400 watt hps bulb

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
will i be ok to grow a healthy plant with just this one bulb i do not have a metal halide bulb i hear ur supposed to switch lamps. whats the worse that can happen if i do use this hps bulb???

i have a 400 watt hps bulb will i be able to use this for the veg stage as well?? i hear ur suposed to used metal halide!!! whats the worst that can happen?

rbrassard04910 said:
i have a 400 watt hps bulb will i be able to use this for the veg stage as well?? i hear ur suposed to used metal halide!!! whats the worst that can happen?
You've got nothing to worry about. A Metal Halide would work for vegging, better than an HPS, but the HPS will work just fine.

I use HPS exclusively in my grow rooms. Ebb and Flow Hydro with HPS covering it.

I get great results. So can you.

I have not seen a difference in grows from using HPS, MH, or CCFL (correctly) during veg. growth. SO I say go for it. THe worst that could happen (IS GOING TO HAPPEN) is a higher elec. bill. I would always go CCFL until the plants are too big. But, If you have to...it will work fine :)

You'll do fine with just the HPS. It's better to just have an HPS than to just have an MH. Halides just have a better spectrum for vegging, but an HPS will do fine for both flowering and vegging when needed.

hey there
first off id like to suggest reading much more thoroughly
but i can tell you from experience with the 400hps that yes you can
use high pressure sodium bulbs through the entire growth stage.
Cannabis prefers to be vegatated under the white/blue spectrum (MH) and
flowered with a red/orange (HPS) spectrum. Although, a weed plant will grow properly if either spectrum is used the entire time.
Its better actually to use just HPS if you dont have the mh. It will work great. Ive done it.
Different strains will react differently being vegged under the wrong spectrum (HPS). But for the most part youll be fine. So nothing bad whatsoever can happen if you keep that bad boy at a proper distance away from your canopy (the tops of your plants). But, please read read read before hand. You cant understand how much it will help you. There will be so many un-expected things/questions that will pop up believe me. its better to go into battle prepared yknow? anyways hope this helps, dont get frusterated keep at it.

the don

we answered your other thread already. You dont really need to make two identical threads. You should delete this one as it does not belong in this section. ;)

I am using a 400hps for the first time as my veg light and It is giving me much better results than with a cfl. I will probably use it for veg from now on. I turn it off for six hours a day just to save a little money on my electric bill.

I shopped around online last week for a new hps bulb and I noticed that a lot companies are advertising that they have extra blue spectrum added to the hps bulbs. My light is kicking *** in my veg room, I might never go back to cfls again.

gmo said:
You'll do fine with just the HPS. It's better to just have an HPS than to just have an MH. Halides just have a better spectrum for vegging, but an HPS will do fine for both flowering and vegging when needed.

GMO-
Have you grown out a complete grow strictly under a MH bulb?

Lots of factors to consider. Each have their repective benefits in regards to light spectrum, output range, and the specific wavelengths and how those wavelengths "excite" the different pigments in the plant.

Just my opinion.

good one HPS working better than CFL :) i think we new that already :)
try HORTILUX - BLUE u will like it good luck .

Latest posts

Back