First batch of gummies!

Discussion in 'Marijuana Cuisine - Marijuana Recipes - Marijuana' started by Caw, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Mar 21, 2020 #1

Caw

Caw

Caw

So today I tried my hand at making my first batch of gummies. It was surprisingly easy too. I've watched countless videos and read countless articles. Everyone has their own methods. I decided to go with a YouTube video that is supposedly "fool proof" and wont melt in your pocket - many suggested storing in the refrigerator or freezer for fear of melting. Here's what I did:

1. Decarded 14 grams of Critical Mango in a sous vide. 200 degrees for 2 hours.

2. Infused this into 8 oz (1cup) of coconut oil for 4 hours. Again in the sous vide, in a 16 oz mason jar with the lid finger tight. I set it for 185 degrees and bathed it for 4 hours.

3. For the jello - I put 6 packets of unflavored gelatin in 3/4 cup of cold water. The video states to use 7. But, I had 2 boxes, 4 in each, and figured i could make another batch without going back to the store.

4. I put 1 cup of water in a small pot and got it up to a boil. I then turned the heat down to low and added the unflavored gelatin.

5. I used one one of those small hand mixers, like for drinks, and got everything mixed up well - no clumps.

6. I then added the flavored jello (I used cherry) and hand mixed again.

7. Next, I added the half the oil (half cup) and a tablespoon of lecithin and gave a final mix.

8. Lastly, I filled my molds and put them in the freezer.

I tried a small bear just to get an idea how strong they are. Its been an hour and only a slight buzz. My guess, about 5mg each.

Prior to making I did figure those tiny bear molds wouldnt hold much. So, I bought the unicorn mold from Walmart. STILL found myself with about half the jello so I grabbed the silicone ice tray. I'll have to wait till I have no responsibilities to try those. After filling the ice tray, I had less than a dropper full left in the pot. 2-3 gummies should be a good starting point. I will say that when smoking, and eating, this strain is
    GREAT for pain management.

Edit: I changed this to a half cup of oil. I wasnt sure about using that much oil for fear of a slimy texture.

Also, the THC content in the Critical Mango isn't that high - MAYBE 15% max. It's truly a CBD strain. It was supposed to be 6% 1:1, but that's definitely wrong in terms of THC.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020 at 5:00 AM
  2. Mar 21, 2020 #2

The Hemp Goddess

The Hemp Goddess

The Hemp Goddess

Granny Mod Staff Member Admin

I love making gummies. They are probably my favorite kind of edibles.

3. Mar 24, 2020 #3

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Thanks for the recipe. I want to try and make a batch soon so your post is a great one.

thegloman and Liberated Grower like this.
  4. Mar 28, 2020 at 3:33 AM #4

Liberated Grower

Liberated Grower

Liberated Grower

I've been wanting to make some gummies too, so this is definitely a cool post. Got a couple questions though. What's a sous vide? How many packets of gelatin total? You said 6 unflavored then just said you added flavored, not how much. Thanks!

Mr Magoo likes this.
  5. Mar 28, 2020 at 4:55 AM #5

Caw

Caw

Caw

A sous vide is basically a temperature controlled water bath gadget. You attach it on your pot/dish/tub/container and fill the container with water. Turn it on, set the temp, let it heat up and place your vacuumed pack bagged flower in the water. It keeps it a steady, constant temp, allowing no smell during the decarb process.

Or, set the temp and place you flower and oil/butter in it, in a jar, and allow it to bath.

Check one out! Google is your friend. It's actually meant to cook food in - perfect restaurant quality steaks and such. However, theres a whole lot of people who use it for cannabis - YouTube and google both have a ton of things to check out - search "sous vide cannabis".

And yes, 1 packet of the flavored jello, 6 packets of the unflavored.

I will say, if you have the smaller bear molds like me, up the cannabis amount - maybe even double. I find that I need about 5 bears for a nice, good buzz. These will work for taking AT work, if that happens anytime soon. I've yet to try one of the ice cube tray ones. Honestly, I would just skip the bear molds and go straight to the ice trays with this recipe. It should be about 6-8 bears, guesstimate. They ARE super convenient for sure, and tasty. And they do hold up outside of the refrigerator.

Good luck

Liberated Grower and Mr Magoo like this.