100 year mystery solved????????????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both of these books are a good start on understanding how the human mind works. If you click on the authors names, many many more are shown.

How the Mind Works by Steven Pinker

and

Brief History of the Mind: From Apes to Intellect and Beyond by William H. Calvin

Of course, there are hundreds of others.

Have fun!

What a very interesting and amusing thread. :) Thanks everyone!

As for me I am undecided about whether aliens exist or not. I have always been a skeptic. I am also very skeptical about if God & or Jesus ever existed. I need hard core proof!

This is what im saying. The event occured in 1908. In the studies ive seen the predicted blast was anywere from 15 to 80 megaton blast,depending on report. Im going to agree with around 80, because none factored in that it was anywere from 5 to 7 miles in air(the explosion). they were going by affects on ground as if whatever it was exploded ground zero. That is the same as nuclear warhead and more. In 1908 nuclear warheads wasnt even thought about. We had just got started flying good. So what could have cause such a thing, in the most remote location in world in 1908????? Aliens........... dont know just go by what u see. What sounds about right to me is the japenese theory, that it was alien spacecraft using some type of perpultion system that uses nuclear reactor. Ithink the name for it is d-stream. Gov has something like it in the works already i think.

title.gif

CLICK HERE for the entire article

In Brief:
At 7:17 AM on the morning of June 30, 1908, a mysterious explosion occurred in the skies over Siberia. It was caused by the impact and breakup of a large meteorite, at an altitude roughly six kilometers in the atmosphere.

What was the explosion?
Because the meteorite did not strike the ground or make a crater, early researchers thought the object might be a weak, icy fragment of a comet, which vaporized explosively in the air, and left no residue on the ground. However, modern planetary scientists have much better tools for understanding meteorite explosion in the atmosphere. As a meteorite slams into the atmosphere at speeds around 12 to 20 km/sec or more, it experiences a strong mechanical shock, like a diver bellyflopping into water. This can break apart stones of a certain size range, which explode instead of hitting the ground. Some of them drop brick-sized fragments on the ground, but others, such as the one that hit Siberia, may produce primarily a fireball and cloud of fine dust and tiny fragments. In 1993 researchers Chris Chyba, Paul Thomas, and Kevin Zahnle studied the Siberian explosion and concluded it was of this type -- a stone meteorite that exploded in the atmosphere. This conclusion was supported when Russian researchers found tiny stoney particles embedded in the trees at the collision site, matching the composition of common stone meteorites. The original asteroid fragment may have been roughly 50-60 meters (50-60 yards) in diameter.

If asteroids hit Earth, why don't we see more such explosions? Many asteroidal fragments circle the Sun; the Siberian object was merely the largest to hit the Earth in the last century or so. Had it hit a populated area, devastation would have been enormous. If there are many asteroid fragments, why don't we see more hits? We do! The problem is that they have not been understood until recently. Current studies reveal that such explosions may happen every couple of centuries; however, six out of seven happen over the ocean, and few happen over populated land. A key to the phenomenon is: the larger the impact the rarer it is. An Air Force satellite in the 1990s detected a smaller explosion over the Pacific. In 1972, a 1000-ton object skimmed tangentially through Earth's atmosphere over the Grand Tetons in Wyoming, and then skipped back out into space, like a stone skipping off water. It was photographed by tourists and detected by Air Force satellites. Had it continued on into the atmosphere, it could have caused a Hiroshima-scale explosion over Canada, somewhat smaller than the Siberian blast. Even larger objects have hit Earth, but they are more rare. For example, an iron asteroid fragment perhaps 100 m across hit Arizona about 20,000 years ago, leaving the kilometer-wide "Arizona Meteor Crater," which is open to visitors; and a 10-km asteroid hit Earth 65 million years ago, ending the reign of dinosaurs. Brick-sized interplanetary stones fall from the sky in various locations every year. Several houses and a car have been hit in recent decades. Tiny dust grains are even more common; they can be seen every night if you watch long enough; they are the bright streaks of light sometimes called "shooting stars." Interplanetary space contains many small bodies of different sizes. All of them move in elliptical orbits around the sun as prescribed by Kepler. Occasionally their orbits intersect those of planets, leading to a collision. Large enough bodies leave sizable craters on planets or satellites. This explains why impact craters are present on surfaces of planets and moons throughout the solar system. If we continue to study asteroids and build more telescopes for detecting and tracking them, we will have better information about the frequency of such asteroid impact-explosions, and more chance to have warning about impending impacts.

CLICK HERE for the entire description in Wikipedia

The Tunguska event was an explosion that occurred at 60°55′N 101°57′E, near the Podkamennaya (Under Rock) Tunguska River in what is now Evenk Autonomous Okrug, at 7:17 AM on June 30, 1908. The event is sometimes referred to as the Great Siberian Explosion.

The explosion was probably caused by the airburst of an asteroid or comet 5 to 10 kilometers (3–6 mi) above the Earth's surface. The energy of the blast was later estimated to be between 10 and 20 megatons of TNT, which would be equivalent to Castle Bravo, the most powerful nuclear bomb ever detonated by the US. It felled an estimated 60 million trees over 2,150 square kilometers (830 sq mi). An overhead satellite view centered at 60.917N 101.95E (near ground zero for this event) shows an area of reduced forest density, with a fully visible irregular clearing of somewhat less than one square kilometer in area.

In recent history, the Tunguska event stands out as one of the rare large-scale demonstrations that a full doomsday event is a real possibility for the human race.

I Think This Is Why We Should Be Greatfull To Have A Atmosphere, And Stop Destroying It. MayBe We Should Be Lucky It Happend Back Then And Not Now, Because Our Weakend Atmo..... May Not Be Able To Protect Us Today Like It Did Back Then.

JOHNNY"GREEN"APPLESEED said:
global warming our number 1 threat to life.
Or not...

Global warming is a natural geological process that could begin to reverse itself within 10 to 20 years, predicts an Ohio State University researcher.
The researcher suggests that atmospheric carbon dioxide -- often thought of as a key "greenhouse gas" -- is not the cause of global warming. The opposite is most likely to be true, according to Robert Essenhigh, E.G. Bailey Professor of Energy Conservation in Ohio State's Department of Mechanical Engineering. It is the rising global temperatures that are naturally increasing the levels of carbon dioxide, not the other way around, he says.
Many people blame global warming on carbon dioxide sent into the atmosphere from burning fossil fuels in man-made devices such as automobiles and power plants. Essenhigh believes these people fail to account for the much greater amount of carbon dioxide that enters -- and leaves -- the atmosphere as part of the natural cycle of water exchange from, and back into, the sea and vegetation.
Compared to man-made sources' emission of about 5 to 6 billion tons per year, the natural sources would then account for more than 95 percent of all atmospheric carbon dioxide, Essenhigh said.
"At 6 billion tons, humans are then responsible for a comparatively small amount - less than 5 percent - of atmospheric carbon dioxide," he said. "And if nature is the source of the rest of the carbon dioxide, then it is difficult to see that man-made carbon dioxide can be driving the rising temperatures. In fact, I don't believe it does."

CLICK HERE for the entire article

Dude there is no way i believe that the effects will reverse. The biggest reason is automobiles etc havent been here forever. It has been proven it has been the hottest in the last 10 years than it has ever been recorded by man. His math is wrong also,if we put 76 million tons in the air a day times 365 that is 27,740,000,000 billon ton a year. If 90% of that iceshelf has melted in a 100yrs. There is no way effects will reverse.

Where did you get the 76 million tons per/day figure? He said 5 or 6 Billion tons per/year from man is 5% of the total. That's 16.44 million tons per/day.

Well, anyway, the entire thing is speculation on both sides. The cause and effect hasn't any proof from either. Just speculation.

Any way you look at it, man is only responsible for 5% of the total CO2 each year. The other 95% is the real picture.

CO2 isn't the cause, it's the result of global warming. Solar activity is the cause of the warming trend, and it will come and go as it always has.

Global warming panic is a case of "Chicken Little" running around screaming that the sky is falling after an apple falls on his head.

I wasnt saying the scientist said it. I was saying that is how much we actually put in the air. 76 millontons a day. You noticed at the end he says thats what he THINKS.

Also u say it will go away. So can u explain bad weather all over the world. Like Greenland and tornadoes this year,they dont have tornadoes. I mean the facts are out there,the oceans are rising faster than expected. The seasons u cant tell one from another etc.

Yea Season's Seem To Run Together Anymore When I Was A Kid I Can Remember Having A White Christmas All The Time, But I Havent Had 1 In Almost 5 Years. I Beleve This Is A Obivious Sighn Somthing Is Going Wrong On This Planet, I Might Not See The Full Affect's Of It, But I Would Say IT Have A Big Impact on Future Generations.

The earth has undergone extreme climate changes before, and it will again. With or without socker mom's and their SUV's.

hey Stoney, the "Chicken Little" syndrome...wasn't that another of Al Gores inventions?..:p
;) heee hee...Chicken little and the internet...

Now don't misunderstand me, I think we definately should be researching alternative, cleaner fuels. Fossil fuels have controlled this world long enough, but to imply that their use is the cause of a global climate change is....well, still being debated, at best.

Hick said:
Now don't misunderstand me, I think we definately should be researching alternative, cleaner fuels. Fossil fuels have controlled this world long enough, but to imply that their use is the cause of a global climate change is....well, still being debated, at best.

I think Taco Bell is also a major contributer to noxious fumes into the atmosphere. :p

Mutt said:
I think Taco Bell is also a major contributer to noxious fumes into the atmosphere. :p

So are aliens and their dammed U.F.O's:headbang2:

I wasnt saying the scientist said it. I was saying that is how much we actually put in the air. 76 millontons a day. You noticed at the end he says thats what he THINKS.
No. He's given evidence that it's actually 150 Billion tons of CO2 put into the atmosphere each year in total. Only 6 Billion of that is caused by man. That's only 14.6 million tons per/day.

The thinking of a person who is a Professor of Energy Conservation in Ohio State's Department of Mechanical Engineering is someone who deserves to be listened to. His "thinking" is extremly educated in this issue.

Also u say it will go away. So can u explain bad weather all over the world. Like Greenland and tornadoes this year,they dont have tornadoes. I mean the facts are out there,the oceans are rising faster than expected. The seasons u cant tell one from another etc.
Yes, the bad weather is caused by the global warming. That doesn't mean that the global warming is caused by man. One has nothing to do with the other. In a couple of decades, the weather patterns will shift again. Until then, piddley little mankind better watch out for twisters and the like.

I tried to dig a storm celler in my house, but it kept filling up with water! Damn swamp!

Whoa, I had a post disappear into cyber-space on this thread earlier!!!

What a trip man! I'm reading this post and on TV I'm watching history channel and they have on Last Days on Earth and they are basically arguing the same thing....

We don't need to worry about an asteroid hitting us...we humans are our own worst enemy, we're by far more dangerous than outer space, we'll take ourselves out first.

Ravishing_68 said:
we humans are our own worst enemy, we're by far more dangerous than outer space, we'll take ourselves out first.

You're right about one thing. We're the most dangerous species to ever inhabit earth.

However, their is one dominant characteristic of any species; it's will to survive at all costs. Humans are the same. When placed into a situation where absolute survival is the only care left, the human species will survive.

We can't eliminate our own species. It's not allowed in nature.

Nature always wins.

Mankind will never control nature.

We might kill all but a few thousand people on the planet, but those few will survive and repopulate the entire thing. It will just keep happening until we get it right.

Hey, we're getting it right, right here on MP!

Fire up another one and be cool to everyone else.

What more could be said?

Latest posts

Back