Mold-Free & Storage Solutions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blondeboy said:
Ok Hick you may have a valid point and Im listening to you. The lids I bought suppose to burp themselves, and I heard them popping off several times a day, so I thought the lids were working properly and burping themselves. IDK! But, here is the scope of the problem. After curing, I placed entire branches of weed inside the jars, without breaking them down or removing them from the steams. After 3 months, the center of the branches turned black. From the outside, it looked perfectly green and healthy. Because the weed clump up so tight after awhile, it's hard to notice the mold from the outside. Mold had found the wettest and darkest place to form on the weed, in the center. I still don’t recommend leaving the weed with seeds & on steam. Large clumps left on the steams can’t be good either. I’m simply saying… break your weed down to a manageable size because the bigger the clumps the easier it is for mold to hide. And what ever you do, keep you sack of weed cool because the minute it turns slightly warm, it turns.

"Self burpers" ehh..hmmm. I can't even imagine how those would/could work, but I'm guessing they 'don't'..:p Burping is going to be dictated by several factors, but essentially boils down to moisture content. Bigger buds = bigger stems/branches and will in all likelihood retain more moisture and take longer to cure. Just like a sponge, the more volume, the more water it will retain. Thick, dense buds will require more burping, more frequently, for longer periods, than long wispy buds.
Even after thhe outside of buds "appear" to be crispy dry and the stem "snaps", the inner most parts close to the stem deep inside, are still retaining moisture. Sealing them in an airtight container allows that moisture to permeate, redistribute itself more equally out into the bud. Burping (I leave the lid off for at least 30 minutes to an hour each time) then dries the outside of the buds again. Sealng then draws out yet more interior moisture,... burp,.... seal,.... burp.... I usually continue the process for 'at least' two weeks, sometimes more time is required. Sometimes, I've needed to remove the buds from the jar and give them an additional 12 or so hours of drying time.
For me, it has become something akin to watering your plants or detecting their nutritional needs. Over time, you develop the ability to read their needs almost without knowing it.
Mold deep within the buds would say to me, either they were molded in there when they were placed in the jars, or the burping/curing process was cut short, and allowed to develop.
When finished properly, you end up with buds that have a rather tough texture, as in, they won't just turn to powder/dust when you break it down for consumption. It brings out aroma and allows terpines to express more fluently. It is really a process worth the extra effort.,,IMO.

:giggle: Hick, for some reason I'm getting pictures of your lawn filled with holes from you diggin' up your mason jars like Lucius Clay! (probably showing my age there...)
I also use mason jars and store them in an old chest freezer (unplugged).
I've never had any problem with keeping six months + and, never really noticed any drop in potency.
In the beginning, however, fear of mold would cause me to overdry before storage, then I would rehumidify by throwing a piece of orange peel in the jar when I got ready to use it.
For me, learning to properly cure took longer than learning to grow.
And twice as much patience...

Burp...Yea large dense branches was where i found all of my mold. I bought some Amsterdam seeds this year. I expect This will be the bomb (Government-13/Sour Diesel). Has Anyone smoked any of this kind of weed?

Latest posts

Back