$10 smart grow system using an old computer!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leafminer,

Can you give me some examples? I've got a couple of old PCs laying around and this looks like a much better way to go than buy 8 different timers.

Good smoking

DonJones said:
leafminer,

Can you give me some examples? I've got a couple of old PCs laying around and this looks like a much better way to go than buy 8 different timers.

Good smoking

Why would you need 8 different timers?

I really dont see that much use for something like this.

Growdude,

2 separate rooms right now,and soon to be 4 rooms, lights for each room ventilation for each room, 4x2=8, and that doesn't even include hydro controls for each room if I start using something besides DWC. If you are running multiple rooms/areas you can quickly accumulate more than 8 different timing programs.

We currently are authorized 30 plants and very soon that will jump to 45 just for the family members who live here and have prescriptions plus we are also authorized that much again as designated providers for other non-growing patients. Currently we are growing for one patient in addition to our own use so right now we are authorized 45 plants and we wouldn't have room for that many plants between our 2 rooms, if they didn't count rooting clones and/or sprouting seeds. The current cloning/sprouting box could even become the 3 area now and eventually the 5th area.

Good question though.

DonJones said:
Growdude,

2 separate rooms right now,and soon to be 4 rooms, lights for each room ventilation for each room, 4x2=8, and that doesn't even include hydro controls for each room if I start using something besides DWC. If you are running multiple rooms/areas you can quickly accumulate more than 8 different timing programs.

We currently are authorized 30 plants and very soon that will jump to 45 just for the family members who live here and have prescriptions plus we are also authorized that much again as designated providers for other non-growing patients. Currently we are growing for one patient in addition to our own use so right now we are authorized 45 plants and we wouldn't have room for that many plants between our 2 rooms, if they didn't count rooting clones and/or sprouting seeds. The current cloning/sprouting box could even become the 3 area now and eventually the 5th area.

Good question though.

Yea I see, would be nice for that many rooms.
The only thing that would concern me is if the power just flickers the computer will be off. where as a micro controller would pick back up once the power is back on.

Growdude,

Tell me about a micro controller. What is it, how do you use it and what would it cost to control at least 8 circuits?

I can use it to control high power relays if that helps. That is what I was intending to do any way was to run low amperage cable from the power centers through the relays on the parallel board to the relays in the power centers where the power actually will be used to cut down on the clutter and cords.

Also, I have an non-interruptible power unit that we aren't using because none of our computers are that critical, but I'm still open to suggestions.

Good smoking. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Growdude said:
Yea I see, would be nice for that many rooms.
The only thing that would concern me is if the power just flickers the computer will be off. where as a micro controller would pick back up once the power is back on.
i have an APS unit that runs with a truck battery can run my PC for 6 hours easy but it aint cheap, i got it for other purposes and is pretty much not being used anymore

Yeah ZEM! I know the feeling, my son just brought the Non-interruptable power thing home one day. I don't know where he got it or why he thought we needed it.

I have a 4500 watt gas generator for long term outages, but if I get much more equipment, I'll need another one. I go tit a longtime ago because my son-in-law's brother showed up with it and told me the story that his boss had given it to him in lieu of wages. We had had a couple of ice storms in the preceding years where the power was out for weeks here in town. I used it once for 3 days for that purpose and then had it mounted on the semi-tractor but never used it there.

Now I have another use for it.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Good smoking

DonJones said:
Growdude,

Tell me about a micro controller. What is it, how do you use it and what would it cost to control at least 8 circuits?

I can use it to control high power relays if that helps. That is what I was intending to do any way was to run low amperage cable from the power centers through the relays on the parallel board to the relays in the power centers where the power actually will be used to cut down on the clutter and cords.

Also, I have an non-interruptible power unit that we aren't using because none of our computers are that critical, but I'm still open to suggestions.

Good smoking. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Here is an example of one made by Seimens. its $50.00 for software and everything.
hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/Siemens-LOGO-LOGO-PLC-DC12-24V-with-software-cable_W0QQitemZ220530463225QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Control_Systems_PLCs?hash=item3358a3d1f9

This one I believe is 6 inputs 4 out but its just an example, when you buy one you need to know your inputs voltage and you can get different output options.

What it is is a programmable relay, it can take a number of inputs and fire outputs according to the program you write for it.
ex. I could write a simple program to say IF input one is ON then wait 5 seconds and turn on output one.

Thats just a simple example, they have many different programming capabilities . There very easy to program using the software or using the keypad on the front.

This one uses a IF AND OR NOT type logic,
ex. IF input1 AND input2 OR input3 NOT input4 = output1 = ON.
Timers, counters, and some even have math and analog capability.

They really are great for small automation projects.

Growdude,

So basically they are just really primitive limited functioning PC? Right? I know that is an overly simplified answer, but I think you know what I mean.I guess my biggest question is how do I get the input sensors and know how to use them? Also, do you know how to get the input signals into a PC?

From what I understood from your examples, they just program off of a simple fill in the blanks logic either or flow chart, correct?

Thanks you for your help.

I hope you had a MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Good smoking.

DonJones said:
Growdude,

So basically they are just really primitive limited functioning PC? Right? I know that is an overly simplified answer, but I think you know what I mean.I guess my biggest question is how do I get the input sensors and know how to use them? Also, do you know how to get the input signals into a PC?

From what I understood from your examples, they just program off of a simple fill in the blanks logic either or flow chart, correct?

Thanks you for your help.

I hope you had a MERRY CHRISTMAS.
Good smoking.

The inputs are going to what is called discrete or (On Off)
Inputs could be Rez level float switches, a aux contact on the lighting relay could be (Lights on) input confirmation. ect.

More advanced controllers could have temp sensing using analog input.
Program could be wrote to control fans or heaters to maintain temperature.

I dont know how you would get inputs to the PC.

To accomplish what I think you are trying to accomplish you are going to need a sensor for each variable of the environment you want to control. Then you need to learn how to hook them up, then you need to learn how to program in a computer language to interpret the data and will most likely need some pretty low level functions if you are missing with controlling parallel ports ( I would recommend C). Actually you should probably learn a programming language first. I'm not trying to dissuade you but you should know the scope and size of a project like this. Also I don't know much about controlling a device through the parallel port but if you require any interpretation or comparison of data before it reaches the parallel port you will need to have a working understanding of electronics circuits and possibly microcontrollers.

From what I've heard a pretty quick and easy way to get up and running with microcontrollers is with an arduino as it has a pretty newby friendly programming ide and libraries. Plus an extensive online help network.

http://www.cheapvegetablegardener.com/2009/01/fully-automated-computerized-grow-box.html

You can look here for a bit more inspiration.

Tater, thank you for your reply and the link. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but am sure it will be very enlightening. I don't understand the recommendation of "C": in this statement.
"will most likely need some pretty low level functions if you are missing with controlling parallel ports ( I would recommend C)."
Can you explain it briefly to me?

Anyone, can you add several parallel port cards to a PC or are you limited to one port?

HAPPY NEW YEAR AND GREAT SMOKING!

DonJones said:
Anyone, can you add several parallel port cards to a PC or are you limited to one port?
hey there Don :) you can add parallel ports, the tutorials suggest you use extra added ports for the project and not using the only port on your comp.

i havent yet started with any kind of application for the project but i have gathered my resources and i am thinkin of doing it using an old laptop, i would need to add some cooling to it so that it dont burn down due to 24/24 hour operation but it will be compact and will look cooler :cool: i have couple of old laptops and 3 old desktop comps, i'm still researching on an acceptable price of PH EC probes that have option to input into the comps still havent been successful in finding any, the best i found has good prices for the probes but they need to be hooked up to the controller whose price is very high, any help on this will be appreciated ;)

Happy New Year!

zem said:
hey there Don :) you can add parallel ports, the tutorials suggest you use extra added ports for the project and not using the only port on your comp.

i havent yet started with any kind of application for the project but i have gathered my resources and i am thinkin of doing it using an old laptop, i would need to add some cooling to it so that it dont burn down due to 24/24 hour operation but it will be compact and will look cooler :cool: i have couple of old laptops and 3 old desktop comps, i'm still researching on an acceptable price of PH EC probes that have option to input into the comps still havent been successful in finding any, the best i found has good prices for the probes but they need to be hooked up to the controller whose price is very high, any help on this will be appreciated ;)

Happy New Year!

Here is what you need, hxxp://www.66pacific.com/ph/simplest_ph.aspx

Using this circuit one could input this data (millovolts) to a analog input on the micro controller. Not sure how one would input this to a computer, and if you could you would need to know "C" programing language to be able to "interface" with the data for controling Solenoids for dosing.

Same goes for controlling temperature using a standard thermocouple input.

Reactions: zem
thats a great link GD :) do you have something similar for TDS? do you know how well it works? i would guess it works as good as a commercial one, thanks a lot it will be of great help, hopefully i will go shopping sometime in the near future once i get my plan complete ;)

Anyone,

What is "C programing" and where do I find information on it?

Thanks. everyone.

DonJones said:
Anyone,

What is "C programing" and where do I find information on it?

Thanks. everyone.

C is a windows programing language. Im sure there is info on the net.

But in order to use any data coming into or out of your computer your going to need a program to interpret the data, 0 -100 mv means nothing until you write a program that will display and interpret this data into a ph of 1 - 10 for ex.

I have never heard of C programming. About the only Windows programming languages that I knew of were BASIC and VISUAL BASIC and I know nothing about either of them. The last programming language I used was WATFOR (or maybe it was just WTFOR -- that was over 40years ago) which was a version of FORTRAN that had a lot of subroutines already built into it.

I'll have to check into it.

If I was going to use the computer idea that Zem has, I thing I would combine it with using the remote relays to actually control the devices simply so that I would be able to run smaller neater wiring to the Parallel port boards, although I guess If I ran longer parallel cables to the actual area of where the individual devices are that would probably accomplish the same thing.

Happy New Year and great smoking to all of you.

Everyone,

Here is an interesting controller. I found it in leafminer's thread on Auto TEMP, HUMIDITY, TIMERS control via WEB in this section.

Here is the link for it:

hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/Remotely-monitor-control-temp-humidity-I-O-WebControl_W0QQitemZ270526433070QQihZ017QQcategoryZ55834QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m444QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DCRX%26its%3DC%252**%26itu%3DSI%252BUA%252BLM%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7657503133192816751

It has both 8 digital and 3 analog inputs available as well as 8 discrete on/off outputs.

Would this be a better way to go than the parallel port device we were talking about?

Great smoking.

Don that is great! i read through and it seems it runs alone without a comp, however it can connect to internet i dunno how. its only 1W of power surely beats a whole PC constantly on. actually this isthemain reason i dropped theidea of using thecomputer system, it needs too much power to run it. can you explain for me in simpleenglish how this thing works? thanksfor theinput :D

Latest posts

Back