1st Time Grow - Any Suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anmut

Reaction score
Hey all - been lurking for a month or so now and have learned a lot, so thanks!

Anyway - here's a quick summary. I got some bag seeds that I decided to germinate for the heck of it on the 8th of December. Well I had six come up and suddenly I've gotten serious about making this a good grow. I started with four 48" lights for their first 2.5 weeks - now for the past three days I got some real lighting, 400watt MH (HPS for flowering as well), and put together a new closet complete with a carbon scrubber.

I'm using FoxFarm organic soil and I've got some organic fish/kelp nutes that I've being ever careful with. Now these are bag seeds so I'm not sure of their background but I'd like opinions on how these plants look. They seem to have stopped growing vertical and are starting to bush out - is this normal?

Also this is not a real post about anything I'm doing. Just some photos I found online and I'm writing it up as a hypothesis only.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Oh, and before anyone says anything, my lamp hood is still on it's way to be delivered... :)

Welcome to the site friend,
Looks to me like your all wired and good to go. Don't think twice about not having your hood yet. Sheeesh my setup is just now getting complete.
I notice that you have placed some light in the rear corners, that will help get light into the undergrowth, but I really think that your starting to get back what you have invested into your babies. Well done and keep it growing. Here is a little something for your grow.
_GREEN MOJO_
th_GreenMojo 9.jpg

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

th_GreenMojo 9.jpg

Looking :aok: so far plant wise man . IMO though those fluros that your using for side lighting need to be a bit closer at the distance they look in that pic they are not really all that effective, what i mean is that the lumen they are putting out the plants are not getting much of it fluros dont have great penetration for growing thats why they have to be closer to the plant and when using a side mount style of grow you will want to turn your plants every few days :bong2: but all in all man looking good :cool2:

Thanks guys - I originally intended to use the fluros along with the MH but it raises the temp by 5f to have them on. That and with the suggestion of the small penetration I have turned them off. I'm going to relocate the fluros if I can pull a lady out of these and use them as the clone lights. I turned them on just for the photo. That MH light is way to bright for the digi!

Right now my temps are right at 80f, a bit on the high side but I'm working on a solution to get it back into the 70's.

Yeah those 400 watters sure do make it shine nice and bright it your grow room.. But everything is looking nice and your plants look green and healthy which is good.. Not sure if you no about the Grow Journal section on this forum but it is a great place to keep a log of your grow and get help from some of the better growers on here so check it out! Good luck with the grow and watch out for the bag seed (it always goes hermi on me) Think about getting some quality seeds and you'll be set

Yeah I'm a bit worried about the bag seed. Damn though seeds are expensive to buy. Also I'm a bit paranoid about having them sent to the house. I got the seed out of some stuff that was grown out doors and was allowed to hermi real bad.

BizzyHigh said:
Yeah those 400 watters sure do make it shine nice and bright it your grow room.. But everything is looking nice and your plants look green and healthy which is good.. Not sure if you no about the Grow Journal section on this forum but it is a great place to keep a log of your grow and get help from some of the better growers on here so check it out! Good luck with the grow and watch out for the bag seed (it always goes hermi on me) Think about getting some quality seeds and you'll be set

Yeah I have been ready MANY grow journals to compare others progress with my own.

Yeah your right those little guys are quite expensive but a grow can only be as good as the seed you start with.. Remember to never have seeds sent to the same place you are growing ;) I've heard great things about www.drchronic.com

So far so good. That's the one downside working with bagseed they tend to hermie. Not all of them but most of them. Here's some GREEN MOJO to give them a boost. ;)

Update - they're twice as big as seen in the photos from being under the MH for just week. They're looking good and coming up on their first month's true birthday. That mean in four weeks I took seeds and turned them into 9" tall x 13" wide bushes. I'll give them a couple more weeks on the MH and then start to flower them on the HPS.

Btw it is incredible the amount of growth per-day these can go. I measure in 24h periods and it's not uncommon to see a whole inch a day or more in growth. Wow!

Latest posts

Back