if too much water could cause that

Hmmmm?? I dunno?? I can't find anyone who has seen this? A few friends have looked at it and are confued. They say all my conditions are right :rolleyes:

The tough part is, I know it can take 2-3 days to show signs of improvement, but 2-3 days could make them so worse :eek:

I'm putting one in perlite today and staying with a lower feeding schedule (2-3 15 min. floods/day). I'll try and post a few pics as I go.

Again, any further insight would be appreciated ;)

yep bud, thats a terrible place to be in. i guess if it was me,first id empty/clean rez(youve probably done this already)and if that doesnt work i would get new nutes and do it again...cause like you say,every thing seems dead on.wait,unless i missed it you didnt mention fresh air? got air

any algae, is ph/ppm dropping, climbin,or bouncin around more than usual? i know these are simple things youve probably thought of,im just triin to brainstorm and maybe figure this thing out!hopefully your next post will be"there better"!

Dosent look like to much nitrogen,maybe not enough?

GD hit the nail on the head. Add some epsom salts. Also, the most common indoor deficiency is magnesium. Adding epsom salt will help this too.
I am using General Hydroponics 3 part Flora series which should be fine.
Those are fine nutes but doesn't mean you won't have to add anything else.

Thanks you all :aok:

I did the transplant of one to perlite and noticed good root growth but appears many of the early roots were browning (root rot?) The coco seemed too wet (not enough air available?)

No big pH or ppm fluctuations. Good air/blower set up?

Some of the new growth seems to be coming in with more green...
I guess I'll do a light flush, re-fill the res, add some epsom salt and lower the feeding (so it doesn't stay so moist) and see???

BudMeister said:
I am using General Hydroponics 3 part Flora series which should be fine. I am using the same solution recipe as the clones were already using when I got them.

Explain to me exactly how you are mixing your nutrients and in which order and how much per/gallon.

What are you using to measure with?

Are you putting the Micro Nutrient into the water BEFORE any of the others? If not, it will cause a real bad lockout.

The Micro MUST be diluted into the water before adding any of the other nutes.

Ok I don't want to hijack this thread but also don't feel like making a new one. What if you do add the micro after everything else and there is a lock out. How does one reverse it?

Stoney Bud said:
Explain to me exactly how you are mixing your nutrients and in which order and how much per/gallon.

What are you using to measure with?

Are you putting the Micro Nutrient into the water BEFORE any of the others? If not, it will cause a real bad lockout.

The Micro MUST be diluted into the water before adding any of the other nutes.

Yepper, you're right about the micro. Have to read the fine print :rolleyes:

I add 10ml/gal of the micro FIRST, then 15ml/gal of grow and then 5ml/gal of bloom.

I've used a teaspoon to measure as well as a measuring cup?? I've mixed by the gal, by the res, I've hand fed, flood fed??

I use a Myron L Ultrameter II for my EC/PPM/pH measurements (and calibrated). I am at wits end :confused: , diiff mediums, clones from diff people, got RO water???

Has to be the nutes...right? Got them online from hydrowholesale.com, be warned. Getting new nutes and putting all in perlite...wish me luck!!

unseenghost said:
Ok I don't want to hijack this thread but also don't feel like making a new one. What if you do add the micro after everything else and there is a lock out. How does one reverse it?

You'll have to flush with a mild (1/4) solution and trash the res and restart with fresh solution mixed properly. That should do it for ya ;)

So your problem sounds exactly like mine. It's cost me a lot of time, money, and aggravation, but I think I know the solution.

It seems the plastic inside the hydrohut gets heated up and starts to release something that's poisonous to the plants. To test the theory, I took the plastic off the tent and replaced it with panda polyfilm and the plants improved in about two days.

Some of the plastic for the tents must have been cured differently because it doesn't seem to happen in all of them. However, I know two other people with the same yellow leaves and once they got rid of the plastic that came with the hut, their plants improved.

If you solved your problem some other way, I'd love to know how because it's a pain not using the zipped up cover that came with the hut.

BudMeister said:
Yepper, you're right about the micro. Have to read the fine print :rolleyes:

I add 10ml/gal of the micro FIRST, then 15ml/gal of grow and then 5ml/gal of bloom.

I've used a teaspoon to measure as well as a measuring cup?? I've mixed by the gal, by the res, I've hand fed, flood fed??

Hey! That's a good thing in a way. You've found the exact reason your plants are doing what they are.

It's well documented by the manufacturer that if the Micro is added in any way other than the way they are supposed to, it will cause a severe lockout of some of the nutrients.

Sorry I missed your reply. If you empty your reservoir, scrub it out and flush your system with plain water, it'll fix you up.

I would suggest that you buy a 50ml tall beaker and a two gallon jug of some kind. Use a measuring cup to fill the jug with EXACTLY two gallons of water. Mark the level on the jug so you don't have to measure the water any more.

Then, fill the jug with water. Measure an EXACT amount of the Micro. Put it into the jug. Mix it or shake it up. THEN add the other two nutes to the water in the jug. Mix or shake it again and THEN add it to your reservoir as needed.

That will fix you up!

Good luck!

BulldogEatingMayo said:
I bet it wasn't the nutrients...
So your problem sounds exactly like mine. It's cost me a lot of time, money, and aggravation, but I think I know the solution.

It seems the plastic inside the hydrohut gets heated up and starts to release something that's poisonous to the plants. To test the theory, I took the plastic off the tent and replaced it with panda polyfilm and the plants improved in about two days.

Some of the plastic for the tents must have been cured differently because it doesn't seem to happen in all of them. However, I know two other people with the same yellow leaves and once they got rid of the plastic that came with the hut, their plants improved.

If you solved your problem some other way, I'd love to know how because it's a pain not using the zipped up cover that came with the hut.

Now that he's explained that he was adding the Micro Nutes in the wrong order, it's a sure thing that it was the cause. The warning not to do so is right on every bottle of the stuff that is made.

However, the problem you're having sounds more like a mold problem. Did you try to wipe the inside of the plastic down with a mild bleach solution before removing it?

I'll bet that would have resolved your problem. A hot, wet climate inside a plastic enclosure will cause mold growth on the surface of the plastic unless it's aired well each day and wiped down with a mild bleach solution about once a week. This is also a common problem that will contaminate your grow and cause many problems.

Latest posts

Back