18/6 Or 24!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tool46

Reaction score
So what do you guys think 18/6 or the 24hours light schedule? I'm just curious what everyone uses around here?

24/0.. no need for dark during veg.
I have ran side-by-side tests. plants under 24/0 will produce the same number of nodes in a given time, as plants on 18/6...BUT, they wil be closer together, more compact.
The myth, that they will grow faster under 18/6 comes from the mis=conception, that stretching is growing faster.

my only reasoning has been cost, and less stretching once flipped.
Until tests are done there will be pro's and con's as to both methods.
Sit on the fence perhaps 20/4

i do 18/6. they reason is i don't like lights being on in my buildin all night long, so the cut off at dark and come back on 6 hours later when everyones asleep. it makes me feel better so that good enough for me.

first step, baby to juvenile = 24 hrs
get it to veg, flip it to 18/6 hr off
once sexes matures, remove males out of their way
and flip 12/12 for females to flower..

this is fine line where you can see more forums like this... I hope I did help you this one

hey hick... I thought 6 hours of dark helps stems to grow better and makes leaves to go down, when lights get on, leaves go up
it help em to grow more leaves from the shoots out area.. if I stays with 24 hrs the shoots out will have hard time to get up with the lights unless have lot lot of lights all around the plants, then its no problem to grow 24/7 in veg.. is that right?

I have always been a 24/7 kind of gal.

There is no evidence to suggest that plants in veg need a dark time or that a dark time benefits growth. The only reason that I can see to go 18/6 is if you need the room to cool down or you want to save electricity. However, IMO, you may save some kilowatt hours, but you are sacrificing some growth and/or lengthening your veg time.

on another forum I was on, I "read" that the lower the hours of light the more likely it was to be female. example would be 16/8 would make more females than 18/6 and 12/12 from seed would produce more than 16/8. But im not sure this is true. But ill beleieve it for now

Im not 100% but it made since. Other ways where like higher N, More light in the 6000k+ light the more females.........But im not saying I know for a fact but just thought I would chime in

But to answer your question I like 16/8, unless im growing autos which i grow 19/5 because I want the lights off when im not here.

The dark time encourages root growth and stratch not vegitation growth, I do 24/7 while in veg, and 18/6 the first tow weeks of seedling and clone to get thew roots goin...

I do 18/6, just because thats what i read to do. Havnt had a chance to experiment. Perhaps i should.

Exarmy said:
on another forum I was on, I "read" that the lower the hours of light the more likely it was to be female. example would be 16/8 would make more females than 18/6 and 12/12 from seed would produce more than 16/8. But im not sure this is true. But ill beleieve it for now

Im not 100% but it made since. Other ways where like higher N, More light in the 6000k+ light the more females.........But im not saying I know for a fact but just thought I would chime in

But to answer your question I like 16/8, unless im growing autos which i grow 19/5 because I want the lights off when im not here.
you mean like this..http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21546

:L: was speaking primarily of clones, and flourescents.. guess that I should have clarified it.. :(
I prefer to allow cooling for HiD 'n ballasts too..

I prefer 18/6 to veg with... just for power cost issues. But, either or is just as good man. Really there is little to no difference in growth rate between 18/6 and 24/0.

If you run hid's to veg i suggest like hick said to give your ballasts and lights time off . Cfl's or tube flo's can be run 24hours a day 7 days a week but really it's un necessary.

Really.... it's all the growers personal preference.

Thanks for everyone's reply's! I think im going to go with 18/6 for a couple reasons one to give my lights time off and two because 18/6 just seems more natural to me.

IME, I did grew some crops in the tub when I lived in apt, it grew under the cfls, with too much of lights, like 18/6 does cause to have little roots in the soils.. the same pot size I has at outside in the woods, those roots was doing very well than in the apt I has.. outdoor is natural of 12/12 maybe little of 10/14 due of sunrise and sunset.. imo roots is very important good roots means good health of plants life..

Latest posts

Back