150 vs 400 heat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASEgrower

Reaction score
Hey fellas or ladies, I got a question. I have been working with a 150w HPS sun systems all in one, with the ballast and bulb all built into the hood, etc. I am wanting to move up to a 400W HPS. I am using a sealed and enclosed box with a passive intake and a 240cfm inline 6" fan exhausting. Temp stays good, no other problems. My question is how much more heat would a 400s HPs with a remote ballast make if I mount the ballast outside the box. Basically I am taking away the 150 all in one inside the box and replacing it with just the 400w bulb and reflector, mounting the ballast outside the box. How much heat does the ballast make in relation to the light?

Ok this may not help you but, one of my grow boxes has a 600 watter with a ac hood in there with a 435 cfm, if my room is 70 my box likes to sit around 75

Assuming an inductive ballast, these should be at least 85% efficient, so the 400W lamp will be consuming about 470W, the ballast will be dissipating around 70W of heat. I don't know the efficiency of an HPS but at a rough guess it might be as high as 30%, so the lamp itself will be producing around 280W of heat.

I've never run a 150, but I would think (I'm just guessing here) that with the ballast being remote, and the 150 your ballst was fixed, I would bet that they just about even out...like I said it's a guess though. I run a 400w in my veg, and 600w in flower, but both of my reflectors are air cooled, so as long as my fans stay running I don't have a heat problem...right now I'm worried about the cold, in my dark cycle....put an electric heater in the area, and hung plastic to make sort of a make shift room around my sheds, to experiment with temps. So far I have it 70 inside the plastic, and 58 outside...wonder what the heater will raise the electric bill...lol

legalize_freedom said:
I've never run a 150, but I would think (I'm just guessing here) that with the ballast being remote, and the 150 your ballst was fixed, I would bet that they just about even out...like I said it's a guess though. I run a 400w in my veg, and 600w in flower, but both of my reflectors are air cooled, so as long as my fans stay running I don't have a heat problem...right now I'm worried about the cold, in my dark cycle....put an electric heater in the area, and hung plastic to make sort of a make shift room around my sheds, to experiment with temps. So far I have it 70 inside the plastic, and 58 outside...wonder what the heater will raise the electric bill...lol
Thats kind of what my thought was, though I still expect more heat from a 400. I think I am going to try it anyway.:D

yeah, you would definately want to do some test runs before placing any plants in the area

Marihuanaträumt said:
Right now it is 68 in my house and 75 in my box
Thats definately not too bad then. Gonna have to do some thinking and whatnot I guess.

I have recently went from a 250w to a 400. Keeping all of my ventilation the same I have noticed an increase of about 10-15 degrees, depending on the ambient temp outside. But on those hot days temps soar to around 90ish. :/

Latest posts

Back