Topping a plant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodles

Reaction score
Hey everybody:)

I have two plants that are on day 4 of flowering and 9 plants in veg, stage on day 22. I have never done this. Could someone explain how the easiest without damaging the plants. Is this absolutely necessary. Im using cfls so my plants are short. Dont know someone help please.:eek:

Later:cool:

I dont top or trim my plants.I let them grow there natural course.Some people top for different reasons.Like they dont have enough room to grow or they want mult. colas,cloning,ETC.That list could go on for a long time.If you do need to,then there are very easy steps to take to do that,and it wont stress your plant to much.Do a search on this topic and you will get several very nice threads that will tell you how to do that."I" dont.Like they say if it isnt broken why fix it?good luck on your grow!!:farm:

topping is done during veg, it makes for a bushier plant which will have more tops meaning more bud sites. Are you running out of verticle space or what?

I am growing in two different closets. One I use for flowering the other for vegging. I wont run out of room I guess when i sort the plants by sex if Im lucky enough to get to do that. Is it a good idea or not? Will it slow down the flowering or normal plant growth a lot because I might be moving in 2 months so its kind of a rush.

You dont want to cut the tops off of flowering plants as this will be the most productive spot on the plant. Some folks top their plants just BEFORE flowering them to achieve 'split colas' (two tops instead of one) because each time you cut the top two branches grow in its place.
If it were me...I wouldnt top the plants in flower. Especially if you dont want to slow the process. As far as plants in veg...why not? more branches=more buds. Hope this helps.

Like turkeyneck said...more bud sites, more bud. People top for shorter plants , for clones and for a better yield. If you want short, bushy plants with nugz everywhere, top it. If you want a plant with one huge cola and probably two more good size sites, don't top it. I usually mix it up because I like variety.

How big do the plants have to be before you can top them. I have 2 that are about 8" and 9" and are about 5 weeks old.

that more then good for choping :)

Would I have to do anything to the top after I cut it or just let it continue as it was. Where exactly do I cut it. I know it is at the top but is the cut made above the hightest noid or what?:confused:

It has been 3 days and no signs of regrowing 2 branches where I cut it. It is still growing though and the place wher I cut it on the stalk is getting taller. Im worried about it because Ive never done this. Does it need more time or did I mess it up?:confused:

Latest posts

Back