3 days of darkness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganja_Greg

Cannabis Cultivation
Reaction score
anyone ever heard of doin 3 days of darkness before harvest? to trick the plant into thinking it was dieing and pushing all the thc to the buds??

Ive never heard of 3 days but i have heard of doing total dark for one day.

Ive also never heard anything about the 3 days....Im really not sure if that has any credentials anyways....anyone?

I have read about it many times, I think the science nerds on this site proved it wrong :/ Beware science nerds coming and that is not a bad thing. In our dreams the plant thinks the season is ending and it finishes early or releases more THC.

This comes up up all the time, until we have some sort of THC test im not buying it.

it makes no sense, it's not even logical. plant needs light to make THC. that's definitive, somewhere in the resources i read it.. prolly in another post like this.

ok how about this question then lol.. has anyone seen how long it will take a plant on 12/12 from seed to harvest in? total time from seed to finish

yes, why give the plant any less light than it needs to make as much thc as possible and to make those compounds you need growth and you cant have any growth with out light.

myth.

tried it and it did nothing but hinder yeild.... id rather leave the light on for three days at the end than off for the days.

what about bringing the plant into flower and then once it has started flowering, increase to 13 or 14 on or more, thus increasing the plants potential to create THC. Has anyone ever done that.

The plant needs light to produce thc. it will probably **** the light cycle up...wouldent try it

I had read an article by DJ Short on this where it was talking about flowering light times and it had mentioned that a strict 12/12 light schedule was not the best for a flowering plant. He recommended a varied time flowering period where the lights come on around a set time and go off around a set time but within only a 15 min window. Ive noticed that we also get a lot of,"why cant i smell my plant" questions on here too and in the same read i had seen where he also said that your light distance can be the cause of potency and aroma problems. He went on about how many if not all indoor growers try to maintain the best light coverage they possible can by keeping the lights close to the plant as attributing to the loss. I just had to raise my lights due to the size of the Thai skunk sativas i have growing (5.5ft with an 7.5 ft ceiling) but i noticed that my satori plants are now loads more aromatic.

Ganja Greg said:
has anyone seen how long it will take a plant on 12/12 from seed to harvest in? total time from seed to finish
theres a few of the 12/12 from seed grows in the grow journals part of the forum Ive read a few of them and for this growing technique you looking at about 4-6 weeks till the plant will force flower and then its flowering period, that is a real strain dependent issue if your looking for a fast grow like that IMO id go with a low rider it stays on 12/12 for its life span.

Towards the end of my flower cycle I will increase the dark cycle by 10 min per 4 days to mimic (a sped up process) the longer nights and shorter days that start to come into effect at the end of the life cycle.

I would not recommend the three day or increasing your light.

Just playing with fire here. I have had plants go hermi so quick due to fluctuations in the light cycle.

...or the three day dark could indeed stress the plant thus making the potency spice.

Do a control and find out.

Dubbaman said:
I had read an article by DJ Short on this where it was talking about flowering light times and it had mentioned that a strict 12/12 light schedule was not the best for a flowering plant. He recommended a varied time flowering period where the lights come on around a set time and go off around a set time but within only a 15 min window. Ive noticed that we also get a lot of,"why cant i smell my plant" questions on here too and in the same read i had seen where he also said that your light distance can be the cause of potency and aroma problems. He went on about how many if not all indoor growers try to maintain the best light coverage they possible can by keeping the lights close to the plant as attributing to the loss. I just had to raise my lights due to the size of the Thai skunk sativas i have growing (5.5ft with an 7.5 ft ceiling) but i noticed that my satori plants are now loads more aromatic.

theres a few of the 12/12 from seed grows in the grow journals part of the forum Ive read a few of them and for this growing technique you looking at about 4-6 weeks till the plant will force flower and then its flowering period, that is a real strain dependent issue if your looking for a fast grow like that IMO id go with a low rider it stays on 12/12 for its life span.

I've sexed like 15-20 plants now of varying strains and all have shown sex before I've flowered, I don't see how 12/12 would help from seed to be speedy.. Better off just getting a quicker strain to rush flower time.

You're totally right dub, about the aromatic increase. I also raised lights cause of an afghan stretchin like crazy in the flower spurt, now since most plants are between 15-20" away instead of 10-12" the room is just amazingly aromatic. Also smells quite a bit more at night than during the day. Something from the HPS must reduce some odors, I've heard about odor eliminating bulbs maybe it's not as far fetched as I thought.

All I got was mold and a big headache and a lot of extra work when my power was out for a few days... Turning lights out too long is a big risk in a humid climate. I vote no way. :peace:

if its at the end before chop- go for it...but its jibberish anyway.

and yes changing the light cycle in the middle of the stage then going back to normal will cause hermis if they carry the triat.

im with dison'- leave them be....till you chop.

Latest posts

Back