Mold-Free & Storage Solutions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondeboy

Reaction score
Here is some advice that I've learned in protecting pot from mold while storage during long-term (3-6 mos). Other helpful suggestions and Critic criticism are welcomed so long as they are wise and informable.

· First…Remove all of the weed from their steams. Also remove the seeds because this is usual where mold first appears and spreads throughout
· Grind the weed into fine particles, fine enough to be smokable. Sticky or wet weed will mold and grinding it allows all of the water to evaporate. Buy a manual weed grinder is a suggestion.
· Afterwards, Dry them on a screen but not until they are too flaky!
· Store them in an airtight container half-filled in the bottom of your refrigerator. Although, the THC level will rapidly deteriorate from 2-3% monthly in a refrigerator, it’s the best proven method. A freezer will deteriorate the THC much faster then storage in refrigerator.
· Vacuum pack the jars in zip-lock vacuum bags.
· The shelf like is short. Personally 8 months is as long as I will keep it around. Discard old pot if discoloration sets-in and begins to look bad (Black & hairy), even if it has been properly stored because it’s not worth your health to keep shitty and potentially deadly pot around.
· Check regularly for mold and Discard the entire jar of pot if any mold is found.

I'd have to disagree with grinding your weed up especially with a coffee grinder, i also dont think a refrigerator is needed if you have a cool dark space, i also wouldnt throw away 8 month old weed that has been properly stored.

:yeahthat: I agree, I store hole buds on the stem, 12 inches or so in glass jars.

If the weed is properly cured it can be stored in the dark cool place without ever having to open the jars for months, ive had jars sit for 6+ months and seemed as good as it ever was.

BB edited his post, it now says manually grind, it originally said to use a coffee grinder.

After being ground up and dried, you could probably either snort it or toss a pinch between cheek and gum like snuff.:D

Grinding it damages the trichs and makes it more likely that oxygen gets to the thc and destroys it. I would never grind up weed that I plan to store.

The Japanese Emperor is getting high on that Nuclear Bong over there! Anyways… Ground up weed isn't the preferred method, like you said but I'll rater have trich damage then mold. What can you do because mold will mess up your weed if it’s left in it’s natural form? And weed has to be temperature controlled in a cool environment all year round. The minute it gets below 57 degrees, mold sets in. The only place to stash your weed is inside a refrigerator because when it's stored there, you are certain a consistent temperature. There are only few cool places in my house during the winter to store it, and none in the middle of a hot summer.

Ive never had mold in god knows how many crops. That goes for seeds too unless I put the pollen there. :rofl:

I have never cut or grinded my weed down. Unless to consume or process it.

Storing your meds will evaporate your terpenes and your meds will lose flavor. The THC will degrade becoming CBN. Lessening the high..

After 2 months your meds will be 1/2 the level of terpenes and nearly tasteless after 5 months it will be nearly useless.

Only possible way to combat this is storing using an inert gas such as nitrogen.

blondeboy said:
The minute it gets below 57 degrees, mold sets in. The only place to stash your weed is inside a refrigerator because when it's stored there, you are certain a consistent temperature.

Do you even read what you post?

I dont know about your fridge but mine is below 57 degrees.

If you dont want mold dont jar up wet half cured weed thats all there is to it.

Hey here is a thought maybe the reason you've had so much mold is how you cure your weed. :doh:

PencilHead said:
After being ground up and dried, you could probably either snort it or toss a pinch between cheek and gum like snuff.:D

Here we go :rofl:

Would you buy chance be trying to cure fan leaves from a male white widow?

"Properly".. (properly as in per the drying and curing stickies on THIS forum) dried and cured full buds,stored in jars, in a cool dark place will NEVER mold, and potency loss will be minimal.
This is a "tried and true", proven method that has worked well for thousand of folks for decades.
There is no need or reason to destroy your product, grinding and freezing..."none"...

:yeahthat:

that and all methods stated in OP will hurt potency. I have the GC results to proove it. ;)

Do you go out of your way to stir crap up with these crazy threads bb ?

this member is too familiar. yeah, we know you. get bored lately? :doh:

My "meds" were cured properly. In fact, I gave them extra time to dry. Then they where place in clumps inside canning jars. Yet I still had mold develop inside all of them. I never had a problem with The weed that was cut-up into small pieces, but always when I left them in their natural state on the steam. when left in large clumps, mold develops inside them within 3 months. I lost nearly a pound of good weed, (not fan-leafs!) and half of my summer supply one year. That is when I begun getting serious about mold. Learning from that disaster, I cut my meds up into smaller clumps and no larger then the size of my nail. I've never had a problem since doing that. My strain of meds had a high level of THC so if it drops off by 2-3% ill still be ok.

Hey Kushman.. how do you add nitrogen to a jar of weed, and where do I pick up some of that gas, Walgreen????

Check this bb

hxxp://www.justsayn2o.com/nitrous.obtain.html

Ozzy, not Nitrous Oxide :rofl: although....no nvw ;)

an inert gas such as nitrogen or argon can be purchased from welding supply chains like airgas

to add it to a mason jar you will need to add one way valve fittings on the lid and fill it upsidedown.

and on another note, if you dry your bud and it still molds, you have mold in the weed to begin with, or you have wet weed. Its that simple. You realize you developed a drying and curing style because you had mold problems to begin with. ;)

Latest posts

Back